Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • iPhone 11/Windows 10/photo transfer struggle
  • breadcrumb

I’m hoping someone can offer some advice before I launch my wife’s iPhone through the window!

When trying to transfer photos to the laptop the folders within the DCIM folder are showing empty. I think she’s got something like 15000 photos and videos on there and the phone storage is full.

She had iCloud which I thought might of been the problem so I downloaded the photos from that and it was cancelled.

So basically how do I take the photos from her iPhone 11 iOS 13 and wack them on the laptop?

Thanks in advance..

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

I don’t understand why you cancelled iCloud. It is the easiest way of managing this problem. Install the iCloud client on the laptop and let it happily sync your photos. Set photos on the iPhone to manage its own storage and you are good.

Even without iCloud, I would use the windows 10 photos app to download the photos, on my laptop, it recognises that I have plugged in a phone and asks to if I want to transfer the files.

breadcrumb

She/we struggled to access the iCloud, but that was realistically probably user error.

Windows is not offering the usual prompts when you plug a device in containing photos.

She is happy to upgrade to the paid iCloud for extra storage but the rate she takes photos I fear it’s just a sticky plaster.

I just can’t see why I can’t access the photos on the laptop like I can with my android phones and cameras.

We have an older Windows 7 laptop (offline) and that doesn’t see anything either.

I’ve told her to start WhatsApp’ing the photos to me but she’s not keen with the volume 😆

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

Tried it your way and I can access the folder and subfolders. The phone is unlocked and set to trust the laptop?

breadcrumb

How do I check that?

Just to add I’m an Android user and have no experience of Apple!

breadcrumb

The subfolders show but appear empty.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

As in unlocked, entered passcode, and confined the dialog which says trust this computer.

One other thing to check, IOS does not use jpeg to store your photos, it uses heic. On the iOS settings, go to photos, scroll down and it will say something like transfer to Mac / pc. Is it set to automatic?

breadcrumb

Just reset the privacy settings on the iPhone, plugged it into the laptop. Pop up on the phone, trusted the computer. Pop up on the laptop-

“We’re having trouble connection

Make sure your device is unlocked and that you accept the notification to connect”

breadcrumb

It looks like something’s happening…

“Looking for new photos and videos”

It was stuck on zero for a long time, now it’s up to 11795.

One other thing to check, IOS does not use jpeg to store your photos, it uses heic. On the iOS settings, go to photos, scroll down and it will say something like transfer to Mac / pc. Is it set to automatic?

I can’t seem to find this..

breadcrumb

Stuck in this now

[url=https://postimages.org/]free image host no sign up[/url]

?

breadcrumb

The subfolders are showing files, but a lot are not viewable. Also they they are tiny. Like 150kb.

I hate Apple.

aP
    Free Member

Bet your wife’s happy that you’ve lost all her photos. Maybe book into an Apple Store for some technical help?

breadcrumb

Still on the phone seemingly, taking up 50gb+ of space anyways!

She wishes she had bought a camera now!

breadcrumb

I’ll see if they Apple can help via live chat or on the phone.

I love tech except for when I hate it.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

I bet you can only see the thumbnails. Open the settings app on the iPhone. Scroll down to photos open that and check the transfer option.

To be honest the easiest way of dealing with this is the one that you turned off.

Turn back on iCloud, pay the small monthly fee for a bit.

Install the iCloud app on your pc and set it to download the photos.

Your iPhone should then offload the files to iCloud (where it will then sync to your laptop) and manage its storage itself.

Being brutal, if you don’t understand, use the simple tools they give you.

breadcrumb

Right, it’s already set to automatic on the file transfer.

When she was making use of 5gb cloud we couldn’t access/download on to the laptop.

My android phone could though so I downloaded the 5gb on that and then transferred it on to the laptop (external harddrive).

I guess we’ll look at using the cloud again. Just annoying I can’t just lift the photos on the usual manner.

breadcrumb

And thanks for your help @ Kellies heros

breadcrumb

Well after 40 minutes speaking with Apple I still have a phone with too many photos! I feel a little less useless now.

It appears it may be too full to back up to the iCloud, looks like some photos will need deleted to make some space. That’s his theory anyways. 🤞

breadcrumb

Repost

johnhe

FYI, I pay about £30 per year for iCloud storage. That gets me the basic first step up louve, of storage, which is 200GB. That’s a lot of photos.

That may not help, if you’re struggling to get your photos up onto iCloud.

I agree it’s really hassly.

phil5556

Once you get this all sorted iCloud really is the best way to do it. My photos just appear on the computer with no intervention. And they get automatically backed up somewhere safe every day.

Have you checked how much space you have available in iCloud?

(I used to use Google to do the same until they changed the way it worked and no longer added your photos to drive).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 11/Windows 10/photo transfer struggle’ is closed to new replies.