IPad, tablets etc what are they actually for?

Home Forum Chat Forum IPad, tablets etc what are they actually for?

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • IPad, tablets etc what are they actually for?
  • slowjo

Silly question maybe. But it is that time of ear when hints begin to be dropped.

The person in question has an iMac, a MacBook Pro and a smart phone. So where does the tablet fit in? What does it do that the others can’t?

Quite happy to accept I may have missed a fairly fundamental point here but to my eyes, it seems as if they are a solution looking for a problem.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

The person in question has an iMac, a MacBook Pro and a smart phone. So where does the tablet fit in? What does it do that the others can’t?

It completes the set?

slowjo

LOL!

That had crossed my mind.

boblo

It’s for the masses to sit in front of the telly smurfing the net. No real input or maintenance required and takes the genre almost to the level of other on/off consumer goods I.e. No knowledge needed of the workings, no fragile software that requires arcane start/stop processes and they are very, very good at just doing simple stuff simply.

z1ppy

Stop thinking of them in terms of being a laptop, there different things. Ok, yes you can be productive on them if you want to be, but that not normally why ppl want them.
    If you have a smart phone, you’ll understand there capabilities but with a decent sized screen (unless you’ve one of those stupidly big phones..).
    Think of it as coffee table device that just quick & convenient.

slowjo

So…a bit of techno fluff then. 🙂

Candy crush.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

they make a snazzy little camera

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

Think of it as coffee table device that just quick & convenient.

Yep. If I’#m doing something ‘proper’ e.g. spreadsheet, working on something more formal than a forum/facebook post then I prefer to use the laptop. But if you just want to find out the phone number for that restaurant, or check the weather for tomorrow’s ride, or any of those quick web based things that we do then the tablet (Nexus 7 here) is great.

z1ppy

Loving the matching outfit ^^^^

So…a bit of techno fluff then.

Yep, if you want, but like all techno fluff you’ll be amazed how quickly they simply become part of your life.. everyone love convenience after all.

Anyways it ain’t for you, so stop being judgemental & start saving… 😀

EDIT: I really think there especially ace for ‘older’ generation, as there ease of use and quick to learn (little to learn really)

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Wouldn’t be without mine now. Rarely use the laptop unless photo processing etc. Great little things to have around. I have a nexus 7 which is great but looks like you’ll be spending twice the amount for an apple for the set. Makes sense I suppose if already used to that UI.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Candy crush.

…Clash of Clans, Paradise Cove. I guess mrs aracer does use it for browsing the net, but I prefer a proper keyboard.

slowjo

Anyways it ain’t for you, so stop being judgemental & start saving…

True!

Must take grumpy old man hat off more often and embrace the consumerist world!

Now if it was a pair of carbon wheels for my road bike, or a nice new frame for the replacement SS I have been promising myself for years……

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

What them lot said. Instant On/Off, lot more convenient to use than a laptop (but no, not as “productive”) TBH my main uses are email and web surfing/googling – stuff I might not bother firing up the PC for – but I have some films, books, magazines, iplayer and a couple of games on there too. Bit of a toy, as so many things are, but at times genuinely useful too.

donks

I haven’t used mine for about 6 months
    Seriously the kids pretty much have it when ever they are at home. The older one just watches smosh or something on YouTube and his little brother cbbies on iplayer…. And the wife on that Facebook.
    If I need the internet I just use my phone…
    We talked about going camping in the summer and the kids are refusing to go if there’s no internet connection… I only have my self to blame I suppose for getting sold on all this tech.

aphex_2k

If you have to ask, then you probably don’t need one.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

We talked about going camping in the summer and the kids are refusing to go if there’s no internet connection… I only have my self to blame I suppose for getting sold on all this tech.

Sister in laws eldest did the same won’t go where there was no connection.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

as a parent with younguns thats pretty scary about the internet addiction, sounds like the next generations obesity crisis is gonna be off the hook!

I run a business from one. Accounts, website, email, editing, mapping, music, documents and so on. Renders a PC or laptop redundant.

wors

I run a business from one. Accounts, website, email, editing, mapping, music, documents and so on. Renders a PC or laptop redundant.

How do you store all your files?

I have currently about 600GB of Data so I need a pc or something to store everything.

As above though, very handy for most uses, too handy sometimes when it comes to buying things! 😳

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Quick and easy to use as others have said – the only time I’ll bother with the laptop now is for photo work or much more in depth word processing etc. Oh, and for uploading files from my Garmin to Strava.

Otherwise the tablet is so easy to go to for internet, reading (Kindle app, plus a few magazine/newspaper apps), Netflix, YouTube, Skype, internet radio etc. It’s just more convenient.

We got my Mum one for Christmas a couple of years ago, again asking the same questions – what will she use it for? – but she’s never without it now.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

How do you store all your files?

I have currently about 600GB of Data so I need a pc or something to store everything.
    Cloud/Web/Network – if your storing 600GB (not much these days) in 1 place then your not doing it right.

Still tablets are there and do stuff that most people want. Remember most people probably use 5% of the computers they own simply viewing/editing little bits of data. The movement to tablets really depends on the take up of the cloud ideas which remove the hardware and processing from the user and puts it back end.

If we get the jump in processing that we got over the last few years we might swing back to desktop.

Historically on a lacie drive, which is still where any video footage goes, mainly because my go pro is not tablet friendly and my laptop still seems the best place to edit video. May well change this tho as I have editing software on my tablet, yet to investigate it fully.

Any new stuff is on google drive with images syncing to google plus. Initially a bit off faff converting all my MS docs to google but now its bye bye microsoft office.

aphex_2k

If cloud’s no good to you for storage what about a wifi enabled hard drive?

as a parent with younguns thats pretty scary about the internet addiction, sounds like the next generations obesity crisis is gonna be off the hook!

Only if you let them get addicted. There are things called books, boardgames, puzzles, gardens, fields, forests, rivers, parks that have been around for years y’know.

We stayed in the New Forest this year. No internet. No mobile signal. Only had the TV on for an hour (each morning). Can’t understand how that can be a problem when you have a garden and/or the great outdoors.

EDIT: re iPads, I’ve just started letting my 3 yr old use it for 10 mins a day. Naturally he gets the hump because he wants to keep playing on it. But he gets over it soon enough.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Convenience mainly. My iPad is mainly used for reading the newspapers in bed / checking mail etc. MBP lives downstairs..

I’ll be getting the new iPad Air at the WE as my 1st Gen iPad is just so slow now.

wors

If cloud’s no good to you for storage what about a wifi enabled hard drive?

Just looking at these at the moment, looking at binning the pc as it’s old and slow.

Easy enough to transfer photo’s from a camera to a wifi hard drive via an ipad?

Suddenly feel like a luddite 😆

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Easy enough to transfer photo’s from a camera to a wifi hard drive via an ipad?

I’m sure it’s possible, but not that simple. iOS makes access to drives quite hard, you have to use Apps.

I have a set of USB hard drives plugged into an Airport Extreme, so they all appear as network drives to all the OSX devices. Can’t see them from iOS devices though…

Premier Icon verses
    Subscriber

When I got a smartphone it replaced the laptop for general web usage (browsing, news, weather, social networking, here, etc), but small screen size got irritating after a while.

I now have a 9″ tablet which gets used instead of my phone (bonus is that my phone used to struggle to last a day on a charge but now does comfortably).

If I could read my Garmin from my tablet the laptop would almost become useless for me.

EDIT: Oooooo, this might do it!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carlopescio.uploader&hl=en

jekkyl

to keep my toddler amused while we do the chores.
    to provide internet radio, coupled with half decent speakers while making the sunday dinner/bicycle repair/making bread/cakes etc.
    to quickly look up ‘who’s that’ on imdb when watching a movie.
    to skype grandma and uncle malcolm in japan.
    to play Candy Crush 😀

In future all my cameras will be wifi/smart. Images and video strait to cloud is the way to go.

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

I was sceptical , but having bought the daughter an iPad mini – we all use it loads. Very useful bit of kit.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

re hard drives…
    I got a networked QNAP driver (TS212 I think). It’s got a USB slot on the front so I can plug a camera/USB stick/Garmin/whatever else into it and then either press a button on the front which copies everything into a predefined ‘USB’ folder, or I can go through the browser based console thing and move files around how I want.

I’ve also moved my ‘my documents’ folder to the QNAP, so I can access all of my stuff through my tablet, phone and my laptop when they’re on the wifi.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

In future all my cameras will be wifi/smart. Images and video straight to cloud is the way to go.

I’m not sure if cloud will ever be cheap enough for video, the rate at which cloud capacity is expanding / price falling seems to be lagging the rate at which you can generate Gb from video.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

footflaps wrote:

In future all my cameras will be wifi/smart. Images and video straight to cloud is the way to go.
    I’m not sure if cloud will ever be cheap enough for video, the rate at which cloud capacity is expanding / price falling seems to be lagging the rate at which you can generate Gb from video.

send it up and drag it down, come christmas I should have my 100mb connection then I will be testing the cloud and trying video editing from up there too. Space will get cheaper, once you are done with the original files then dump them to archive at home or bin them. Keep the cloud stuff live.

I dont keep raw footage long anyway. Dump the good bits into a rough edit for later, bin the originals. Tablet is perfect for that… Otherwise you just end up with hundreds of hours of footage you can never be bothered to go through.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

chris wrote:

I dont keep raw footage long anyway. Dump the good bits into a rough edit for later, bin the originals. Tablet is perfect for that… Otherwise you just end up with hundreds of hours of footage you can never be bothered to go through.

I can’t imagine doing proper rendering on any tablet is going to be quick (not at HD levels anyway) I only use the laptop for edits and any heavy lifting still goes back to the desktop. Unless people like Adobe start renting out server/cluster space for rendering then the desktop is still king.

Youre probably right mike… as I said previously, only thing my lappy gets used for these days is go pro footage.

Was given one by the mother in law when she upgraded hers but it barely gets used. Sometimes for a recipe when cooking. I still can’t get out of the habit of going straight to my laptop.

I find the iPad ok for searching one specific thing but for general browsing, using more than one tab or doing anything intense then it’s the laptop all the way.

Samsung note, tabbed browser and multi tasking all the way .

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Subscriber

You’ll be glad of it when the DH World Champs are on and you don’t want to fire up the laptop.

DrJ

Great for travel – books, magazines, games, music, films.

mindmap3

I thought they were pointless until I bought one – its pretty much replaced my lap top for general internet use, buying and selling on eBay, banking etc.

I like the fact that I can take it round the house easily and that it’s alwasy ready to use. It was great when I was commuting loads by train being able to download TV and magazines.

parkesie

My ipad is for singletrack

DrJ

I like the fact that I can take it round the house to the bog easily

FTFY

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘IPad, tablets etc what are they actually for?’ is closed to new replies.