Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • iPad question. Air (2020) today or hang on for potential new mini in a month?
  • Premier Icon midlifecrashes

The title says most of it. I can get a new Air today for £350, which seems a heck of a bargain, but I think I’d prefer smaller (I use a Kindle Fire HD8, but it’s getting on and starting to lag a lot). If the new Mini comes out at £500+ I wouldn’t bother, just not worth it to me. Decisions, decisions, and whether to believe internet rumours on Apple stuff. Opinions? It would be my first Apple product to own apart from a Laserwriter2 a loooooong time ago.

Premier Icon northernremedy

For that price, the Air!

Premier Icon the-muffin-man

Where can you get a new Air for £350! Please tell!

Personally I wouldn’t go smaller as phones have encroached this territory now.

Premier Icon chomp
    Free Member

Current mini is not exactly slow, so not sure (from what you’re saying) the new one will give you over the current gen.

If the form factor suits, then maybe waiting for the new mini to be released and grab a current one for a bit of a discount would be the way forward.

Premier Icon midlifecrashes

Where can you get a new Air for £350! Please tell!

Currys are doing the Air at £499, but offering £150 off for any working ipad, we have an obsolete but working ipad mini A1432 which isn’t supported by current apps sitting in a drawer, so trading it in.

I guess at this price, if I don’t get on with it and a new Mini appeals, I can flog the Air easily enough.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

My wife has the Mini v1 and has been waiting for the v6 for 12-18 months now as the rumours keep saying it’s coming out soon.

@midlifecrashes
    –  I think the old iPad mini is worth £9 if you go through the valuation steps

Premier Icon Drac

What will the newer offer over the Air to justify the cost?

ipad mini A1432

I doubt they accept that as a trade in for £150. Have you checked the small print?

Yep, this mini v1 from the drawer belonged to mrsmidlife, but got sidelined the day Skype wouldn’t work on it, and she moved to a regular sized ipad. I guess with a case with a keyboard and trackpad I can use the Air for 90%+ of where I use my laptop today. I may have to get more cloudy or set up a hard drive or two accessible from the wifi.

Have you checked the small print?

No, but it’s clear as day in the big print

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/help-and-services/ways-to-pay/trade-in-5-commercial.html?tab=2

Edit: they assign a monetary value of £9 to it, but underneath where it says:

“Or buy a new tablet and get” you get £150 off an ipad Air, ipad Pro, a macbook or a > £900 PC

Premier Icon andrewreay

Just get that Air deal. You’ll easily get more for it on eBay later if it turns out not be work for you.

The new Mini has been on it’s way for ages. My guess is that the next launch (Sept) will deliver the Air with an Apple M1 chip, so these current Airs won’t be the latest gen, hence the discount.

But for £350 you’ll be win win.

Premier Icon Drac

I’d be along there now if they’re giving you £150 for a trade in. No brainier.

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

Hmmm, wondering if I need to upgrade my garage iPad to an Air for that much… Great deal.

Premier Icon TiRed

I have an iPhone 8 Plus and a Mini. After the phone the Mini really never got a look in. Too small for the non-phone optimised websites that automatically switch for the phone.

Get the iPad Air. It’s a great form factor – Mrs TiRed has used one for years.

As it happens, I am debating whether to purchase a MacBook Air M1 for her, or a new iPad Pro M1. I like the iPad form factor, but my how you pay for it! Obviously you can see that Apple is going laptop replacement via iOS but they are price gouging for cameras I don’t need.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

re: form factor – the Mini is ideal for holding in one hand reading a book/mag/webpage, especially if you have small hands

Premier Icon BigEaredBiker

I have two ipad mini 1’s sat idle in a drawer. Tempting, I might check they still work…

Premier Icon bassmandan
    Free Member

Super glad I spotted this thread. Have been thinking about a new ipad recently. Just took my 9 year old ipad 3 16GB to currys for the full £150 off a 2020 air 64GB.

@midlifecrashes
    you’re my hero (at least for today)

You got one quicker than me then. I pick mine up this evening, they didn’t have the one I wanted in stock.

You have to take your old iPad to the store to get the trade-in, they check it boots and accepts charge, which they give you a gift card code for. If they have what you’re after, they can apply that code at the till and take it away, or you can do your order there for collection at the shop or delivery to your home. Alternatively you can just take the voucher away and use it online. The T&Cs say the trade-in needs to happen before 28/9/21 but that the gift card is then valid 24 months, valid against ipad air or pro.

Premier Icon Drac

That’s a cracking offer. I may dig one out ready for my upgrade later this year, must have one somewhere.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

@bassmandan – did you do a factory reset before handing it over?

I’m not an Apple user – how difficult is it to “port” all the current apps to the new iPad etc?

Premier Icon stevenk4563
    Free Member

So would you be able to trade in an old iPad now, get the voucher, then wait for the next iPad Air to be released, and use the voucher against that?

Either way it’s a cracking deal, and I’ll be trading in an old 16Gb iPad 2 😁

Premier Icon bridges
    Free Member

There’s always something newer and better, just round the corner…

If you can get a 2020 iPad Air for £350*, then go for it. The current price is £579. The only thing that will make a significant difference will be the new M1 chips, as in the new iPad Pros and Macs. But I can’t see Apple releasing a new M1 iPad/Air for a while yet, as they’ll want to ensure sales of the more expensive models continue. As for a Mini; a standard (9-10″) tablet is about as small as I want, really, anything smaller is less enjoyable for stuff like watching films whilst travelling, etc. The current iPad Air will be compatible with other Apple stuff for at least a while yet.

*Where are you finding it available for £350??

EDIT: Just seen. Cracking deal.

Premier Icon bassmandan
    Free Member

@ElShalimo yep did the reset at home and left it at the welcome screen you get afterwards. Store just visually checked it over and then made sure it turned on and that was it.

Porting apps from an older iPad to the new is just a case of taking a backup before wiping the old one and then restoring. I didn’t do that because my old one is so out of date. Could have restored a backup from my phone though.

Premier Icon sillysilly

Take the Air, latest version is awesome.

Mini will likely be £399+ on launch with sub par specs outside of screen and form factor Vs Air. Prob not that much difference in weight either despite the smaller dimensions. Have the current Mini and am surprise by weight and how slow it is in comparison to the Air.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

@bassmandan – thanks….also I read your user name as BadAssMan!

🤦

Premier Icon somafunk

Cheers for the heads up on curry’s £150 discount, got 2 64gb airs tday for early Xmas presents

Premier Icon longmover

The 10.9″ screen of the Air is pretty much the perfect size for an ipad, as has been said the mini overlaps the phone by a long way. Add a keyboard and mouse and you are not far off from having a laptop once you get used to the UI and filing system, I use my 11″ pro for work all the time and the air really is not far behind a 2020 pro except for the camera, face id and better quality screen (which you will not notice unless you have them side by side).

For that price I assume it is the 64gb version, will that be enough storage for you as you cannot upgrade it later on? If the storage is suitable get the air.

Premier Icon b33k34

Another thanks for the PSA on this – my 7 year old iPad Air2 with short battery life and a slightly dodgy button accepted as a trade in.

it’s an even better deal given Apple still have the Air priced at £579 and it’s unlikely to be much changed, if at all, this year (https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad-Air)

Premier Icon Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Any one tried to trade in one with damage? My mini has a cracked screen but still functions perfectly, wondering if they’ll accept that for upgrade?

Premier Icon Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Question answered. £56 offered due to crack rather than £150.

Premier Icon Watty

Thanks for the PSA OP, I’ve just been and chopped-in my old Air. The whole Currys ‘experience’ wasn’t too bad either! 🙄

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

Cheers for PSA OP, just chopped in a very old iPad 2 (normal trade in £9) for the full £150.

Happy days!

Premier Icon chowsh
    Free Member

I went to trade in my old iPad today and they refused it as I didn’t have the charge cable with it. Pointed out that T&C’s said nothing about requiring cables but same response. Then tried to sell me a cable but they didn’t have any as it the old style one. That was a wasted journey as I now have to go back tomorrow with the cable.

Premier Icon mikertroid
    Free Member

My ancient ipad mini paperweight got me £150 off an Air 256Gb today. And a £50 discount on top!!
    Thanks for the heads up!

P.s. no cable needed…

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

Ditto on the no cable thing for me sounds like you got somebody with the wrong end of the stick chowsh.

Premier Icon Stainypants

The Current iPad Air is almost the same as the previous gen iPad Pro 11. I’ve been using the pro to edit 4K go pro footage which it processes and saves almost in real time. There are fine pretty fancy pc set ups that can’t do that. Fit £350 I’d grab one before that offer ends.

I offered them cable, charger plug and two cases on my trade in, they wouldn’t take any of them, just the tablet. Seemed a bit off binning the cases, but no value in them.

Sent from my Psion 3a

Premier Icon somafunk

No cable needed when I traded in an iPad mini and iPad 2 either

Premier Icon Watty

Ditto, no cable needed.

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I recently traded in a very decrepit laptop I bought used for £50 a few years back against an M1 Macbook Air at Currys – am very impressed. They had £100 off the latop too, so worked out at £750

Premier Icon Jerm

I have recently got an Air. It’s fantastic. As others have said, the screen size seems spot on. There is no extra space wasted to accommodate a home button. Another advantage is that it has a USB C port for data and charging. The new charger is so much faster and you can transfer photos using any cheap USB C card reader at way faster speeds than with the old Lightning port which is only USB 2.

I did struggle to find a good protective case without a slot for the pencil (which I don’t have). In the end found a great Targus one at Argos for £30 which protects all the way round.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.