• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TomB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • iPad protection
  • Potdog
    Free Member

May be a daft question but is there anything out there that really gives a high standard of protection for iPads? My sisters lad is autistic and pretty much lives on his iPad, but he’s also super clumsy. I took it for a new screen for her on Saturday, on Wednesday he dropped a fidget spinner on it and smashed the new screen again!

She’s obviously at her wits end at £70 each time he does a screen.

So other than saying no more iPads, any ideas what we can do? I did look at an Otter Box but couldn’t see a model for the basic iPad.

z1ppy

The schools I support use the Griffin Survivor case IIRC, will confirm tomorrow

lots of options to peruse

CountZero

It might be worth looking at putting a toughened glass screen protector on it, they’re substantially thicker than the plastic ones, which ought to make it more robust, then just put a clear flexible bumper-type case on to protect the case edges in the event of drops.
    That’s what I’ve got on my 10.5″ iPad Pro, which I’d suggest is significantly more expensive and I’m happy with using those items.
    I had an Otterbox on my iP6+, the screen protector was shite, it was thin, bowed up in the middle so required extra pressure just to do basic operations, so I ripped it out and put a glass screen protector on instead, and the phone now has a similar clear silicon wrap-around case to the pad, I just got so fed up with the bulk of the Otterbox.
    I really can’t think of anything that’s going to add more protection than the glass protector I use, it’s around 0.5mm thick, much thicker than the flimsy plastic ones, which only really guard against fingerprints and scratches.
    This is the protector I’ve got on my pad:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector-Guard-For-iPad-Pro-10-5-10-5-Inch-2017/142413567726?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    There are even cheaper ones, around £2-3.00.
    Even better deal here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clear-TPU-Gel-Case-Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector-For-Apple-iPad-Pro-9-7-/201896157963?var=501904440696&hash=item2f01f2e30b:m:m2CGicpCWrnPI4uFKzPGsYA
    Glass screen protector and clear gel case for £2.47!
    And free postage, to boot.
    I don’t think there’s much more you can do, really, but if the screen protector saves the screen at the cost of the protector, then it’s a win all round.

riklegge

I’ve seen people use Sugru (I think it’s called) around the edges to protect them, seems to work very well against drops and bangs although I guess you would also want an additional screen protector or tougher glass as suggested above.

Flaperon

The Techgear rubber protectors seem to work well for us. Certainly my new iPad Pro survived without a scratch when it plummetted from the window today.

Potdog
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

CountZero

Added Sugru around corners isn’t a bad idea, it gives that extra bit of ‘bounce’ on a place where it’s a tiny impact point likely to cause more damage.

Spud

Otterbox for our kids’ iPads. Dropped etc and still going strong.

woody74

For really tough protection you have Griffin Survivor or Otter Box. If it is the screen breaking then it might be worth having a look at an Amazon Fire Kids. They have a breakage guarntee. No questions asked replacement.
    Amazon Fire Kids

Potdog
    Free Member

The Fire Kids would be a great solution. Unfortunately my sister is firmly in the apple camp. Plus, my nephew is 15 years old, 6’2″ and 15 stone. Although he has some learning difficulties he still gets the same peer pressure as any other 15 yo kid. I’ve seen less clumsy gorillas than him. Hoping a tempered glass screen protector and something like an otterbox in combination might just give her a chance.

stevextc
    Free Member

We have a Griffin Survivor…. worked brilliantly then it got taken off for a day … and Jnr managed to break the iPad in one day…

Replaced iPad 2 yrs ago and straight in the 4? yr old Griffin….

The screen protector is getting a bit hacked after 4 yrs but its put up with a lot of abuse..

TomB

Bookmarking for later, new ipad arrived today…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘iPad protection’ is closed to new replies.