iPad Pro 11” or new standard iPad?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • iPad Pro 11” or new standard iPad?
  • Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

I want it as a replacement for most of what my MacBook does. The new standard iPad looks good, but I’m drawn to the nicer form of the pro.
    Planning to do a bit of sketching on it too if that makes a difference – Apple Pencil second gen support?

I’ve got a pro 11” that replaced a 9.7 pro and it’s lovely.
    I really like the additional screen and form factor. Super quick, very nice. Losing the home button took a bit of adjustment.
    Pencil is useful even for a non arty type (I fail at stick men)

I’d hook this up to a monitor and happily use it for work if I needed to.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

The Pro looks very nice, and Face ID is a thing of wonder.

I’d not go for the base iPad though – Air 3 is much more powerful.

sillysilly

Wait 2 weeks – there is an iPad Pro announcement due end Oct according to Macrumours…

easily

I find with Apple stuff it’s always worth accepting the pain and buying the latest model.

I agree about waiting if you can. The 11 inch iPad is about a year old, I’d expect a new model sometime soon.

andykirk

I have the Pro. It’s just brilliant. The sound is also an amazing upgrade over the older iPads. The pencil works really well. I also use it as a second display for my MacBook. The iPad not the pencil.

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

Is the iPad Air any good?

My four or five year old iPad is well past it’s best now and is painfully slow so I’m after a replacement. The mini looks a reasonable size for what I want but the Air looks pretty good as well.

rs

I always wonder how well face ID works if you’re taking notes on a desk, and have to wake it up, does it recognise from an angle, or do you have to make a forward motion to position your face over it?

^^rs

FaceID is alright, but it’s a complete pain in the arse for note taking, as above.

FaceID and a fingerprint sensor would be perfect, I’m forever tapping in my pin in meetings when the iPad is flat down on the desk as the camera most likely won’t see you. Having the iPad in portrait with the camera at the bottom helps a bit.

rs

Thanks for clarifying, I’ll be sticking with my original pro for a while then, which to be fair still works great.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

I have a Pro but the current Air is so good it’s pretty hard for most use cases to justify spending the pretty large premium the Pro has. Also if I know I’ll be spending a lot of intermittent time on it I’ll just temporarily disable the screen lock…

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I have a Pro but the current Air is so good it’s pretty hard for most use cases to justify spending the pretty large premium the Pro has.

This was the conclusion I came to after researching the reviews for Mrs K’s birthday.   I bought an Air in the US for the MIL to wrap and gift to her.  The only point of note is that the screen on the Air is not diy replaceable so get Apple Care so the device isn’t written off if the screen is cracked.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Thanks all – plenty to think about. I do prefer the look of the Pro to any of the others, but I’m not sure I prefer it that much over the Air 3.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Managed to get an excellent price on a new 11″ Pro and bitten the bullet on the folio keyboard case and pencil 2 too. Just need to learn to draw now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.