Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • iPad prices – WOW!
  • xiphon
    Free Member

The open source programming tools you can get for the MAC OS are FAR superior to anything available on Windows OS

And they’re even more superior on Linux/*BSD…. which runs on both your ‘PC’ and Macbook.

Still not convinced that Mac’s are ‘better’ than PCs, since they share much of the same hardware design.

Oh, and you can run OSX on Windows, thanks to VMware (though it’s not legal..)

goon
    Free Member

will the thing work with a wireless printer

Depends. I have an HP wireless printer. They produce an app (I hate that term!) to print direct from (and scan to) the iPad.

Dougal
    Free Member

Hey, at least when Android tablets come out, they’ll be cheaper. Right, right?

Will they ****: – Samsung Galaxy Tab – £599 for 16GB.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/16439335/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Android-2-2-Froyo-7-Touch-Screen-Tablet-P1000-ARM-Cortex-A8-1GHz/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccc:%7Cprd:16439335%7Ccat:Computers

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Bloody hell – why do people feel they have to come on here and whine about the pricing of non-essential kit.

My iPad is probably about as justifiable price-wise as any of the expensive bikes I have: 5-Spot, Handjob, S-Works Roubaix. In each case, I could have bought something that would ‘do the job’ for anything up to 10% of the price. I didn’t – instead I spent my hard earned wages/healthy inheritance on luxury bikes because I wanted to.

I have a MacBook Pro as a replacement for a Powerbook, which in turn replaced the last of a succession of Dells and Thinkpads, largely because OSX offered, at the time, a far superior user experience to Windows ME and early XP. If someone buys a modern laptop running Win 7 for half the price and tells me the user experience is great, that’s brilliant. I have an iPad because I wanted one to play with and explore the possibilities for using this sort of kit. I don’t need it, and I could certainly run my business without it, but I’ve chosen to buy it because I’m interested in the possibilities arising from this piece of tech. If you don’t want one, or decide it doesn’t fit your perception of value for money, why do you need to try and rationalise your decision by inferring that anyone who has a different perception is somehow intellectually inferior.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I’m not an apple fan. And I’ve never and don’t own an apple product.

However, I’ll say this… My mate got an iphone when they first arrived on the scene and I have to say I was instantly really impressed by it. His mate was given an ipad when they arrived on the scene (something to do with his work) and I was also really impressed with that.

Now I still don’t own any apple product but the only reason for this is that I have 3 kids, a wife, mortgage etc etc etc so I can’t afford one – well, I can’t justify spending that much on one… But if the opertunity arose to get one (work phone maybe?) then I would be very happy.

glenh
    Free Member

Hey, at least when Android tablets come out, they’ll be cheaper. Right, right?

Will they ****: – Samsung Galaxy Tab – £599 for 16GB.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/16439335/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Android-2-2-Froyo-7-Touch-Screen-Tablet-P1000-ARM-Cortex-A8-1GHz/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccc:%7Cprd:16439335%7Ccat:Computers

As far as I am aware, samsung haven’t released any prices and that’s just a guess from play.com.
    I suspect they will actually be a fair bit cheaper, otherwise they won’t be selling many!

epicyclo

ditch_jockey +1

Do the people whining about iPads ride around on Halford’s bargains bikes?

Why not? They’ll get you there. You’ll have to fix it on the way, but it’ll get you there. It won’t be worth anything in a couple of years, but it’ll still get you there.

So why buy those expensive bikes? Possibly because you have enough riding experience to see the advantage in something that works well and is reliable and holds its value.

Same with Apple products.

_tom_
    Free Member

I personally think that apple products such as Macbooks are priced about right for the hardware

😆

Must be trolling!

_tom_
    Free Member

edit, double post.

Dougal
    Free Member

As far as I am aware, samsung haven’t released any prices and that’s just a guess from play.com.
    I suspect they will actually be a fair bit cheaper, otherwise they won’t be selling many!

In the Claim Chowder folder.

CountZero

But it’s so lo res!
    I would be tempted by a ‘retina display’ ipad though…next year I reckon

Lo res? Really? Compared to what, exactly. There is no chance of a Retina screen on the iPad until processors get a lot faster for this class of device, and nobody even manufactures such a thing. Chances are you’d never notice the difference anyway. There’s been lots of chatter about it on various forums, and the consensus is not for some time, and who cares when the iPad works as well as it does.
    Going back to points in the OP, you can get a dock card reader that allows you to copy to and from an SD card, I believe SDXC spec, so you can go up to 64Gb. If you don’t mind spending over £600 for the card. And you’re bitching about the cost of an iPad?
    Also 7Dayshop sell neat little batteries for charging iPhones and Pads via the dock for around £7. Who needs all the hastle of buying expensive proprietory batteries when £14 buys you two little external batteries that you can charge from your USB and stick in your pocket just in case. Getting a couple for the phone, although I’ve not needed one since getting the 4G, the 3G would go a day under normal use, but listening to the radio hammered it a bit.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

iphone 4 -326ppi
    Sony Vaio P series – 221ppi
    Amazon Kindle 1 & 2 – 167ppi
    OLPC XO-1 – 217ppi
    ipad – 132ppi

There’s a comparison 🙂

Chances are you’d never notice the difference anyway.

Lol, I’ll come back in a few years shall I, when you are chucking out your 1st gen ipad….

I accept there’s not many similar products with much higher screens, but I would expect more from Apple. Why make a thing that can play 1280*720HD…but only give it a 1024×768 screen??

forge197
    Free Member

Great thread many don’t get the iPad it’s not until you get one and use it then realise what can be done with it, but coupled with a nice ui, fast boot time makes a nice device. I did originally think web mail and a couple of apps but it’s become so much more.

It is not a laptop replacement but I have since sold my net book it’s replaced that and makes more sense as web mail tool but it also does so much more.

The iPad looks expensive but for me and with the apps I use it’s giving me back time now you can’t buy time so therefore the investment though high is going mean I have more cycle time at the weekend , my net book for whatever reason never delivered that. Coupled with when I am away on business the iPad can coexist in my bag with a corporate laptop and doesn’t add much weight, the charger is tiny makes it a great travel companion.

iPad isn’t going to suit everyone but it is one of the best bits of tech I have bought in a long time.

molgrips
    Free Member

is going mean I have more cycle time at the weekend

Seriously? How much actual time is it going to save you, and how?

Jamie
    Free Member

edit, double post.

Wouldn’t have happened on an Apple product 😉

richcc
    Free Member

I’m always bemused by these threads. I always wonder if the OP spends his time wandering around Ferrari garages complaining because they’re more expensive than a Mondeo and the Mondeo has a bigger boot. Surely one of the first criteria for whether a product is suitable for you is value for money vs the criteria that are important to you. In this case the OP made the decision that, for him, and his requirement that equation doesn’t stack up.

I had the same dilemma earlier regarding a Sunseeker Predator… But didn’t think it worth coming on here to bitch about the company’s pricing policy.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

So the ipad is undeniably a luxury item then? Great. Maybe if Apple told us that in the adverts, people wouldn’t start threads like these 😐

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

These people must be real dumb to be using iPads: http://www.apple.com/ipad/pompeii/ What idiots they are!! 😉

richcc
    Free Member

So the ipad is undeniably a luxury item then? Great. Maybe if Apple told us that in the adverts, people wouldn’t start threads like these

Apple iPad – reassuringly expensive?

Perhaps the fact that Apple are selling them faster than they can make them demonstrates that if anything they’ve priced them slightly too low…

forge197
    Free Member

Molgrips – as my job involves begin away stuff like personal finances is done at the weekend, and we use ms money, by using pocketmoney mrs forge can enter her spends real time as can I the iPad is the pocketmoney server and we can sync the transactions that will save 1 to 2 hrs of faff and reconciliation as there will be none to do at weekend.

Drop box means we can share documents very easily and if something needs doing it can be scanned and in my drop box in seconds which again would have been a weekend task to sort out.

With the right apps it can simplify and make live more efficient I use Things in the iPad to keep track of projects and tasks so I can see instantly what needs sorting and dealing with, it works better than tasks in outlook and for me is working in organising and structuring time and in turn saving it by combining like tasks and ordering them.

Don’t get me wrong the same could be possible with a netbook, but the size, boot time, app availability make it a great device to have and use, and it really does save us time.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘iPad prices – WOW!’ is closed to new replies.