Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • IPad help – lead for TV
  • Rickos
    Free Member

So, my TV has HDMI and PC in points, but which is best to get for iPad to TV linking so we can watch stuff on the big screen? Last time I looked (admittedly a couple of months ago) it didn’t seem that clear as to what I needed. Also, Apple prices for leads – are they havin’ a laugh!?

Dave.I
    Free Member

Just get one of these

HDMI Adapter

Then plug your HDMI cable in and the USB to charge.

I’ve been using one for a couple of years and they work a treat

sharkbait
    Free Member

^ this or an appleTV or a raspberry pi running raspbmc (because it supports AirPlay.)

peteimpreza

You will need this

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD098ZM/A/apple-digital-av-adapter?fnode=3a

Or its third part equivalent, if they exist, no idea.

And a standard HDMI to HDMI cable.

I have the Apple adaptor and the cheapest HDMI cable I could find, it works really well.

DrP

I’m using a VGA adaptor only because I needed it for projectors too.
    Works well for iplayer and you tube etc…

DrP

Rickos
    Free Member

So both hdmi and the pc/vga plugs will work? For sound too?

Thanks for replies…

JulianA
    Free Member

Apple might be having a laugh with their prices but their leads do work very well.

We’ve got an Apple HDMI connector and an Apple Composite AV lead and they’re both excellent. Composite AV is red, white and yellow and Component AV is red, green and blue – check which one you need for your television.

Also buy a SCART to RCA lead, a long RCA to RCA lead and some connectors (I think it’s just phono stuff), a 10m HDMI lead, some HDMI right-angle connectors and you’re good to go. I’m not joking – all of these will be cheap: £15 or so tops for all of these and you can pretty much connect to any television that you come across!

We take our iPads abroad and if you have either or both leads you should be able to watch your own films / BBC iPlayer downloads and listen to your music no problem. It’s just a case of working out how to make the television in your hotel room receive the signal… Mostly a breeze (pretty much – we’ve succeeded on most of our holidays)

Hope this helps – it works really well for us!

PS – The Apple Camera Connector works really well as well…!

JulianA
    Free Member

Sound certainly works for us with what we have…

IA

HDMI is only on more recent iPads, no? I forget which one it was added with.

^ this or an appleTV or a raspberry pi running raspbmc (because it supports AirPlay.)

Not the same it does’t. I find linux airplay support works fine with music, youtube, non-drm videos already on the device and nothing else.

DrP

No sound on VGA……

DrP

Rickos
    Free Member

Thanks! What confused me previously was that there didn’t seem to be one single lead, it needed adapters and two leads and you’ve all pretty much corroborated that.

Ta! And if VGA don’t have sound then hdmi it is.

Rich
    Free Member

Be sure to check it’s possible to send whatever it is you’re planning to the bigger screen.

When I looked into it, it wasn’t possible with Lovefilm or Sky Go, so I didn’t bother.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘IPad help – lead for TV’ is closed to new replies.