Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • iPad help
  • timbur
    Free Member

Morning all,
    I’m after a bit of basic iPad help.
    We’ve got an iPad 4th gen which has been ace for what we do. It’s used generally to surf the web and occassionally for a bit of Netfixs.
    It’s not supported anymore and a few apps (eBay, Facebook, ITV4) aren’t supported or working properly anymore.
    Without buying the latest tech can someone give me a steer as to what level I need to buy to get a supported secondhand replacement please? The Air/Pro/Mini all leaves me a bit baffled :O/
    Prob 32gb and Wi-Fi only is all we need.
    Thanks
    Tim – techno ludite

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Im an iPad mini fan. Great in the hand for browsing and mailing. A bit too small for a few people to watch anything.

zilog6128

Buying a 2nd hand iOS device is a bit of a false economy IMO because they’ll obsolesce quicker, so personally I think buying new is actually better value unless you get a cracking deal e.g. family member letting it go cheap. That said you should be able to use the services you’ve mentioned as not working via the web browser instead so might be able to eke some more life out of it yet?

andrewreay

To give yourself the best chance of getting longevity of support, you are better off buying a pad that has the latest software – currently i(PAD)OS 13.

iOS 14 is just around the corner though, so it’s possible older pads won’t support the next iteration.

The table for those supporting iOS 13:

iPad Pro 12.9in first, second & third generation.
    iPad Pro 10.5in.
    iPad Pro 9.7in.
    iPad Pro 11in.
    iPad Air 2.
    iPad Air 3.

iPad fifth generation.

iPad sixth generation.
    iPad seventh generation.

iPad Mini 4.

The cheapest way in would be a secondhand 5th gen iPad or iPad Mini 4th gen. Either privately or eBay from refurbishers. Loads to choose from.

phil5556

Apparently this is the list that will get 14. Maybe the same as 13 (all iPhones that have 13 are getting 14 so I guess it makes sense that it will be the same for iPads too).

iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 2020)
    iPad Pro (11-inch, 2020)
    iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 2019)
    iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 2019)
    iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 2018)
    iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 2017)
    iPad Pro (10.5-inch, 2017)
    iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
    iPad (7th generation)
    iPad (6th generation)
    iPad (5th generation)
    iPad mini (5th generation)
    iPad mini 4
    iPad Air (3rd generation)
    iPad Air 2

timbur
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    That helps me loads.
    I was getting properly confused with generations and models.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

Having had a quick look at the prices for second hand 5th gen iPads on one of the bigger second hand retailers, you are looking at only a saving of around £70 pounds from buying a new current gen 32gb WiFi iPad.

Obviously eBay / private sales will have more of a saving but no warranty.

Personally if you can afford it, I would pay the extra and buy the current base model.

timbur
    Free Member

Sage advice. Best go talk to the treasurer and get consent.
    Saying that it might be easier to ask forgiveness……….

timmys

If savings are minimal second hand, I’d head straight to the Apple Refurb Store.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/ipad

You can use this site to alert you when a specific model is available;

https://refurb-tracker.com

ratherbeintobago

What @timmys said.

dove1

I’ll third what timmys said.
    Refurb Apple devices are as good as new and come with full warranty.

Another option is to use a discount scheme through your employer if you have one. I bought an iPad for my MiL today and saved 8% by using Currys e-vouchers.

scuttler

I have two refurbed iPads from Apple. Would deffo buy another one when the time comes.

CountZero

That said you should be able to use the services you’ve mentioned as not working via the web browser instead so might be able to eke some more life out of it yet?

In the meantime, and even afterwards, it’s better for a number of reasons to only use Fb as a web-app, rather than their actual app, and fleabay works just as well via the Web as it does the app; dunno about ITV4, there’s got to be ways around that, it’s a bit niche, how often do you actually use it?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘iPad help’ is closed to new replies.