Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • iPad has '80% of North American tablet market'
  • GrahamS

Yep, Amazon Fire coverage Live here: http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/28/live-from-amazons-kindle-fire-event/ if you’re interested.

glenh
    Free Member

It’s just an basic android tablet.

The appeal will be the well known name, the price and the Amazon book+mp3 content I imagine.

Oh, and the massive amount of advertising that means non geeks will have actually heard of it, unlike every other non ipad tablet out there).

GrahamS

Yep. I expect a fairly low price and heavy Amazon integration (Kindle, Amazon MP3s, movies) + maybe some partnerships for other media (NetFlix?)

AlexSimon

It’s just an basic android tablet.

The appeal will be the well known name, the price and the Amazon book+mp3 content I imagine.

But that’s what a lot of people want.
    i.e. A 10″ Android marketplace-ready tablet with a nice multitouch screen and good battery life for around £200.

clubber
    Free Member

i.e. A 10″ Android marketplace-ready tablet with a nice multitouch screen and good battery life for around £200.

That’s me!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀 😕

uplink
    Free Member

I read earlier it was likely to be a 7″ unit initially

clubber
    Free Member

Mind you, that’s the difference between Apple and others. Apple would hold the conference in some futuristic vision of glass and steel with geeky people wearing rimless glasses and polonecks presenting.

Amazon, it appears, do it in a flimsy tent 🙂

AlexSimon

yep – I read that too. I’m following the event here:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393686,00.asp#fbid=bc_aZ8LtOTd

jackthedog
    Free Member

That pic posted by deadly darcy is proper LOL worthy.

AlexSimon

It’s sounding more and more like “kindle 2” to me

clubber
    Free Member

I know – that bloke’s fingers are proper FAT! 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh FFS, they’re talking about their ecosystem now.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Unfortunately to admit you think this gets you instantly dismissed as a pathetic sucker for marketing. No facts come into it, you’re just a fanboi.

+1. Very true.

I’d never used an Apple product until I borrowed an iPhone a couple of times, and TBH it blew me away. Here was something soooooo simple to use with one finger that it made every other piece of electronics I’d ever used seem dumb and clunky. So I bought one. Yes, it’s expensive, yes, it’s a luxury. But it just works. I don’t need to be a geek to use it. I doesn’t even need an instruction book to learn how to use it!

But I still have to keep hooking it up to a PC to synch it. And every time I do that I’m at the mercy of Microsofts failings and glitches. I don’t know how to fix these, I don’t WANT TO KNOW how to fix them. Why should I?? If I bough a car and the engine kept cutting out, or it got slower and slower the more I used it, I’d take it back for a refund.
    I just want something that works as it should.
    That’s why I’ve spent 7 months saving for an iMac, and very soon I’ll be buying one. I don’t care about the marketing or the image, (but I do appreciate nicely designed things) or what anyone else thinks. I can’t see the point of wasting money on PCs time after time after time any more.

🙂

GrahamS

But I still have to keep hooking it up to a PC to synch it.

Not for long. iOS 5 out soon and has iCloud and WiFi Syncing.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#pcfree

AlexSimon

I’ve stopped following the amazon thing now.
    It’s looking like it’s still a book reader.

glenh
    Free Member

Hate to break this to you PP, but iTunes sync is just as terrible on Mac OSX and it is on windows 😆

But as Graham says, iOS 5 does away with a lot of sync related issues (although you still need to use it to transfer photos etc, which is a massive pita).

uplink
    Free Member

“Kindle Touch”

Sounds like a disturbing German website :), what is it with these companies?
    Apple names theirs after a feminine hygiene product

frogstomp

Apple were the first to get the right combination of software/hardware/price(ish) to market, much as they did with the iPhone. The groundswell of customer loyalty plays a massive part as well (witness people’s ‘need’ to upgrade to the next new iPhone) but the product still has to be right..

I’ve got a ‘cheap’ HP Touchpad – the way those things flew off the shelves proves how big the potential market is if the price is right. The manufacturers just have to work out how to build a decent tablet down to the price (without being loss-making like the HP).

I only bought it to have a tinker and maybe do some Android development on it when the port is available.. I was quite sceptical about how useful it would be but now I’ve got it I am finding that 90% of the time I’ll use it over my laptop at home – it’s great for coffee table browsing, chatting, email and iPlayer etc.

clubber
    Free Member

PP – you’re right about the fanboi accusations but you then rather spoil it by basically doing the same

And every time I do that I’m at the mercy of Microsofts failings and glitches

W7 is plenty reliable and works consistently well. Issues with iTunes (I had them too…) are just that.

uplink
    Free Member

Free worldwide 3g

That’s a good benefit

clubber
    Free Member

So what’s the Fire going to be?

clubber
    Free Member

and what will the currency conversion be? I’m assuming 1:1

GrahamS

GOOD prices!

clubber
    Free Member

7″ then.. Hmmm… that might do the job – guess it’ll be down to price…

clubber
    Free Member

GrahamS

Be interested to see how clear the text is. One thing that has put me off Kindle in the past is that the text seemed quite blocky (especially compared to the ultra-smooth Retina displays).

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s noticeable but TBH having borrowed a kindle for a day, you forget about it in a couple of minutes – same as if you switch from Retina to 3G/S

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not for long. iOS 5 out soon and has iCloud and WiFi Syncing.

Yes. But I need to synch to my latop to get OS5 in the first place don’t I!??! 😉

Why, oh why, has my phone been synching to my latop for nearly a year faultlessly, then all of a sudden it just stops and locks up every time? Why?
    PC. That’s why.
    Bye Bye PC. Good riddance.

clubber
    Free Member

Absolutely must be the PC, must it PP?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

W7 is plenty reliable and works consistently well

Heard all that guff before.

Win95
    WinXP
    WinVista

Same old crap.

Bye bye Windoze.

The money is in my account now. I’m just waiting for a new card to come through so I can spend it. Hopefully this weekend. I’ve waited long enough. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Does it have…

…only joking :mrgreen:

5lab

i think a kindle display is way nicer to read on than a tablet, its lower resolution, but the e-ink is way nicer to my eyes. I run on the smallest font size and the only thing i find lacking is browsing lonely planet guidebooks as they’re pdf rather than kindle-format

clubber
    Free Member

That’s just silly PP – and as I said is just as stupid as the fanboi accusations. 95, XP (to a much lesser extent), Vista were poor. Turns out W7 isn’t.

clubber
    Free Member

DD – I believe it will! 🙂

5lab

i think flash renderings going to be in the cloud, rather than on-device. Should make browsing nice and nippy (opera is much quicker on my blackberry than the default browser)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Absolutely must be the PC, must it PP?

Don’t know. I’m no computer tech. Don’t care. You can buy the laptop off me if you like, if it’s so good, seriously. £1000 worth of 2.5 year old Dell, top of the range at the time. Now it crashes and freezes and I want shot of it. £150 and it’s yours.

clubber
    Free Member

Is it W7? ( I should add that since my 2 W7 computers are faultless I don’t need another one 🙂 )

clubber
    Free Member

Browser detects most likely pages you’ll need in future, requests them in advance.

That’d make interesting reading 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s just silly PP

No it’s not.

Anybody want my laptop?

Is it W7

Nope. Vista. Utter shit like XP and ME and 95 before it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘iPad has '80% of North American tablet market'’ is closed to new replies.