Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • iPad + cellular enlighten me!?
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

Was hoping this would be the ideal solution for my mum. To combine an iPad with the connectivity of a mobile phone. She’s used to using an iPad, but doesn’t like using her mobile, etc. But having asked for advice in PC World this afternoon, it appears that cellular is for mobile data only. Am I missing something, can she not use an app to “call” someone or another mobile, or would this be FaceTime only? In other words, save her money and get an iPad Wi-fi only model? Anyone already cracked this conundrum?

Kuco

You can FaceTime on an iPad fine.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Yes, what about connectivity to other mobiles? Any apps that would deal with this via cellular? Otherwise the cellular option seems pretty pointless. Just need someone to confirm my logic!😊

CountZero

FaceTime or call through WhatsApp, IIRC. Any app that allows calls via a cellular network and wifi. I’m in Salisbury at my g/f’s mum’s, and she had a call on her iPad yesterday from her other daughter in New York, who was using her iPad.
    I’m not certain which app they were using.

Kuco

You can as I had to unpair my iPad from my iPhone. But why? damn sight easier to use a mobile phone.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209456

badgerbater
    Free Member

She’s in her 80s and carries a huge brick of an iPad on her hols taking pictures, etc. I was hoping to ween her onto a new iPad mini 5 and wondered if there was any benefit in going for cellular? But it appears not.

Kuco

How about an iPhone XR?

CountZero

Yes, you can use a mobile phone, but using VoIP, with FaceTime, Skype, Messages, Talkatone or Google Voice means the calls are free, which is a big deal if you’re calling internationally, or even just the U.K., and not everyone wants a smartphone as well as a tablet.
    If she can be persuaded to go for a larger mobile, like an iPhone 8 or something, fine, but she may well be happier with an iPad Mini with VoIP calling.

Cletus

Cellular on iPad is data only – not for voice calls in the same way as a mobile. It is possible to use various apps such as Facetime but they need a compatible destination – i.e. an Apple device.

If you subscribed to a SIP service with an iPad client app then you could make calls anywhere and anyone could call you via a conventional phone number.

TBH for a non-techy user I think a WiFi iPad and non smart mobile would be the best solution.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Ok, I followed the apple support link above to get a better understanding and now I’m more confused; easily done at Christmas! CZ, is she going to benefit from having the additional cellular feature (eg VoIP) or can these calls all be made with a conventional Wi-fi connection?

badgerbater
    Free Member

Apologies #Cletus, I think you’ve answered my query!

chestrockwell

Isn’t the cellular thing just for when you don’t have wi-fi? As has been said, if she goes that way she can make calls via WhatsApp. Otherwise a plus iPhone would seem the way to go?

badgerbater
    Free Member

That Apple link is still confusing the hell out of me! Surely, if an iPad has a sim embedded in it, it should act in the same way as pairing it with a mobile phone, regarding making and receiving calls? You can tell I’m not in the comms industry!!

chestrockwell

I imagine you will need the software to make a call which isn’t available?

andrewreay

It’s not straight forward.

A cellular iPad doesn’t have a (native) phone app, so you can’t just dial a number like you would with an iPhone.

Nor can it (natively) receive inbound calls (the phone number attached to the SIM card is buried away).

There are some 3rd party apps that emulate a phone (I think) but they are VoIP, so not ‘real‘ phone calls. Texting (SMS) also a PITA and requires a 3rd party app which still doesn’t use the cellular modem directly.

You’d have to say that Apple have deliberately stymied the use of an iPad as a mobile phone. I’m not sure why.

Anyway, the other apps mentioned above work OK on an iPad: Skype, Google Duo, Hangouts and FaceTime etc. BUT NOT WhatsApp (and WhatsApp video calling).

Maybe better off with a phone or the Galaxy Note. That does do it all. But it’s pricey (although Boxing Day sales give it £150 off) and you can buy on a monthly contract:

Samsung Galaxy Note 10

Example contract – Skymobile (not much data)

phil5556

Note that WhatsApp doesn’t actually work on an iPad so don’t expect to be able to make WhatsApp video/voice calls on it.

Edit: oops, just read the above and it’s already been said.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

The only advantage of a cellular iPad (with sim contract in it) is you can use it anywhere with a mobile network so having a local WiFi network isn’t a necessity,
    Ie out and about it’ll work.

As other state you can use it for VOIP etc, but can’t use it to ring a landline or regular phone number unless you use an app

krixmeister

Cletus and Andrewreay (and others) pretty much nailed it. One thing I would add – which may be where some of the confusion is coming from…

The Apple ecosystems does have the ability to make calls (via your iPhone) from a Mac or iPad using “Continuity”, but the iPhone has to be on the same WiFi network as the Mac or iPad.

So – in OP’s situation – that wouldn’t work. As per above – recommend a large iPhone (XS Max) with the text sized increased, and possibly some of the other disability features switched on. Siri is pretty great for folks with limited sight / hand/eye control.

chestrockwell

Didn’t realise you couldn’t get WhatsApp on iPad. There you go…

Sandwich

Didn’t realise you couldn’t get WhatsApp on iPad. There you go…

Requires a phone to authorise it though. Scan the QR code on iPad with the phone and away you go. It also will require regular refreshes to maintain the Whatsapp link.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘iPad + cellular enlighten me!?’ is closed to new replies.