Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • iPad 3 – any good?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve been offered an iPad 3 for (I think) pretty cheap – £120. Is it still a decent tablet? All I’ll really be using it for is surfing, watching movies and reading magazines and that, so not really a power user.

I like the idea of a bigger screen over something like a Nexus, as I have a fair hefty phone and 7″ doesn’t seem like that much of a step up!

Jamie
    Free Member

iPad sales were down this quarter. Common wisdom seems to attribute this to older iPads being just fine for most people/activities, so they don’t see the point in upgrading.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cool, kind what I thought. Not fussed about playing the super fancy newest games, so it sounds ideal.

Jamie
    Free Member

Plus if it is shit, you can sell it on for what you paid for it.

GrahamS

Yep iPad 3 user here. It’s perfectly fine for everything you describe and I’ve yet to see it struggle with any games.

As Jamie says the newer iPads don’t really offer anything different enough that I feel the need to upgrade.

GrahamS

Not fussed about playing the super fancy newest games, so it sounds ideal.

I play quite a lot of games and never seen the 3 struggle yet. Games developers aren’t dumb enough to lock out half their market.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

iPad three does all that no probs

DezB
    Free Member

Was the 3 the first one with the new style connector? And the higher -res screen? If so, definitely worth £120 (that’s what I paid for an iPad (1) when they first came out, so a good price)

GrahamS

Was the 3 the first one with the new style connector? And the higher -res screen?

3 has the the old style connector but yeah it was the first iPad with Retina display, Bluetooth 4.0, 1GB RAM, and 1080p video camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices#iPad

flyingmonkeycorps

The retina screen is very tempting too. Would be a handy mobile portfolio for photos, on the rare occasion I need one.

prawny

I’ve got that one, it’s fine. Might upgrade to a newer one when the battery dies. Other than that, no point.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I bought an iPad 3 last year and I have no regrets and no intention of upgrading.

chvck
    Free Member

I have the 3, use it mostly for recipes when I’m cooking, netflix, games and reading safari books. Not had any issues with how powerful it is as yet.

GrahamS

The retina screen is very tempting too

If it helps, photos looks lovely on it.

Quite a noticable difference, even compared to my good IPS full-sRGB PC monitor.

plumber
    Free Member

I have a 2 and 4 – more than happy to use either

ross980
    Free Member

I’ve got a 3. Never found it slow or laggy. The retina screen is great and the battery hasn’t seemed to deteriorate after 18 months (9-10 hours use per charge). Charging takes a long time and it won’t charge off the 12v adaptor in the car or my portable USB battery thing. Mine was an Apple refurb (though it was discontinued when I got it and it may have been brand new according to some sources). It cost £370 for a 32gb. I’d say £120 is a very good price, even if just 16gb.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

We have a 3 and an air, to be honest there’s not much in it apart from being slightly heavier and also bigger for the same screen size, I don’t mind which one I pick up they both do the job

GrahamS

Charging takes a long time and it won’t charge off the 12v adaptor in the car or my portable USB battery thing.

Yeah it needs a 10 watt (2.1 amp) charger.

iPhone chargers are often 5 watt (1 amp) and won’t manage to charge an iPad (or at least it will be very slow)

See http://store.apple.com/uk/question/answers/ipad/iphone-v-ipad-charger-cables-wattage/QFF2KJFJXKFFKU7KX

jambalaya
    Free Member

@flying – that seems like a steal ! How much storage ? I have an iPad1 (4+ years now) still used every day and I understand I could probably sell that for around £100 and it has no retina screen, is stuck on iOS5 (vs 7 now) and it crashes quite a bit as current website ads are very complex and it cannot handle some of them. FYI I have a 64GB one and if I bought again I think 32 would be fine.

My iPad charger broke, you can charge it with a phone charger it just takes along time

If you don’t want it I’ll have it !! email if profile 😉

flyingmonkeycorps

Not sure on the storage – my little bro is upgrading to an Air (he writes about mobile devices for a living, so he needs to be at the front of the curve, as it were). Pretty sure I’m gonna have it off him.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@flying – if heeds to be at the front of the curve he’s missed the boat on the Air it’s 5 months old now :wink:. New “Air 2” expected later this year.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘iPad 3 – any good?’ is closed to new replies.