Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Ipad 2 or Ipad mini
  • bentandbroken

This time it’s Apple or nothing, sorry to android fans etc 😉

Anyone got real world experiences of using both or swapping from one to the other? Any thoughts as to which ones best? Mostly for general home use and will be Wi-fi only 16GB. Probably end up being used mostly for web surfing and games like minecraft/settlers, but will probably occasionaly be used to watch a film or TV program while travelling

I’ve only used an iPad for about 2 mins. Is the mini ‘too small’? Is the 2 likely to be ‘retired’ quicker by apple even though its the same processor?

Help me decide!

PS – It’s a pressie for someone so I want to try and get it right

AlexSimon

My vote is for the Mini.
    Only reason I like the iPad 4 over the mini is the retina display.
    iPad 2 doesn’t have that, so I would go mini.

It doesn’t feel too small – in fact the opposite it true – the full size ones can feel too big and definitely too heavy.

CountZero

For what you want, go Mini, it’s much lighter and easier to hold, and the screen is very easy to read on.

CFYB
    Free Member

There’s supposed to be some sort of Apple ‘Media Event’ on the 10th September. Rumours of launching a new Ipad (thinner like the mini) and possibly a new Retina Displayed Mini, so might be worth waiting if you can (realise it’s a present so may be a time factor). Also rumours about an iPhone 5S and 5C (cheaper iphone) but that’s another thread altogether…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped from a 1st gen iPad to a mini – there’s an obvious boost in performance, but I’ve been surprised at how much more user friendly I find the mini; it’s much more handy, and so far, I haven’t noticed it being any less useable for either ‘media consuming’ or as a ‘second screen’ alongside my laptop for note taking and task management stuff.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The iPad mini is great for portability, it basically fits into a large inside coat pocket, it’s a bit of a compromise in terms of screen size for reading text on websites. If absolute portability isn’t an issue then go full size.

I have an iPad1 – had it since shortly after launch – it’s fantastic but feels a bit dated now as it’s only iOS5 and it’s noticably slower than newer models but I have no issues with the screen, yes next to a Retina it’s noticable but stand alone the screen quality still amazes.

You don’t need 3G (as you say) you can either use your phone to act as a router or use WiFi which is available in so many places and download a lot of content to read offline. If you really must you can get a mobile wifi device, I have one from 3 which works very well but it doesn’t get that much use.

EDIT: have a play with both in an Apple store and get staff to show you as there a features you might not stumble accross, suggest you try reading some newspaper websites to see how you like text sizes (or load STW Forum) – zooming in is very easy with swipe gestures also you have the “reader” option in Safari which for someone with poor eyesite and who often forgets my reading glasses is handy. A mini will probably fit into a ladies handbag so might be a factor if it’s a gift.

rocketman
    Free Member

Would agree with the comments about the mini. Very comfortable to use, less of a brick than the full-size iPad. Smaller screen perfectly useable for the Internetz, video, reading

GrahamS

Wouldn’t buy either without Retina display.

I specifically held out till the iPad 3 because I wanted the Rteina display and I’m very glad I did.

What’s the point in an “electronic magazine” if the resolution is pitiful compared to print?

jambalaya
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Wouldn’t buy either without Retina display.

I specifically held out till the iPad 3 because I wanted the Rteina display and I’m very glad I did.

What’s the point in an “electronic magazine” if the resolution is pitiful compared to print?
    As I said in my post the iPad1 display is fantastic. The Retina is definitely better but it’s quite had to tell unless you see them side by side. There is no way an iPad1 resolution is pitiful compared to print.

johnhe

There are two older ipad 2’s and a new one with retina display in my house. I can’t tell any difference in quality of the picture between them. To my eyes, Retina desplay is a nonevent. YMMV obviously.

GrahamS

I suspect sensitivity varies but I definitely notice the difference.

A pic heavy mag like Singletrack looks way better on a retina display (to me) and rivals print for clarity, with very detailed pics, good colour and nice smooth text, whereas on the older iPads it looks very bitty and jagged.

prawny

I love my mini, the only thing it’s not as good as the ipad3 we’ve got at home is for reading magazines on, text is formatted for a larger screen so it just isn’t quite as good. The next one with retina display might help this, but I read that the retina display is thicker and heavier so I’d want to see what difference it made before I swapped. The big ipad seems really heavy now I’m used to the mini.

For the internet, games, books and watching tv at work or on the train it’s perfect.

jam-bo

I can’t tell any difference in quality of the picture between them.

should have gone to specsavers then…

the-muffin-man

The lower res is less noticable on the Mini, its the same 1024×768 resolution as the early big iPads, but squeezed into a smaller screen so appears sharper (but not as sharp as retina).

We have a Mini and its been great.

mav12
    Free Member

i have a 3 and just bought my g/f a mini both are exellent impressed with the mini so light and slim go an have a play with both size is just right on the mini for portability

there is not that much difference in screen quality imo

iwould be happy with either

and jl are doing 3 yr warranty on the mini

ash.addy
    Free Member

I spoke to a member of staff in HMV he told me that the ipad mini was basically the same as the ipad 2 (internally).

drbob65
    Free Member

go mini, smaller, lighter, just as good

bentandbroken

Thanks Peeps, you mostly seem to be pushing towards the Mini which is where I was leaning ever so slightly 🙂

The comment on Apple Media day on 10th Sept is an interesting/worrying one. Not sure if I can delay that long (5 days after the big day), but I bought an iTouch just before the new one was announced so am a bit wary of being caught out again 🙁

GrahamS

A slightly odd worry given that you’re comparing against the iPad 2 which is over 2 years and 2 versions old (as the current version is the iPad 4).

But yeah, it is quite possible that a new iPad will be announced.

AlexSimon

In previous events, the hardware has been about 10 days after the announcement.
    Also, the majority of sites are saying that the 5S and 5C phones and iOS7 release will be everything for Autumn, with new iPads coming early spring.

GrahamS

Also, the majority of sites are saying that the 5S and 5C phones and iOS7 release will be everything for Autumn

Yep.. but never discount the possibility of a “Just one more thing…” announcement at an Apple press release. It has happened before.

(but most likely you’re right)

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I just re-read your title/post and I would not buy an iPad2 (if can you still get them) vs a new model Mini – my iPad1 is slow vs the new machines, the 2 will be better but not very future proof. You definitely want to be on iOS7 when it comes out.

unovolo
    Free Member

Got a Ipad Mini(Company supplied) prefer it too the Ipad 1,2,3,4 size wise,but overall I prefer my Nexus 7.

toby1

If you have a bulk of clubcard vouchers to use the Tesco site you can get an iPad Mini for £175 of vouchers.

I’m going to be in NYC for the announcement (unplanned) if there is an Mini I might just have to buy one – I’ve been thinking it’d be good for work 🙂

bentandbroken

OK, reading that back I can see why my worry seems odd. However, the iPad 2 is already ‘last generation’, but the mini is still ‘current generation’. I think this is the thing that worries me a bit, I don’t want to have the latest product on day 1, but have the ‘last generation’ product on day 5. That’s not a poseur worry, more about resale value/obsolescence (heads off to look for iOS7 compatibility)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I thought the Mini was an iPad2 in terms of its internals, just smaller? I personally prefer the larger sized iPad as I use it more as a replacement to my Mac – the Mac only gets an airing when I need to do something the iPad can’t, but 90% of what I use a computer for can be done on an iPad and the convenience of the iPad is great. If I want something smaller I use my phone.

My dad’s got a mini and he loves it, it is a nice piece of kit, but I just fail to understand a scenario where I would want a smaller screen. I don’t have a problem with the size of the full size iPad.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bentandbroken – my iPad1 is 3 or 4 years old and still going strong(ish), the current Mini is going to be current for some time … the great thing with Apple is you’ll get all the software updates automatically. Be careful about iOS7 “compatibility” as some of the older hardware will allow an update but not all the features work (iPad1 is stuck on iOS5 BTW)

monkeychild
    Free Member

I had the iPad, iPad mini dilema a bit ago. I ended up getting a refurb 64GB iPad 3 for £340 🙂 I am glad I went full size as STW mag and other mags are a dream to read on it. On demand TV is fantastic and web browsing is immense. My PC is relegated.

piemonster

I have an ipad4 retina and the girlfriend has a mini.

They are both excellent in different ways.

If screen resolution really matters, get a retina display.

If portability matters more, get a mini. Simple really. You can view magazines pretty well on the mini, buts no match for the ipad4 retina. As it goes, the girlfriend travels a lot with work. Doing what she does the mini is far better thing to have.

IanW
    Free Member

Mini

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy any new apple device until after Sept 10th. Possibility of a new ipad being announced.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Ipad 2 or Ipad mini’ is closed to new replies.