Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • ios5 isn't really very good
  • onandon
    Free Member

The 4s doesn’t have 4s on the back. no obvious way of telling them apart.

OS5 has been great on my 4s, no issues to report.

philconsequence
    Free Member

not noticed any problems on the touch 4th generation, but mrsconsequence has moaned a little about the lag inputting text on the iphone4

xiphon
    Free Member

Good luck in downgrading to iOS4.. took me best part of a day tinkering… worked eventually, but it’s not for the fainthearted.

Turns out the handset was faulty, not iOS5 playing silly games.

iOS 5.0.1 over here, on a 3GS.

GrahamS

The 4s doesn’t have 4s on the back. no obvious way of telling them apart.

Doesn’t it? Odd. Well I guess the other way to tell is if you have a microphone button on the keyboard for activating Siri.
    Only the 4S has Siri.

Drac

no obvious way of telling them apart.

The 4S has black lines on all 4 corners of the case.

Edit: See here.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Funnily enough wifi sync worked today. Maybe apple were listening 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Latest issue – typing a web address in the address bar and when I type the first letter it disappears. Oh for **** sake. 🙄

Oh hold on its ‘fine’ now.

Ewan
    Free Member

Just in case it makes anyone feel better, ios5 has been perfect on my iphone 4.

Just thought you might want to know. 🙄

CountZero

I’m waiting for Countzero and his amazing lack of paragraphs…

Others on here spell badly and don’t use correct punctuation, and you bitch about paragraphs. Pedant.
    FWIW, the text lag thing I’ve noticed since the upgrade, but, it’s only on here, and one other forum; I’ve not noticed it anywhere else, for some reason. I’ve not tried other browsers for this site, I’ll give it a go with Perfect Browser or one of the others I’ve got, and see what happens.
    Although the lag doesn’t seem to be quite so bad at the moment.
    Regarding wifi randomly dropping off and going onto 3G, using up data, I had that happen a lot, to the extent I changed my contract on O2 to give me 1Gb of data and less text and minutes, but that was long before the iOS 5 update, and isn’t so bad now, but still happens from time to time.
    I think it’s a lot to do with BT’s shonky router and network, personally.

CountZero

Well, I had singular lack of success trying two other browsers. 360browser took an absolute age just opening pages I lost the will to live, Opera opened them fine, but I couldn’t log on to STW, it wouldn’t accept my password, and when I tried the ‘forgotten password’ route, it just kept going back to the login box, and I couldn’t get any further.

¶ Deeply frustrating, I have the password written down, so I’m sure it’s correct.

¶ I might give it another try after shutting the phone down and rebooting it, see if that works.

big_scot_nanny

GrahamS – Member
    I seems to have affected iPhone more in general, it has completely **** up the iPod part of the iPhone,
    In what way? The Mrs’ 3GS is fine with iOS5, including the iPod bit.

it’s just sooo slllloooooooowwwww.

Tap a soft button (like to go back to playlists for example, not a fancy button press like “genius”, I mean just navigating about the iPod) and there is the most interminable lag, and occasionally just locks up. Hugely frustrating.

I also hate the new look of the iPad iPod app. It looks, frankly, shite. And again is also monumentally slow and unresponsive now.

Kev

CountZero

I did try 360Browser, which wasn’t good, so gave Opera a try. Looked good at first, quite fast, and no type lag, but there were other, more significant issues.
    Typing into the text box won’t allow you to scroll down to access the modifiers for italic, bold, video, etc, which is irritating, but even worse, once you enter a thread, Opera won’t let you out, tapping the Chat button just takes you back into the thread you’re already in. To get out you have to go into Forums then select Chat.
    Bloody pain. Sticking with Safari, the lag seems to go away after awhile, but all other functions work fine.
    This on an iP4, btw.

GrahamS

it’s just sooo slllloooooooowwwww.

Tap a soft button (like to go back to playlists for example, not a fancy button press like “genius”, I mean just navigating about the iPod) and there is the most interminable lag, and occasionally just locks up. Hugely frustrating.

Just asked the missus and she’s not seen any of that. I just had a little play and it seems fine: tapping on the soft button to switch between Playlists, Artists, Songs and Albums is instantaneous. (3GS with iOS 5 with 134 albums / 1600 songs).

I suggest a trip to the Genius Bar.

The fact your iPad is also slow, presumably with the same song library, might maybe suggest something is screwed up in your iTunes library (dodgy metadata or something?)

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i have found it very laggy on my ipod touch 4th gen. pressing icons to open apps is delayed, safari crashes a lot as do various other apps intermittently.

however, imessage is brilliant.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Installed the ios5 bug fix patch last night, so far so good…

GrahamS

pressing icons to open apps is delayed, safari crashes a lot as do various other apps intermittently.

Do you ever shut down all the background apps? Unless there is a buggy one then they usually don’t take up much memory, but IIRC the Touch is already quite low on RAM.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i do shut them down – the apple data feedback thingy does show lots of low memory warnings though.
    The frustrating thing is that i am doing nothing different to before the ‘upgrade’ and it operates slower.
    Seems to be the way with apple at the mo if hardware is not brand new. I am hanging off a Lion install for similar reasons.

wrecker
    Free Member

Interweb slows to a halt on my iPad 2. Very frustrating and disappointing.
    I’m loving the iPad and considering an iMac next but for all I like about the kit, it always seems that the software is not quite right (Losing apps on updates, updates which make things worse, iTunes can be a real pain in the arse).
    Why can’t I play my videos through iTunes?
    I do want to get away from windows but wonder if the mac will piss me off just as much?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Siri is shite. the only thing the 4s has over the 4 is the 64gb

GrahamS

Siri is shite. the only thing the 4s has over the 4 is the 64gb

And the significantly better camera of course.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I do want to get away from windows but wonder if the mac will piss me off just as much?

Yes, if not more. I had no issues with Windows but I was so thoroughly impressed with my iPhone and the quality of the iMac hardware that I took the leap to an iMac. Sure, there are plenty of positive things about it but because my expectations were so high I got very annoyed when things didn’t work as they should (or how I expected). It looks great on my desk but I do sometimes wish I’d saved the money and got another Windows PC. They don’t “just work” any more than a Windows PC.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IOS 5 is fine on my iP4. I did have the laggy text thing but that’s improved a bit in 5.1. It’s only STW where I get this though.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘ios5 isn't really very good’ is closed to new replies.