Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • ios5 isn't really very good
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m having quite a lot of issues with ios5 and I’m beginning to get a bit pissed off with it. Issues so far

* issue with altitude reading with gps apps (now sorted with ios 5.0.1)

* random lag when inputting text on safari

* now randomly failing to connect to wifi both in the office and at home. Have to turn it off an back on.

* iCloud a bit pish (should be called iCould but I just haven’t got it quite right.)
    for example I can’t sync via wifi on my phone despite having set the device and itunes to do so. One ipad looks like it’s trying but fails.
    apps and music are supposed to automatically be downloaded to other devices linked to my account but they don’t. The devices are all set up for this.

* iMessage – My wife and son both have ipads and we’re all linked to the same itunes account, I’d like to be able to send them iMessages but it will only send to my wifes not my sons. Surely it would be better if iMessage didn’t just send to the name the itunes account is in but the device name instead.

Positives – photo stream is great, tabbed browsing is good, eh I’m struggling here.

Not typed on my ithing.

carbon337
    Free Member

The text input is really bad.

bol

Yep, my iPhone 4 is really struggling with it. Starting to get on my nerves a bit. Anyone know how to backtrack to iOS4?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No Flash either. 😐

Markie
    Free Member

Regarding iMessage. I think (but don’t know, cause I’m new to it!):

That if each of you had your own Apple ID, you could each have an iCloud account. This would mean that you could iMessage each other. It would also mean that your reminders and so on would stay private.

You could then use Home Sharing to sync apps, music and videos between devices.

Basically, your current account would become your home sharing account, all the others would be new.

This may also help your syncing with iCloud, as for us it’s working perfectly, two accounts each with an iPad and an iPhone.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Gave up on iCloud after it duplicated all my iCal entries and I had to go through a years worth and delete one of each entry. When it next synced it removed the second one and I had a blank calendar. Nice.

Delay on text entry is a pain as well.

Lion’s a bit rubbish too. But that’s another story.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t have an issue about flash.

Gary_M
    Free Member

But if we each had our own apple id then the bits that do work wouldn’t. And reminders can stay private on the device.

Markie
    Free Member

But if we each had our own apple id then the bits that do work wouldn’t.

Which is what you then use Home Sharing for. Ah, and you’re not sharing or syncing or backing up reminders or calendars, so of course they stay private, I see!

Sorry if this sounds fanboi, I r not 1, but was v pleased to get our setup working so nicely!

uplink
    Free Member

Adobe have now canned mobile Flash so it won’t be a problem for most before much longer 😀

PePPeR

The random slowness of the text input in Safari is very annoying! I’m also finding the camera causing problems and it hangs when saving the images in HDR mode!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I thought home sharing only worked with devices using the same apple id

lodious
    Free Member

Text entry must be terrible…GrahamS hasn’t chimed in to defend it 😀

Markie
    Free Member

I thought home sharing only worked with devices using the same apple id

Sort of. Basically each computer (or phone, or whatever) uses its owners unique ID in a couple of places, but then also has the shared homeshare ID and password stuck in it somewhere else. Up to five devices can be linked by the shared homeshare ID.

In our case, the shared homeshare ID is my wife’s original one, cause that’s what all the apps and stuff were bought on. She also uses that ID as her unique ID.

Text entry must be terrible…GrahamS hasn’t chimed in to defend it

He might be trying…

giys. trxt emtry iis bot tjat vad

crikey
    Free Member

I’m waiting for Countzero and his amazing lack of paragraphs…

Gary_M
    Free Member

He’s probably trying. I do like apple products but this is turning me off big time.

big_scot_nanny

Must admit, doing this now on an iPad and it is also w*nk at text input. Very annoying on both is (ipad1) and iPhone (3GS).

I seems to have affected iPhone more in general, it has completely **** up the iPod part of the iPhone, which is bad as that is 75% of my reason for having it. It is now so slow and unresponsive it is terrible.

Harrumph.

kev

GrahamS

GrahamS hasn’t chimed in to defend it

You rang? 😀

I am seeing a bit of lag when I start typing (iPhone 4 with iOS5.0.1), especially on Singletrack. Very noticeable and annoying for the first few words, but fine after that.

I gather others are having more pronounced issues tho. Not sure what causes it. I had the same thing with iOS4 on some forums.

I wonder of it is related to something odd like your user dictionary size or something?

now randomly failing to connect to wifi both in the office and at home. Have to turn it off an back on.

Not seen any issues with that. Could be your aerial maybe?

for example I can’t sync via wifi on my phone despite having set the device and itunes to do so. One ipad looks like it’s trying but fails.

That’s not iCloud that’s just the wireless syncing. Should only do it when you are connected to power supply, it has decent charge and it can see the computer on your network running iTunes. Some PC firewalls screw it up too so you may want to disable the firewall and see if it works.

I don’t use this feature though as I don’t leave my PC on for it to sync to.

apps and music are supposed to automatically be downloaded to other devices linked to my account but they don’t.

Works for me. Tough I turned it off cos I got sick of automatically getting all the crap the missus was getting. Again it only does this when on wifi. If yours isn’t working then I guess it could be related to your wifi issue. Same goes for the wireless syncing.

GrahamS

I seems to have affected iPhone more in general, it has completely **** up the iPod part of the iPhone,

In what way? The Mrs’ 3GS is fine with iOS5, including the iPod bit.

iain1775
    Free Member

Yep I had the text lag problem and most annoyingly the wifi connection issues
    They seem to have randomly gone away now though (not yet gone to 5.0.1)

GrahamS

BTW, if you do have problems with Wifi then instead of turning the phone off and back on again, try just going into Airplane mode and back again. That should restart all the wifi stuff.

iain1775
    Free Member

Yeah shouldn’t have to do that though it’s pretty annoying when your browsing and don’t notice it’s switched from wifi to 3G and your using up all your monthly allowance

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not seen any issues with that. Could be your aerial maybe?

Why would it just start after an iOS update then?

Don’t really think wifi is the issue to be honest as indidnt have any issues before.

Thanks fair the ‘airplane’ mode tip.

Glad it’s not just me btw. I’ll take a look at the firewall but it’s just too much hassle to get a device to do what it’s supposed to do.

GrahamS

Why would it just start after an iOS update then?

Dunno. Just a guess.

I’ll take a look at the firewall but it’s just too much hassle to get a device to do what it’s supposed to do.

MMmmmm.. if it is the firewall then it is hardly Apple’s fault that security you’ve put in place is doing its job properly.
    That’s a bit like complaining that you still have to open your garage to park in it, even though you’ve bought a really nice car. 😀

Anyways I’ve just been reading up on the typing lag thing. Interestingly I can see thread going back to 2008 about it! Only seems to hit some people.

Typical suggestions seem to be: try deleting your internet cache; try shutting down all background apps; try doing a reset.

GrahamS
    convert

Are those of you having issues doing so on older phones? Iphone 4s here (from a 3g) and it seems pretty amazing to me but then again that might be having a phone that I can’t make a cup of tea between asking it if I might send and text and it actually doing it that’s impressing me . Icloud- meh, so so. Siri – once you’ve asked it all the puerile questions you can think of I’m struggling to work out how it’s advancing my life (apart from constantly going off in my pocket much to everyone else’s amusement). Once it’s been de-yankified and knows about the rest of the world and I can ask “when is the next train to London?” and it knows then I’ll be impressed.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Typical suggestions seem to be: try deleting your internet cache; try shutting down all background apps; try doing a reset.

So not quite opening the garage door then 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

It’s not wifi synching with itunes (i turned that off find it a pita) it’s just the iPhone connecting to wifi networks
    It can see them says there is full signal strength but won’t connect, or then when connected keeps disconnecting
    It’s a nothing to do with firewalls etc as nothing like that has changed, it started the day I upgraded to ios5 that’s the only variable
    Anyway like I said had no problems for a few days, bizarrely since they released 5.1 even though I’ve not installed it!

GrahamS

So not quite opening the garage door then

Kind of mixing up two issues there no?

The garage door comment was in relation to your own firewall blocking your wifi syncing.

Those suggestions were regarding the weird keyboard lag thing.

It’s not wifi synching with itunes (i turned that off find it a pita) it’s just the iPhone connecting to wifi networks
    It can see them says there is full signal strength but won’t connect, or then when connected keeps disconnecting

Yer I know. The firewall comments were for the OPs problems.
    Dunno why yours is struggling to stay connected to wifi.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I find Safari crashes all the time 🙁 – and the text thing too!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yer I know. The firewall comments were for the OPs problems.
    Dunno why yours is struggling to stay connected to wifi.

Fair enough but with lots of people in this thread having no issues then ios5 definately isn’t ‘right’. Wow just typed with no lag for a change.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Downgrade details here http://www.redmondpie.com/downgrade-ios-5-to-4.3.3-4.3.5-on-iphone-4-3gs-ipad-2-ipad-1-ipod-touch-how-to-tutorial/

I think i am going to do this as IOS5 is arse on my 3GS.

tonyg2003

Sadly it looks like ios5 is only good on the 4S. Another happy 4S user here. I didn’t upgrade my 3S because of possible issues.

Siri is very good (not for the wife’s accent thought :D) at speech to text. I use it all the time instead of writing texts/e-mails. Much quicker – although I don’t use it in public!

phiiiiil

I’ve found the most annoying problem is the return of the Safari “press back and you get an old cached page” bug, previously seen when ios4 first came out and fixed shortly after. Makes reading STW a pain because it keeps listing all the threads from a few days ago…

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Phiiiiil…. yes that’s a pain

The worst thing is how the text entry in my work webmail browser now completely sucks on my iPad. Freezes, needs saving etc etc Seems ok on the 4s though,

Siri though is great

GrahamS

I think i am going to do this as IOS5 is arse on my 3GS.

What are you seeing wrong on the 3GS? Seems fine on the Mrs’ one, if anything a little snappier than iOS4.

I’ve found the most annoying problem is the return of the Safari “press back and you get an old cached page” bug

Simplest workaround for that is just to open threads in a new tab/page.

GrahamS

double post

LabMonkey
    Free Member

iOS5 is great on a 4S

flap_jack
    Free Member

how do I know if I’ve a 4 or a 4S ?

Thanks

GrahamS

Should say on the back. If you have to ask then you probably have a 4.
    The 4S only came out very recently and isn’t available on all networks yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘ios5 isn't really very good’ is closed to new replies.