Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • iOS 7 – can't open a PDF from we page. Help!
  • Rickos
    Free Member

I can’t download anything from the mag archive or any other PDF files in iOS 7 from a web page. In iOS 6 you could download and view and then also open in another app, but now the download goes to about a third of the way along the bar and then nothing. It seems that this is a regular problem, but I can’t find any apple forum threads that actually have a definitive answer!

Anyone found what the problem is?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tried drop box app?

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve got Dropbox already. I used to be able to view a PDF from a link in safari. I want to be able to do that again rather than have to save the URL and open it in something else.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

Why do you have to save the URL?
    I just hit the open in drop box tab?
    However I’m still running on the old os as I don’t like the new calendar..

Rickos
    Free Member

No, exactly. I don’t even get to see the PDF to be able to do the “Open in…” thing. I get nothing. So, I have the copy and paste the URL into good reader or something. And that’s not always possible either.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve never had this issue. Have you tried web page from a comoiter to check if PDF is corrupted ?

Can you post the link and we’ll try it

PS what’s funny is the apple auto correct of your thread title, got the same tng when I typed responce 🙂

Rickos
    Free Member

Works fine from a computer. It’s for several web pages. Try this one for size –

http://www.mssportsclub.com/html/2opening_times.htm

And then click on one of the links there – Lent Term, etc. That launches a PDF which I can never see in Safari.

Rickos
    Free Member

This is on iOS 7.0.4 across both iPads and my iPhone too.

Drac

If you have a few apps that will open up PDF files it can cause conflicts as more than one may try and open the PDF file, it should only let the one in use open it. However, buggy apps may try and force to open the app causing a conflict. You need to find out which one is doing that and best way is to delete them one at a time.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23347626#23347626

jambalaya
    Free Member

No problem for me on iOS7 on iPhone 4S or iOS5 on iPad 1 – very strange it’s happening on both your devices. Perhaps @Drac is onto something although I would have thought Safari would “rule” if it where the active app. You could try simple reset (power off) and clearing cache and history but you’d lose your web page logins.

EDIT Drac’s post refers to the open in option in mail so is not the same issue I think

grum
    Free Member

That PDF loads fine for me too on an ipad2 running ios7.

Rickos
    Free Member

Jambalaya – I’ve tried all that.

I’ve also just deleted any app that could open PDF files including iBooks and Dropbox 🙁 as per Drac’s link and still no luck.

grum
    Free Member

Switch it off then switch it on again? 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hum .. Genius bar appointment at your local Apple store, I find it really odd it’s affecting both devices. Are the devices both full ?

You might try and search Apple support forums and MacRumors forums

Last resort (clutching at straws) is a restore from backup via iTunes. Sorry not to be more help.

Drac

I’ve also just deleted any app that could open PDF files including iBooks and Dropbox as per Drac’s link and still no luck.

It won’t be iBooks as that’s Apple’s own.

Rickos
    Free Member

Actually I lied – it’s all iPhine on the iPhone.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just tested on mine and all fine, running ios6

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rikos – that’s good news, more understandable its “just” one device. Happy hunting 😉

Rickos
    Free Member

Ah, but no. It’s on both the iPad 2 and the iPad mini, but not the iPhone.

*is frustrate*

Rickos
    Free Member

Just downloaded Chrome and that can’t open them either, so it’s not a Safari issue.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘iOS 7 – can't open a PDF from we page. Help!’ is closed to new replies.