Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • iOS 14.0 : phone performance
  • grtdkad

So…upgraded my iPhone software on my XS to iOS 14 yesterday.
    And it’s a complete pita, everything has slowed right down plus an occasional message of ‘no internet’.
    I have rebooted three times and it’s no better.
    Any clues what’s up with it?
    Can I roll back to the previous version?

jam-bo

Hard reboot or soft reboot.

grtdkad

Thanks Jambo, I’ve just hard rebooted and it appears quicker now.

footflaps

I had my first full crash in years yesterday, mid FB, screen went black and it just switched off..

Eventually came back to life…

GrahamS

It’s always a little slow for up to 48 hours after a major OS upgrade because it goes an re-indexes all your photos, videos etc.

My venerable iPhone SE (1st gen) is on iOS 14 now and no issues. If anything I’d some UI feels a little faster.

(Note: I always do major updates via iTunes rather than OTA. Means I can take a full backup first, doesn’t require as much free space on the phone, and generally seems to go better IME).

mashr

SE2 was doing as above but now seems fine. Tell tale was the battery taking a hammering, seems back to normal a few days later

RDL-82
    Free Member

Battery seemed to quickly return to normal for me (11pro) and all is otherwise fine apart from the lock screen being non responsive occasionally. Lock then unlock solves it.

14.2 beta has gone public I believe so no doubt another update soon.

xora

No change to performance on my XR.

But did have almost complete UI crash today, only one icon worked, no swiping 🙂

grtdkad

Yeah, thanks all. It’s been a little temperamental today. Let’s see how it goes over the next couple of days.

peterno51

14.0.1 now available

grtdkad

Well that was a chore.
    Strange thing that. All of the bugs that 14.0.1 fixed were the performance issues introduced by 14.0.0

Ba$#@rd$

Vortexracing

Mine keeps freezing on various apps 🙁

PITA !!!!

grtdkad

Yup. It’s been a total pita Vortex.
    Hopefully .1 will be better.
    Mine was hanging constantly.

CountZero

I did an OTA installation on my iP11, and it seemed to go fine, not noticed any significant performance issues so far.
    Oh, apart from the only Widget I bothered setting up, which was the clock. Which was showing completely the wrong time, for no reason I could see. I only have one world clock set, which is London, so it could have randomly selected another time zone, but nothing I could find would set it back to London time, so I removed the Widget and it’s back to the correct time.
    Hopefully there will be some more widgets for the likes of WeatherProHD and Shazam, and Dark Sky will make its presence felt in the native weather app.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Iirc Shazam is getting baked in and will be available from the control centre. It’s in 14.2 (the current beta) again iirc. I don’t bother running beta stuff just recall reading something about it

I use Shazam a lot so would be a nice addition if it does happen

Edit: yep, it’s coming…

https://9to5mac.com/2020/09/17/ios-14-2-beta-adds-new-control-center-toggle-for-built-in-shazam-music-recognition/?_gl=1*1wdeiu3*_ga*YW1wLU5QTXl5WHltbHp3ZnJDSjk5ZC1SYWEzbk12dGYxUEtEZWRaZUFPTHM4SnB1Q3JuamlQN1ZZejd5aUF1bDVzRWU.

grtdkad

So 14.1 did appear to get performance back to normal (but I’ve had a couple of “hangs” so will reserve judgement for now.

It does appear to have accelerated battery draining though – crazy quick battery use on my Xs, just in the last 24hrs. Will have to recharge and monitor.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘iOS 14.0 : phone performance’ is closed to new replies.