Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)
  • IOS 11
  • Drac

Ok, s’mebbies I got my emoji/animated gifs mixed up a little. I’m not proud enough to apologise so sorry folks.. my bad

You sound miffed.

I’m confused. I thought the motivation was that they were ditching support for 32 bit apps to cut down on the number of libraries loaded etc? So if it doesn’t remove those apps then how do they still function after the upgrade?

I think you’ve confused yourself. Why would it remove them? No idea if they still worked as I’ve removed them since, all 2 of them.

And how do you get a list of the offending apps after the upgrade?

The same way.

GrahamS

I think you’ve confused yourself. Why would it remove them? No idea if they still worked

Because, if the explanation of them no longer supporting 32-bit apps is correct, then the 32-bit apps wouldn’t work after the upgrade.

The same way.

Folk above don’t seem to be able to access that list in iOS11.
    What happen when the list is empty – can you still get to the list or is it greyed out?

Drac

Because, if the explanation of them no longer supporting 32-bit apps is correct, then the 32-bit apps wouldn’t work after the upgrade

But the author may upgrade them.

Folk above don’t seem to be able to access that list in iOS11.

I couldn’t access it with my work phone in 10.3.3

What happen when the list is empty – can you still get to the list or is it greyed out?

Just tested, I have an empty list.

Rockape63
    Free Member

You may have noticed earlier that I said I had about 630mb of free memory and the update was 1.2gb, so didn’t think I could update.

Well…I thought I’d give it a whirl and it said it would delete 18 apps and reinstate after the update, so went for it.

Now, the phone has all its apps back and working normally and I have 4.21gb of free memory! WTF???

Drac

Yup it has some clever stuff for storing things in iCloud apparently.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Nice little feature is the ability to take a screenshot (not new), but then immediately be able to annotate, edit and mark it up (new). Might be helpful for explaining “how to” on here 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice little feature is the ability to take a screenshot (not new), but then immediately be able to annotate, edit and mark it up (new). Might be helpful for explaining “how to” on here

Yeah, I found that by accident, which is how I seem to find most “features” these days. It is quite nice.

Drac

Yup it’s nifty as is the screen video record feature.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I appear to have switched on VPN. 😕

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

jam-bo

depends who’s VPN you are connected to.

peteimpreza

OK , so I have the do not disturb feature working as soon as the phone connects to the car by Bluetooth. That bit works fine.

However , when I play some music from the phone in the car , the remote control on my Apple Watch fires up offering a distraction that was not their in iOS10 .

Any idea how to stop this ?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Had mixed experiences with Do Not Disturb whilst driving. It seems to disable some of Siri’s interactions. For instance I can still invoke Siri and say “navigate home”, but the map doesn’t open. To use the map you have to unlock the phone and do it all manually, which seems to defeat the purpose of DND whilst driving. Need to experiment some more. Might be doing something wrong. I like the idea.

Houns

Since upgrading my phone I can’t turn the alert/ringer volume up and down with the rocker button, it just changes speaker volume even though no media is being used

Ignore, found where to sort this.

GrahamS

Not sure if it is the same on iOS 11, but on 10 I’d say check Settings->Sounds and makes sure Change with Buttons was On.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Definte charging issues with our iPads (mini and air2) – left on charge overnight but found totally flat and shut down in the morning. A search of developer forums shows this was a known issue during beta testing.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

@Drac how is the screen video recording done?

Jamie
    Free Member

settings > control center > customise controls > add screen recording

Then just swipe up and hit the screen recording button.

You get a three second countdown to give you time to get to the thing you want to record, but can also trim the final video as usual. Press the red bar at the top of the screen to stop.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Settings->Control Centre->Customise Controls

Here you can add Screen Recording to Conttol Centre shortcuts. Press on it and it gives you a 3-2-1 countdown. Tap on top of screen to stop recording.

lunge

Right then, a question. I’ve added IOS 11 to my iPad Pro, all seems well so far, just 1 think annoys me.
    The bar at the bottom of the home screen that you put the 5 or 6 most used apps (not idea what it’s called) now seems to add recently used apps to itself. This annoys me, any way of disabling this so it’s only the apps I have chosen to be there?

GrahamS

I’m confused Jamie. Could you post a video of that…? 😉

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

@ lunge. Yes, untick the recent apps setting in the dock section of the settings app.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah the Apps in the Bar thingy was damn annoying.. I did ^^^ that it’s a simple task.

Jamie
    Free Member

big_scot_nanny

I’ll add my tuppence worth from a work/heavy user of iPad Pro (12.9)

drag and drop is fabulous

‘files’ is fantastic, esp as use macs as main computer, all files accesible now on ipad, really good (icloud drive, one drive, drop box all in one place)

‘drag up’ for apps/control centre etc is very good, though will have to learn to stop double clicking on home button (i like this new feature as when reading in bed at night I frequently trigger siri by mistake when double clicking, much to wife’s annoyance)

Only thing I do not like is new process to invoke split view, it requires too many steps compared to previous simple flick from right of screen, and changing app in split view is also slower.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Having been using it now nearly a week …. not running smoothly really. App Store app keeps refreshing screen and hanging, two iPads have both run battery down to zero overnight when connected to their chargers – seems this was a known problem in the beta. Battery life on my 6 is definitely worse.

GrahamS

Do you have any way of checking your chargers or USB cables jamba?

I have one of these which is really useful for diagnosing if the cable or charger has gone bad:

http://amzn.eu/31ZYvdg

Kinda damning that it coincides with the iOS11 upgrade but perhaps iOS11 is more sensitive to dodgy charger power than previous versions?

IME Apple chargers are pretty bombproof but their cables are utter crap. Third-party chargers die regularly, but some of the third-party cables are good quality.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I don’t but its two different chargers and (Anker) cables plus an Anker external battery pack with an Apple cable and two different iPads. All that and a known fault reported on beta test forums. I have an iPhone since the 3G and always update iOS immediately, am a bit of a fanboi but 11 is by far the worst update ime for problems. The wife is so p.ssed off she asked me not to update her MBP to High Sierra yesterday despite me saying that would be different/unrelated. She is happy her iPhone 5 is not supported by 11

GrahamS

Hmmm.. that does sound pretty damning. 🙁 Odd coincidence that you are seeing it on two different iPads if it is a rare event though. Suggests there might be some other factor at play. Maybe it depends what apps are installed?

You could try a full backup (in iTunes) followed by a factory reset (without restore) just to see if it still has the problem after that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Restore I can do next week when my have access to my Mac Mini. First update I have had serious issues with but imo it’s definiteiy iOS11

bikebouy
    Free Member

I too use the file storage/access now, having used “file manager” app for years.

I hold a lot of documents on my 6s and it’s where most of my storage goes, the new iCloud file manager is brilliant because I can now delete duplicates held on my phone.. 😀
    However, the other day I needed to send an attachment and was totally confused as to where my files were, I was seeing stuff on my MacAir and going “grrrr, where are my local files on my 6s you gits!!!”
    Then I scrolled around and found em’ 😆

GrahamS

but imo it’s definiteiy iOS11

Yeah, I agree. What I was trying to say was that it seems likely it is “iOS11 + something-else” because you’ve been hit on two different iPads by an issue that (presumably) most people on iOS11 don’t have.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My PadAirs fine..

Is it isolated to models or all iPads ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t know. Wife’s Mini is 4 years old shut down today on 30% battery – onto charger and after 5 mins shows 50% – she is not impressed. My Air2 is 2.5 / 3 years old. You get an error messagr in the top bar and then I think the screen stays on which is what drains the battery overnight. Like most people phones and ipads are charged overight, they conenct and start charging fine. Doesn’t happen evey time

blader1611
    Free Member

2 things are bugging me that hopefully you may have an answer for. You swipe up to get to control centre but swipe down doesnt get rid of it so you have to use the home button which then brings accidentally activating siri back in to play. 2nd thing is when you use control centre on you home pages you also see all the apps in the background which just makes the controls harder to distinguish,any ideas?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Swiping down does work

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just touch the screen above the control centre

blader1611
    Free Member

Swipe down doesnt work for me, it just keeps pulling down notifications. This is on an ipad mini 4,do you have to do it from a particular place (above control centre does not work).

GrahamS

just makes the controls harder to distinguish,any ideas?

In iOS10 you could go to Settings->General->Accessibility->Increase Contrast and turn on “Reduce Transparency” – probably something similar for iOS11?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bkader – just touch a blank part of the wcreen. No need to swipe anywhere

Drac

1 iPhone 6, 6+, 6s, 7 and iPad Pro in our house and had no battery issues. I’d even say the 7 is actually better.

I’ve had the App Store search cycle a couple of times, always when clicking a link to from an eternal source the the app.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘IOS 11’ is closed to new replies.