Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Invited to a Burns Supper
  • dantsw13

Weve been invited to a Burns Supper hosted by one of our Scottish friends. We have all been asked to bring a whiskey along so we can have a tasting session.

Which one of these would you take?

Glenlivet 15
    Glenfiddich 18
    Nikka Taketsuru 21
    JW Blue Label
    Nikka Taketsuru 17
    Nikka Whisky a From The Barrel.

terrahawk
    Free Member

the cheapest one.

GrahamS

dantsw13

I should point out I buy my whisky in Japan, for about 1/2 the uk cost.

myopic
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t take whiskey 😉

dantsw13

Oh, FFS – my iPad autocorrect again!!

core

Decant some cheap stuff into a posh bottle and see what happens

GrahamS

Put the Tesco Value one in the Glenlivet bottle and see if anyone comments? 😈

Edit: dammit beaten to it by seconds. Great minds core.

myopic
    Free Member

Serious answer then, find out what they are taking so you can cover a different region (eg Speyside, Island, Lowland, etc), or conversely all take something different from the same region)

dantsw13

Well, I know there won’t be any Japanese whisky, so I might take one of them. Probably the Nikka Whisky from The Barrel, as my Taketsuru 21 is running low, and proving hard to replace.

SaxonRider

Isn’t Tesco whisky just ‘whisky-flavoured’ alcohol? I wouldn’t stake my life in it, but I’m pretty sure I could tell the difference.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OK, the Japanese stuff would be different, but IME is you are hosting a BS you tend to be traditional and proud of Scottish heritage, so I would play it safe with a Macallan – you would be popular then

scruff9252

Turning up with a tesco value whisky (you could tell the difference even if decanted) would ensure you’re never invited back…

scotroutes

Not one that’s already open!

geoffj

Not one that’s already open!

+1

GrahamS

you could tell the difference even if decanted

You could, but it would be amusing talk it up a bit, maybe get someone else to play along, and then see who was the first to point out that everyone could see the Emperor’s willy. 😀

gallowayboy

As he wrote many of his pomes in Dumfries & Galloway, then a GALLOWAY MALT would be appropriate – that’d be a Bladnoch then, if you can find any!

bearnecessities

Nikka whisky sounds unpleasant.

TooTall
    Free Member

It depends how many people are going to be there and how much you like them / want to be invited back! Something special / unusual is always going to be welcomed.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am more worried about remembering all the reels! It’s been a while…

Saccades
    Free Member

Nikka FTB is awesome bearnecessities.

fourbanger
    Free Member

That Nikka is very tasty.

scotroutes

Reels? It’s a Burns Supper – who are you dancing with?

bruk

If you bought the Japanese Whisky physically in Japan then I would take some of that along and use that. Not tried any yet but it’s reputable pretty good.

Must hunt out a decent haggis and a beep.

Mmm, shame I am on dry January.

maccruiskeen

As he wrote many of his pomes in Dumfries & Galloway, then a GALLOWAY MALT would be appropriate

He wrote a fair few round here too – so maybe a High Commissioner or a Grants Vodka …or a bucket of Ayr River water, in case they’ve accidentally spilt another 6 thousand litres of booze in there again 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I thought the whole point of BN is that it marks the end of dry January?

bruk

Blooming auto correct. Neep not beep. If I did have a Burns night to go to it would be the end of dry January for sure!

Usually on the 25 th so a few days to go.

dantsw13

Bearnecesseties – Nikka is one of the premier Japanese whiskey brands, winning awards all over the place I. The last few years. The “Whisky from the Barrel” is a cask strength offering which is VERY highly thought of.

With reference to taking an open bottle, the request was to “bring something from your cupboard”, so an open bottle is expected

Bruk – yes, I bought it in Japan, but then again, every bottle on that shelf was bought there too

duckman

bruk – Member

Blooming auto correct. Neep not beep. If I did have a Burns night to go to it would be the end of dry January for sure!

Usually on the 25 th so a few days to go.

Posted 12 hours ago #Report-Post

SAY WHAT? The most stinking month of the year and people don’t drink?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Recite Birks O’ Aberfeldy and that leads to the nearest distillery, which is Dewars.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I thought the whole point of BN is that it marks the end of dry January?

dry january ? is that an english thing ?

depends on the crowd… its it a group of guys/girls you know who enjoy a dram at someones house or is it at a sports mans dinner full of random people who enjoy other peoples drams 😉 ……

stevied
    Free Member

Nikka whisky sounds like out of Rogers Profanisaurus 😯

tinybits
    Free Member

I have decanted a bottle of bells into a Glenfiddich 12 for a burns night supper. I think we had something like 40 people there. Not one realised. Not sure what this says, and I hope I’d recognise the difference but after a couple of drinks? Maybe not!

MikeWW
    Free Member

I have decanted a bottle of bells into a Glenfiddich 12 for a burns night supper. I think we had something like 40 people there. Not one realised. Not sure what this says, and I hope I’d recognise the difference but after a couple of drinks? Maybe not!

Out of interest why do that?

trail_rat
    Free Member

social experiment.

tbh most folks level of understanding of whisky it figures.

Used to work on a functions bar

only question i ever got towards our pretty sizable selection was “which is your most expensive whisky” it would have been easy to clear over stock 😉

dmorts

Maybe it says more about Glenfiddich 12!

Regarding the whisky choice, I’d take a Japanese one. Preferably one that isn’t open

dantsw13

It’s definitely a friendly village small affair rather than something big &posh. A mix of English, Scottish & Irish.

The request has come from my Host now to bring a Japanese one, so it’s going to be the cask strength Nikka.

kcal

trail_rat you may be right.
    my boss is a bit of a demon for drams though – usually can highlight area and often a still with unerring accuracy.

With you on the price thing. damn 40 something males 🙂

Best nights have been round at mates with everyone bring a bottle – or raid the hosts. TBH though after 3 I’d be wary of getting stuck into the ever older stuff – should be other way around ha ha!!

tinybits
    Free Member

Out of interest why do that?

I was doing an adhoc meal for a group of close friends at a club I was a member of. This grew to about 40 people, all of which was coming out of my pocket.
    I had some complaints about the quality of the whisky (there was a bar, they could have bought what the hell they wanted!) so I served up hoof wash in a fancy bottle. All the complainers were very happy!
    The close friends got stuck into my stash later on.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Invited to a Burns Supper’ is closed to new replies.