Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Investing pension lump sum
  • highpeakrider
    Free Member

So retirement time, company pension can provide just over £100K tax free lump sum.
    What have people done, self invest, consult IFA, pay a fee to have it managed.
    The web is a minefield of information, i know nothing about investing, no you can’t have my money for a new bike.
    How have people managed this phase of life and what option did you take?

tthew

£100k and you can have a new bike? If you spend three thousand and make 3% it’ll only take you a year to make it back.
    Anyway, for that value lump sum and options for the rest of the pension, (another £300k?) I’d be getting professional, tailored advice.

Greybeard
    Free Member

What I did with my lump sum: put £20k in an ISA with a fund supermarket like Hargreaves Lansdown (but not necessarily them) and invest it in low fee tracker funds like Vanguard. Choose a mixture of markets to track, UK, US, European, emerging markets, and maybe buy some bond funds as well to spread the risk. Every year, pay another £20k slice into the ISA. If you’re quick, you can get the first slice in before 6th April, and then the next one immediately after. I also gave £20k/year to Mrs G to put in an ISA in her name, so it didn’t take long to get it all tax sheltered.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I is disappoint, coke n hookers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Investing pension lump sum’ is closed to new replies.