• This topic has 34 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Introduction to the big five personality traits
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Since this is both a very interesting subject that everyone can learn a lot about themselves from, and since there are quite a few people on here (myself included) who really need to do this, I thought i would share.

Enjoy.

[video]https://youtu.be/pCceO_D4AlY?t=132[/video]

martinhutch

Physician, heal thyself.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

49mins 🙂

hodgynd
    Free Member

Geetee ..I disagree..

Wow ..I just learnt that with a little more practice I’m well on the way to becoming a poet and I haven’t opened the link yet ( neither will I be doing so ).

binners

Oh Christ on a bendybus!

Is this yet another thread trying to justify why your attitude towards women is the wrong side of … you know….. ‘Weinstein’?

Heres a suggestion for you…. why don’t you dedicate as much time and effort to analysing your own spectacularly creepy behaviour as you do trying to justify it to others.

You need professional help. Not more cod philosophy nonsense to justify your vile misogynistic, sexist opinions

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

why don’t you dedicate as much time and effort

err, hasn’t watching the video shown that he has been spending time and effort to analysis his own behaviour ??

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

“an old child – it’s not pretty” what a load of BS.

jam-bo

Is it Kermit again?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Whilst I agree we must also note the Kasae clause here which is those amongst us, with the most extreme/oddest of views, may be suffering with a genuine mental health issue that we should not just mock

OP this is not a dig I am genuinely concerned for your welfare and well being as this is not “normal” behaviour.

I do not agree with his views
    I do not think STW mockery of him is going to do any help and these threads genuinely cause me to worry for him.

#bestleftwellalone

vinnyeh

Gosh binners, while a lot of the time you write fairly sensible and occasionally humorous posts, these two posts of yours reek of stalking and personal abuse- and neither bear any relevance to the original post.

Is excessive use of stronger and stronger adjectives in forum posting the written equivalent of speaking loudly and slowly to Johnny Foreigner in the hope that they’ll be able to understand the very obvious truth that you’re telling them?

teasel
    Free Member

Nicely put, Junkyard.

jimjam
    Free Member

binners – Member

women is the wrong side of … you know….. ‘Weinstein’?
    your vile misogynistic, sexist opinions
    sexism, a disgustingly dismissive attitude to women a

Could someone summarise geetee’s vile, misogynistic sexist opinions? Is he actually espousing hatred and contempt for women of is it Singletrackworld grade misogyny, ie men and women are different, gender isn’t a social construct etc.

binners

cod philosophy nonsense

desperate search of the outer lunatic-fringes of the internet

Jordan Peterson up there has degrees political science and pyschology and a phd in clinical psychology. He was an associate professor of psychology at Harvard University before taking up his post as a psychology professor at the University of Toronto which he has done for 20 years. He’s a published author, his book was serialised for Canadian tv . In addition to that he has almost half an million subscribers to his videos on youtube where his channel has had 26,171,481 views.

He’s also one of, if not the highest ranked intellectual on patreon.

What are your qualifications binners?

km79
    Free Member

What are your qualifications binners?

He draws stuff and eats Greggs.

teasel
    Free Member

I should clarify. I think this…

Kasae clause here which is those amongst us, with the most extreme/oddest of views, may be suffering with a genuine mental health issue that we should not just mock

I do not think STW mockery of him is going to do any help and these threads genuinely cause me to worry for him.

…is right, though it’s definitely not fair to assume it IS mental health just because someone doesn’t have what you later referred to as a “normal” viewpoint, as you put. I don’t agree with the rest of your post.

In my opinion Geetee has proved himself to be very articulate and reasonably self-aware and unless I missed it, hasn’t given any real indication in his writings that he’s suffering from any psychological disorder.

Other than that, it’s good that you object to the way in which Binners is attacking Geetee.

Just to be clear…

footflaps

WTF – didn’t we do this only two days ago?

It didn’t end well then either…..

Is the OP on commission?

Junkyard
    Free Member

to be clear I am not saying he has either and dont want to internet analyse his behaviour but there is enough here for me to switch of my usual response to the opinions being expressed and their frequency. It was meant in a compassionate manner rather than as further insults but yes it is entirely plausible/possible that I am completely wild of the mark.
    We do not know anyone’s backstory or reasons for posting

I am not attacking Binners either I am suggesting why we may be more understanding of the possible reasons before posting and act accordingly.

teasel
    Free Member

It was meant in a compassionate manner

I got that.

I am not attacking Binners either I am suggesting why we may be more understanding of the possible reasons before posting and act accordingly.

I got that, too. I wrote that Binners was attacking Geetee.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Agreed Junkyard.

Junkyard for most civilised poster on STW, of the year. That post speaks volumes about your character.

teasel
    Free Member

Junkyard for most civilised poster on STW, of the year. That post speaks volumes about your character.

I hate to use it but…

🙄

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well it’s true, the forum can get too personal. Geetee strikes me as old fashioned, not some Mindhunteresque lady killer. If a few more people were like Junkyard, and I include myself in that, this forum would be more fun. Ninfan kind of asked for the abuse by constantly trolling, but some of the daft posters eg chewkw and jivehoney get a bit too much stick as well.

You bunch of complete idiots.

teasel
    Free Member

What I mean is I’ve written very similar recently and no one even bothered to acknowledge me aside from the person with whom I was debating, let alone nominate me for some imaginary award. I was accused of hitting below the belt, in fact.

(Edited for removal of unnecessary insult)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Its not that, I don’t often agree with Junkyard…. we’ve come to blows a lot in terror and Israel threads.

I just read Binners post and felt a bit dirty.

The forum should be a laugh at the end of the day….for when we are on nightshifts/back from work etc.

wrecker
    Free Member

Junkyard + 1. I was thinking the same, this does not appear healthy. I feel that geetee’s time may be better spent having a chat with someone rather than reading up.

teasel
    Free Member

The forum should be a laugh at the end of the day….

There we go – you and I are in agreement, too.

nickc

Jordan Peterson up there has degrees political science and pyschology and a phd in clinical psychology.etc etc…

he (the Prof) also has some very stringent views on transgender pronouns and their use, and the imposition in his own rights to ignore the wishes of the individual, and impose his own philosophical belief that some people are not capable of determining their own status, and that somehow for them to do so compromises his free speech. In many ways echoing geetee’s own views on what is or isn’t harassment of others.

km79
    Free Member

He has some very reasonable views (to many people anyway)on pronouns, but more specifically the laws around them, instead of being allowed to debate this there was an organised effort to shut him down at every opportunity and a campaign to put him out of his job.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its not that, I don’t often agree with Junkyard…. we’ve come to blows a lot in terror and Israel threads.

I suspect we would get on in the real world – argue a lot but basically get on.

nickc

km79, his view (broadly summerised) is that it is not up to some-one else to determine their own pronoun (ie transgender people), it is up to him, to admit otherwise infringes his own freedom of speech. his arguments re the Law were specious, and ill-founded. I’m not a fan personally of “safe spaces” or the hounding of people out of the their jobs necessarily though.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickc – Member

km79, his view (broadly summerised)

That is so far his view, or such a mischaracterisation of it from as to be little more than a lie. He has said time and again that he is pro gay rights, pro trans rights, pro lgbtq rights etc. He was taking issue with a potential 80+ gender pronouns being enshrined in law and it being hate speech to refuse to use any of them an individual might choose one day to the next.

Junkyard
    Free Member

and his reasons were as follows

I will never use words I hate, like the trendy and artificially constructed words “zhe” and “zher.” These words are at the vanguard of a post-modern, radical leftist ideology that I detest, and which is, in my professional opinion, frighteningly similar to the Marxist doctrines that killed at least 100 million people in the 20th century.
    I have been studying authoritarianism on the right and the left for 35 years. I wrote a book, Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief, on the topic, which explores how ideologies hijack language and belief. As a result of my studies, I have come to believe that Marxism is a murderous ideology. I believe its practitioners in modern universities should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to promote such vicious, untenable and anti-human ideas, and for indoctrinating their students with these beliefs. I am therefore not going to mouth Marxist words. That would make me a puppet of the radical left, and that is not going to happen. Period

If you wish to big him up that is your choice he reads like he is a bit deranged to me.

he also said this which is just as nuts

Peterson believes that postmodern philosophers and sociologists, while typically claiming to reject Marxism, have merely built upon and extended its core tenets, arguing that they “started to play a sleight of hand, and instead of pitting the proletariat, the working class, against the bourgeois, they started to pit the oppressed against the oppressor. That opened up the avenue to identifying any number of groups as oppressed and oppressor and to continue the same narrative under a different name … The people who hold this doctrine — this radical, postmodern, communitarian doctrine that makes racial identity or sexual identity or gender identity or some kind of group identity paramount — they’ve got control over most low-to-mid level bureaucratic structures, and many governments as well,” he said.

All from wiki obvs

FWIW whatever term someone wishes to use for themself i use as I call it basic politeness I dont need a law to make me do this and I worry that some folk do and they protest that they have to be civil to folk. Whilst I have known one person who changed their pronoun twice this was been art of a ,sometimes difficult, journey of discovery of their identity rather than an attempt to piss me off.
    Just respect them FFS its not a left v right or identity politics issue it just manners.

footflaps

If you wish to big him up that is your choice he reads like he is a bit deranged to me.

He certainly has some strong opinions on controversial subjects. Comes across as a bit of a fruit loop.

Back to the OP though, I just can’t get excited about a 20 minute infomercial on a yet another pop psychology test, whose only purpose is to make the author rich….

Kryton57

I just read this thread and can’t made head not tail of it, just to ensure the internet understands how thick I am.

That’s my anti contribution over, thanks for the opportunity.

jamj1974

I do not think STW mockery of him is going to do any help

^^ This.

Binners, I get you disagree and have a radically different perspective – but you are going beyond criticism to personal attack.

Gunz
    Free Member

yet another pop psychology test, whose only purpose is to make the author rich….

This and it’s much nicer over on Mumsnet most of the time.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Introduction to the big five personality traits’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts