Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Introducing a Nexus 7 into an Apple household
  • carbon337
    Free Member

So got the chance of a Nexus 7 from a guy at work who is awaiting the 32G model next week he thinks.

At the moment I have 2 iphones (mrs and mine) working from an Apple Macbook with Mountain Lion installed.

How will the nexus 7 work with these?

I would ideally like to stream music from the Itunes library to the nexus (dont want to have to sync up the huge library I have) – also browse the iphoto library as thats 25GB

Will it all play nicely~>?

thomthumb
    Free Member

alfine is better sealed 😉

GrahamS

I’d keep the Nexus locked in the kitchen for the first few days, so the Apple products can get used to its scent.

Make sure you feed them all at the same time too so you don’t challenge the existing hierarchy.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I think you’ll be fine! I went from an Iphone to a Samsung Galaxy S3, so Apple to Android but still have my Ipad and Macbook and they all seem to work ok. I transfer my music from itunes to Android using a programme / app called DoubleTwist. What I found was when I plugged in my Andriod to my laptop it recognised I had Apple accounts and details and asked did i want to sync photos, contacts etc…click Yes and it worked. A friend has the Nexus 7 and its very good.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I don’t know about iPhoto but I have a Mac Mini with my iTunes library on (well, accessed from my NAS storage) and stream it to my Nexus 7 using DAAP. This player finds shared music on the network and allows you to stream it.

Alternatively, I use TunesRemote+ on the Nexus to control the music in iTunes on the Mac.

Airbubble allows the Nexus to become wireless speakers for iTunes, so can stream back to it too and listen through headphones or plug speakers in to it.

carbon337
    Free Member

Not sure I want to sync though as syncing will pull all the data to the N7 and use all the space.

Not so fussed on Itunes really since im now using Spotify

Chrome (macbook) bookmarks would be handy to sync.

Gravity ^ you sound like a handy bloke to stay in touch with cheers

santacruzsi
    Free Member

You can sync your Chrome bookmarks from one device to another however you’ll have to keep it signed into your gmail account i think…I can between my android phone and Macbook.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Yes, Chrome bookmarks sync between the Nexus and any Chrome browser that’s also set to sync off the same account.

ES File Manager is also great – tabs for local, network and net so you can copy files from network shares to the Nexus easily (say, download a couple of albums or a film before travelling).

Dropbox is also a good tool for accessing files on the Nexus – sync with the Macbook and use the dropbox app to view files from the cloud. This works well for my photos.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Introducing a Nexus 7 into an Apple household’ is closed to new replies.