Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • interwebs old guard
  • mrchrispy

Our local whatsapp group has kicked off tonight, some proper dicks upsetting some of the more ‘normal’ people causing them to leave the group.

personally, I’m keeping out of it as I’ve been on the internet long enough to know how hard it is to have normal discussions and get points across, way too easy to become a dick (as we often see here :p).

I started farting around on the internet around 91 at university, gopher protocol, mosaic browser for the very few webpages that existed. It was mostly nasa images and the horrors of newsgroups.

how long have you been pouncing around the web?

Cougar

Long enough to know the difference between the Web and the Internet. (-:

scotroutes

Does it count if I was using the internet before there was a web?

Pook

I’m more interested in the WhatsApp shenanigans

slowoldman

Ooh 33.1 modems and newsgroups.

stumpyjon

Mid 90’s can still hear the dial up tone in my head. I remember when social medja was called chat rooms.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I love the information super highway.

Started dicking around online in 95

dudeofdoom

Ahhh the good old Demon internet days 🙂

I had a gravis ultrasound and tbh all you tended to do was download the latest driver from a bulletin board as the thing would never work, just like the USR Sportster ISA card soft modem thing 🙁

My phone bills were a lot dearer then 🙂

It’s funny thou being a pre-webber.

I had one of the the SE macs as well as the 300b modem that was a fantastic thing.

Kuco

When I got my first PC in 93

dudeofdoom

I supppose that put me in the 1990’s, had a spectrum when they were first launched when i was in secondary upper school,in the last months of the lower school we had a spanky new zx81 for about 200 hundred of us to learn on lunchtimes from the manual that came with it.

Russell96

’94 for me when I decided to try with a Demon account, as I got hold of a TCP/IP stack, dialer and browser for my Amiga 1200, after using BBS’s for a few years on my various Amigas.

BoardinBob

Wtf is a local WhatsApp group?

leffeboy

CompuServe logins here. I still miss when pages were just html and didn’t jump around for the next minute after you land on them

Caher

’92 doing searches of academic publications in the uni library.

llama

Email 1991 at uni
    Browser 1993 at work
    Both on really nice sun workstations, they were lovely.

**** me just think, the functionality of a web browser could be fully understood by a single person then 🤣

nealglover
    Free Member

Wtf is a local WhatsApp group?

Have a guess.
    I reckon you can work it out if you try really hard. 👍

oldnpastit

I used a Pr1me at school, back in about 1983 I guess.

We had terminals hooked up via a set of phone lines at 300 baud or so to a server that had been donated by Harwell Research, presumably left over from designing nuclear power stations or something.

YOU ARE STANDING AT THE END OF A ROAD BEFORE A
    SMALL BRICK BUILDING. AROUND YOU IS A FOREST.

A SMALL STREAM FLOWS OUT OF THE BUILDING AND
    DOWN A GULLY.

Who knew it would get so weird from there?

eskay

CompuServe and dial up modem, waiting for those pics to slowly reveal themselves…..!!!

locomotive

This interweb stuff is ok, but I cant see any of it catching on tbh

boombang
    Free Member

My earliest memories are Jo Guest photos slowly appearing…

Head…

Boobs…

No vag…

Try image 21…

ChrisL

I first got Internet access in my first year at university, so either late ’93 or early ’94. Towards the end of that academic year I encountered the World Wide Web via NCSA Mosaic and the text only Lynx browser.

The other thing that dates me on this matter is that like Cougar I still spell Internet with a capital I.

Northwind

I went to the same uni as ChrisL but in ’96, and it was literally the first year where you got it automatically rather than having to have an academic reason. But we were still supposed to restrict personal use (of any kind) to 30 minutes a day IIRC, to avoid overheating the tubes. LOL. Luckily by that time it was modern-ish browsers etc (and everyone had a really strong opinion on what browser to use), you didn’t need to have any actual ability.

When I went back to work at the same uni, I found that of all the “eeeee when I were a lad” stories I’d tell the kids, that was the one that freaked them out most. Then double whammy it with “I lived off campus, so I used to cycle in sometimes just to send an email”. Though, we did get the internet at home a while later- obviously had to have it delivered in the mail on a CD though.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Email – ’89 (cix) iirc. But obvs that was internet not www.

A friend was asked by T B-L to work on the very early development of the WWW but, being a real physicist, wasn’t interested!

OH (who never chucks things out) thinks the original letter signing on with Demon is still around somewhere. (Yikes).

I certainly remember when email lists and usenet groups where where all the good stuff was – that would have been mid 90s.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Mid-late 90s I opened a Rocketmail email account which I still use now. I didn’t really use it until 2000 when I went of backpacking, it seems daft to sell the virtue of email in 2020 as it’s pretty much a dead format for personal communication but it was witchcraft in 2000.

Unbelievably now, I didn’t get my first work email account until 2005 or so, in fact despite being a small regional office of a major bank we didn’t have an internet connection until then. We worked on PCs but everything had to be printed and sent by courier to HQ every night, a system which remained until around 2007 or so, the bank didn’t trust the internet. They rolled out a new multimillion pound CRM system in 2007ish that was based around the system reading barcodes off documents being faxed… madness.

DavidB
    Free Member

1990 – worked in Post Office Research developing services turning email into post. Used to communicate with other postal services by email which took so many forms to get signed off.

ChrisL

Northwind
    I went to the same uni as ChrisL but in ’96, and it was literally the first year where you got it automatically rather than having to have an academic reason

Thankfully my tutor signed the form granting me Internet access without even asking me to stutter out my flimsy so-called academic reason.

boardmanfs18

I remember when forums were bulletin boards and trolls only lived under bridges.

twonks

Will you get off that internet, I need to make a phone call lol
    Freeserve chat 30 somethings (when I was in my 20s)
    ASL?

Ahhhh, sigh.

twistedpencil

94, Pegasus email account at uni, propping up the bar at the virtual blarney whilst doing fortran 90 coursework.  Then getting work accounts and finally at home where my housemate would spend too much time on steak and cheese…

donald
    Free Member

#kcal and I worked for a company that was a hypertext pioneer. In 1990 Tim Berners-Lee asked us to turn our product into the world’s first commercial internet browser. We turned him down. Couldn’t see how to make any money out of it 🙂

maccruiskeen

Though, we did get the internet at home a while later- obviously had to have it delivered in the mail on a CD though.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Playing ‘Multi User Dungeon’ text-based adventure games at Uni in 91. Found it mind blowing to be playing a computer adventure game with other people playing at the same time. I was quite stoned most of the time which probably added to the sense of wonder.

tillydog
    Free Member

Very early 90s (may even have been 1990 – certainly pre ’93) – Apollo Internet BBS account which allowed full internet access, then moved to Demon a few years later. Usenet / BBS based until this html thing caught on.

alt.binaries.pictures…..what??!!?

My first modem was 14400 baud – I thought it was worth the premium over 9600.

(The above ignores the 300 baud acoustic coupler (=shoebox on m1 for Python fans) that we used during “Computer Studies” at school in ca. 1981 – Moon Lander – Your velocity is XX m/s. Enter burn time..? )

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Mid 90s.

Pipex
    Compuserve
    Freeserve
    AOL
    C&W
    NTL
    VM
    Talk Talk
    VM

Cougar

This thread makes me happy.

reluctantjumper

My mum was the local Amstrad agent back in the mid-late 80’s so we had their latest kit set up at home for her to demonstrate or take to be demonstrated. My dad also had one in his office up in town so mum used to send him shopping lists, occasionally me and my sister would send requests for sweets or a magazine! Must have been about 7 or 8 as dad moved office in 1990. We didn’t have proper home internet though until 1996, spent the first few days burning though the data limit looking at Mini forums/newsgroups/message board/whatever you want to call it. Think the last group and the forum it morphed into only died a few years ago so could be 20 years on the same forum!

Drac

About ‘97 when I also bought my house.  Used it for online gaming to thanks to BT Livewire, I built up some huge phone bills.

willard

’92 at uni for the internet, and the start of a mis-spent youth in technology. I do sometimes wonder what would have happened if I had actually done a degree related to computing, but that quickly passes.

Back then it were all NCSA Mosaic and Sparc IPXs. Them were the days

scotroutes

1994 would have been my first experience with a Web Browser at home as that was included in OS/2 Warp.

TiRed

Since before JANET was famous for being Jackson’s sister.

Newsgroups… still on the tandem@hobbbes listserv

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘interwebs old guard’ is closed to new replies.