Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Interviews – what to wear these days?
  • ThePinkster

I have 2 job interviews in the next couple of weeks but have no idea what the dress etiquette is these days, so am looking for advice.

For the last >20 years I’ve working in various IT roles but was made redundant last year so took the opportunity to take some time out & retrain. I now have 2 interviews for roles so far away from my old IT life I have no idea what I should wear to the interviews. Both are more ‘active’ customer facing roles involving some maintenance type work, mostly outside; one for the Post Office & one for Forest Holidays. Both interviews are face-to-face on site.

In my old life I would have turned up suited & booted, either with or without tie depending on that the role was and who for. I assume that would be a little OTT for both these jobs but how far should I dumb it down? Shirt & decent trousers? Polo shirt & my best pair of Craghopper troos? As you can see I have absolutely no idea.

Would does STW think would be suitable/acceptable?

Cheers all!

footflaps

Shirt & decent trousers?

That would be my choice, not too smart, not too relaxed.

ThePinkster

Cheers. I was edging that way but good to know someone else thought the same.

sing1etrack

Shirt & decent trousers?

This, but not some polyester slacks and a stiff collared shirt that make you look like a 14 year old at a wedding.

I’d be going with a pair of nice new dark blue straight-legged chinos (I know, i know, but chinos aren’t what they were), a cutaway collared checked shirt from somewhere like Charles Tyrwhitt and a pair of brown rugged but smart ankle boots.

ThePinkster

Got plenty of ‘office smart’ trousers to choose from cheers and will be wearing my finest polished Docs. Might go & buy myself a new shirt though.

Cheers

thols2

ThePinkster

So my normal dog walking gear then? 😉

PiknMix
    Free Member

Having just had this dilemma myself, I went with a suit.
    I was going to go with an open collar but my internet sleuthing showed me that the senior staff still wore ties, and I just so happened to have one in the colour of the company logo.

ThePinkster

@PiknMix, how did it go?

Marin
    Free Member

Suited and booted for my last interview with a building/maintenance firm. I was the only one at the interview who was and got the job.

dyna-ti

Make a lasting impression.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

you wear what the role demands . if i turned up on site in a suit to work as a joiner , i would be laughed off site , unless i was the site agent …….power dressing don’t cut it in manual trades …..however if your role is more inspection / report making , go smart casual , definitely not suit n tie , that’s just wrong for the role imo, good luck , it’s not a junk job is it ? 😉

ThePinkster

😂 @dyna-ti

ThePinkster

Cheers rudebwoy.

it’s not a junk job is it ?

No, nothing to do with Chinese boats. 😉

PiknMix
    Free Member

how did it go?

I start on Monday, wohoooooooo.

I was so nervous as I need to get out of my current job as it’s destroying me, but apparently I aced it.

Best of luck with your two.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Suited and booted for my last interview with a building/maintenance firm. I was the only one at the interview who was and got the job.

was it a concierge role ? 🤪

brads
    Free Member

Suit, shirt and tie and polished shoes. Every time.

If you feel out of place because you are the only one who has turned up like that, that is a good thing.

Making an effort gets noticed, regardless of how “casual” the company seems.

frankconway

pik’n’mix – well done,; hope you enjoy the job.
    Pinkster – brads has it; if, when you get there, you think you’re a bit too formal remove tie and unfasten top button on shirt.
    Alternatively, call them to ask about dress standard.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Same response as always, we don’t discriminate those who turn up for interviews in my teams who don’t wear a suit. We employ the best person, not the one who can put a suit on.

Our culture (big German corporate) is not one of suits anyway, if the candidate did their homework, they would see that & dress accordingly.

Me, if it was a requirement for a role to turn up to an interview in a suit, I would be politely declining & looking elsewhere. All it says to me is if a business is that stuck in the past when it comes to trivial matters like that, it’s going to be a hellish place to work.

footflaps

We employ the best person, not the one who can put a suit on.

Last person we recruited (via Zoom) never switched their camera on, so no one knew what he even looked like! He was the best candidate, so got the job.

I did wonder if he had some sort of disfigurement etc, but turns out perfectly normal.

ThePinkster

I start on Monday, wohoooooooo

Brilliant news, congratulations. Hope it all goes well for you

Know what you mean about the job destroying you, mine was very much the same and I was grateful for the chance of redundancy.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

As above its a bit of an unknown nowadays….

Ive rocked upto client sites and everyone including the senior execs are in t-shirts, and everyone is in suit and tie.

In this scenario, I think i would generally try to dress one level smarter than I think I would generally be working in….
    So, if I thought I would be working in jeans and a t, then I would go in chinos and a shirt for example.

For you without knowing more, I would go smart brown shoes, sharp chinos, sharp shirt with a tie in a pocket just in case I felt under dressed

Pieface

If external I’d always go with a suit, you’ve got nothing to lose, no-one will ever think you were too smart for an interview, but a square on the panel may think you couldn’t even be bothered to smarten up for it.

duckman

ThePinkster
    So my normal dogging gear then? 😉

FTFY

rudebwoy
    Free Member

what’s a sharp shirt , one with blades under the collar ?

matt_outandabout

If external I’d always go with a suit, you’ve got nothing to lose, no-one will ever think you were too smart for an interview, but a square on the panel may think you couldn’t even be bothered to smarten up for it.

I was once turned down for an outdoor learning job with a Scottish council as I was too smartly dressed.

I had arrived previous evening on my way back from a day of work for the informal show around – shirt sleeves and chino’s. I turned up to the interview next morning suited and booted.

They had no other negative feedback for me.

leffeboy

I’d go with the smartest that I still felt comfortable in.  If wearing a suit and tie makes you feel weird then that’s the wrong clothes.  You need to be relaxed but on the ball.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Smarter rather than less smart every time IMO (assuming it’s not for trades or manual jobs maybe). Not necessarily full suit and tie though.
    I’m with Pieface – I reckon you’re covering the bases that way.
    Don’t really agree with the ‘I wouldn’t want to work there anyway if they expected me to dress up for an interview’ view – don’t think things are always that black and white.
    FWIW I personally wouldn’t be bothered about how smartly a candidate was dressed. But plenty of other people might, even though that wouldn’t necessarily reflect your everyday working environment.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

It’s all about body language and being yourself , so whatever you wear , you need to be comfortable, other than that , don’t fart ( unless silent) and make sure you ask them a relevant question , this shows you’ve done you’re homework , and you’ve paid attention during interview. Good luck , ps as an interviewer ive never been impressed with over dressed people , it’s like a deflection shield ….

ElVino

Red trousers and a cravat or maybe that is only the wine industry

brads
    Free Member

I was once turned down for an outdoor learning job with a Scottish council as I was too smartly dressed.

I had arrived previous evening on my way back from a day of work for the informal show around – shirt sleeves and chino’s. I turned up to the interview next morning suited and booted.

They had no other negative feedback for me.

Without meaning to sound offensive, but I find it hard to believe anyone gave bad feedback for being too smartly dressed.
    Equally that someone never got a job solely for that same reason.

It would take a real **** on the interview panel to come out with that one.

If you are there to impress someone, then effort never goes wrong.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Red trousers and a cravat or maybe that is only the wine industr

😂😂

frankconway

rudebwoy – you’ve been an interviewer?
    F me, the world’s gone mad.
    That must have been an experience for the interviewees.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I love Tories union jack thong.

Yes to every question.

batfink
    Free Member

As ever, there’s some very strange advice on here.

I’ve been on both sides of the table in pretty much the most corporate global sector there is – and nobody has ever told me what to wear when either attending or conducting an interview. If we are interviewing on a specific “dress down” Friday we will inform the attendee of that, but I’ve never seen anyone actually tell an applicant what to wear for an interview. View it as an unspoken test of your judgement.

Even if an applicant was informed it was dress down friday (or a “casual” office), if an applicant turned up dressed casually (jeans, T-shirt), it would probably be perceived negatively by the majority of interviewers, either consciously or subconsciously.

My view is to default to a suit for an office job, unless you’ve got a specific reason not to (as mentioned above). For the role you describe, I would say that chinos/shirt/shoes and possibly some sort of jacket is a good call. The upper end of smart casual.

njee20
    Free Member

As ever, there’s some very strange advice on here.

…So you’ll just add to it with your own specific opinion?

As most have said, It depends entirely on the organisation and industry. I’ve turned up in a suit before and felt like a massive **** for being grossly overdressed. The whole smart-casual thing would appear to be a sensible middle ground.

BenjiM

I turned up to my last interview a couple of weeks ago, in my club kit (Here Come the Belgians), seems to have worked as I got the job! This approach hasn’t worked in the past however. It’s like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Good luck with the new job OP! 🙂

nickc

I wouldn’t expect folks to come in a tee and beach shorts, but how they dress should reflect what the job is and the expectations of the Industry. Ties in healthcare are probably rarer than most industries so I wouldn’t be bothered, and if a kid was coming for his first job out of college I wouldn’t mark them down if they didn’t have a suit on, I’d worry if I was interviewing a GP candidate and they rocked up in jeans and trainers, but I don’t think the partners would be overly worried about it frankly.

More interested in what they have to say, and how they come across.

Kryton57

Congrats piknmix!

I’m currently 1h away from a corperate interview sitting in a suit. Did the googling and couldnt spot a corporate photo with a tje in it so, no tie.

Nervous now, ill just run through my presentation one more time before its time to head on in, you never feel you’ve done enough do you…

rudebwoy
    Free Member

rudebwoy – you’ve been an interviewer?
    F me, the world’s gone mad.
    That must have been an experience for the interviewees.

Posted 20 hours ago</

yep , possibly was , had to do a number over the last few years , they were for community workers , based on the estate , doing the shortlisting was harder , but interviews aren’t so bad , same questions for everyone, you know who you doesn’t fit fairly quickly , but often can be tricky agreeing on the choice , it’s a panel of 3 or 4 , you have to score them in case they ask for feedback , all pretty mundane really .the zoom interviews have been surprisingly easier , and of course if you get an outstanding candidate, makes it simple !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Interviews – what to wear these days?’ is closed to new replies.