Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Interview tomorrow- give me question inspiration
  • rocco

I have an interview tomorrow for a NHS management post tomorrow and I have a couple questions lined up, but feel I could do with another one. So as either an interviewer or interviewee what has been the best questions you have asked or been asked?

On a less serious note what is the worst question you have heard in an interview?

LeeW

What’s the job, CCG or acute?

oldtennisshoes

Shirley the questions should be competency based – rather than just random?

bruneep

ask if they need any PPE, as you’ve got a mate who can supply…….well promise to supply but never will.

Or will I do hope I get a car parking space, whilst the shift workers won’t. Yes Grampian NHS I’m looking at you

wheelsonfire1

As a former equal opportunities observer (do they still feature?), I always thought one of the key questions from the panel was “what can you bring to this role?” Or “what are your best qualities?”. Also a good question from you “if I’m successful, what are my opportunities for further career development and training”? I.e. how can I get where you are. Even if you don’t want to, the interviewers like to think that you want to be where they are, even if you don’t! Or, join the Masons, if you’re male?

bearnecessities

“Do you have anything you’d like to ask us?”

NHS management post

“As I appear to be applying for the most vilified job title in the country, if I’m successful, what do I tell people I do for a living?”

rocco

LeeW

What’s the job, CCG or acute

It’s managing one of the localities within my current employer who has the community contract. Stepping up from a part management/part clinical into a pure management role.

I like the PPE question, maybe I’ll get a nice payrise out of it!

Drac

Will I have to reapply for my job every 5 years?

rocco

Funny you should say that Drac. My current role is just about to go through consultation. “No risk of job loss/de-banding” apparently but I’m not so sure about that

jeffl

When I’ve been interviewing candidates one of them asked what I liked and disliked about working there. But if you’re already working for the organisation that may not be that useful.

fadda

I liked it when a candidate asked me “what do you like about working here, and what would you change”.

Made me think, actually, as I wanted to be honest, but didn’t want to slag the place off to a prospective new employee!

dannybgoode

Describe yourself in 4 words

Bad at maths…

MartynS

You should’ve done your research to the point you have no questions at an interview. If/when they ask do you have questions that’s the point you re-enforce why you are the best for the role and what qualities you will bring.
    Questions like “what are my career prospects” can wait until offer.
    Asking questions at interview stage shows a total lack of preparedness.

Drac

Funny you should say that Drac. My current role is just about to go through consultation. “No risk of job loss/de-banding” apparently but I’m not so sure about that

Mine too. With minimal info of how it will work, what the pay band is, where’s they’ll be located and what the shifts will be. Still it’s a 30 day consultation so I’m sure it’ll be sorted. 🤦🏻‍♂️

mrb123
    Free Member

Daddy or chips?

funkmasterp

davros
    stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Hi. Asking questions at interview is VERY important. It shows interest, thought, and if done correctly shows you are keen on the job but want to ensure that its right for you and also allows you to challenge/go over anything you were not sure about. Always ask questions, even of just clarifying parts of the job.

Best question imo is “do you have any concerns about me” and second is “anything you wanted me to cover in the interview which I didn’t or go over again?”

Interviews are stressful on both sides, especially in a public sector setting where challenges are more likely to come and HR more likely to be involved…

Best questions I have been asked are “Do you think you are lucky?” and “How patient are you?”

Both threw me completely and made me think…

funkmasterp

Best questions I have been asked are “Do you think you are lucky?”

Was this whilst being arrested by Clint Eastwood? Only asking as it’s happened to me twice now!

spacecadett
    Free Member

Like to ask if I have convinced the interviewer of my ability to succeed in the role and then address any feedback from the answer.

dyna-ti

‘I can save you 30 million a year, while increasing management pay scales’

Jobs yours mate, start on Monday.

IA

Best question imo is “do you have any concerns about me” and second is “anything you wanted me to cover in the interview which I didn’t or go over again?”

This.

But if you want another suggestion, “What made the previous person successful in the role?”

Less relevant if you already work there, but asking for examples of some unwritten rules is always good.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If you could only shag one of the corrs….. Mebbe not

bearnecessities

“What made the previous person successful in the role?”

Their willingness to sacrifice.

Hence, vacancy.

Cougar

If you could only shag one of the corrs

If I could **** one of the Corrs it’d be Jim, with a cricket bat. Pro-lifer, 9/11 denier and general conspiracy theorist, had a kid with a model who looks disturbingly similar to his sisters. Rates a good solid 7 on my Shitbagometer.

TiRed

I interviewed someone today by Teams remotely. He had to tend to his two year old midway who’s he is potty training as a single parent. I thought that shows impressive flexibility and unflappable skills. I asked how the potty training was going?

kelron
    Free Member

You should’ve done your research to the point you have no questions at an interview. If/when they ask do you have questions that’s the point you re-enforce why you are the best for the role and what qualities you will bring.

Questions like “what are my career prospects” can wait until offer.

Asking questions at interview stage shows a total lack of preparedness.

I hope you don’t interview people! If you’re planning to commit a large chunk of your time to working for someone it’s reasonable and sensible to talk to them and ask questions first.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

I would be asking what the company could do for you ( i know its NHS, but adapt). If you are already in work, I have never stressed over an interview. You have no real idea who or what theyre after, the job might already be a done deal and the bosses niece has it, and they are just interviewing to make it look less suspicious. This has happened to me in the past, as when I challenged them on my rebuttal, it was evident they hadnt even read my qualifications or experience, just interviewing to follow procedure.
    Also, look at who is interviewing you, is it strictly some HR rep, or is your direct future boss present? You re going to be spending a lot of time dealing with them, so you are interviewing them for the role as your boss also.You might not have any confidence in them post- interview.
    I would be asking for what promotion routes are available, any perks, holiday entitlement WHEN YOU WANT, etc. You have no control over whether they like you or not, so just be honest and open. If you do well, they will be seeing t he real you soon enough, and if it goes bad, oh well, there are always other roles.
    Having said all this, this is advise given having made mistakes in the past. If I had my chance again I would treat the interviews as more of me interviewing them, than me sitting there thinking of the right thing to say to appease them. The best job I ever had was as a eesult of having an awkward argument with the interviewer. You never know what theyre looking for.

LAT

my wife asked this question recently,

“what would you like to know about that would make you comfortable making me your next [insert job role]”

she got the job.

that said, she did do more preparation for the interview than i’ve done for some exams, so it could have been everything else she said b

footflaps

If someone didn’t ask any questions I’d be a bit concerned, they would be unlikely to get a second interview.

franksinatra

On a less serious note what is the worst question you have heard in an interview?

I was asked “As an English person do you think it is possible to be a credible Account Manager in Scotland?”

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I was asked “As an English person do you think it is possible to be a credible Account Manager in Scotland?”

The Scots sales/ account managers I worked with had a very particular view on this

IdleJon

Was this whilst being arrested by Clint Eastwood? Only asking as it’s happened to me twice now!

You were arrested TWICE by Dirty Harry Callaghan? You are one lucky punk. Or can you count?

ranolddd
    Free Member

Keep us updated Rocco. How it passed?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Interview tomorrow- give me question inspiration’ is closed to new replies.