Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Interview dress code
  • nicko74

I have a job interview next week and can’t decide on appropriate attire. I currently work in media, so jeans and shirt are the order of the day; when I have to smarten it up (client presentations, industry conferences etc) I’ll go to jacket and jeans.

I’m interviewing at a PR firm, and it’s a long ol’ journey to get there (c5hrs), so I’m leaning towards jacket and jeans, just to avoid wearing a sweaty crumpled suit. But the OH is saying that’s unacceptable.

What’s the consensus?

toby1

If in doubt surely better to be over presented than under?

chambord
    Free Member

Definitely suit. Hang your jacket up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Jacket and jeans

* shudders *

z1ppy

Suit, doesn’t matter what you wear during work hours IMO.

Had an interview, where the agency specifically told the interviewee’s (group call) that a suit ‘had’ to be worn.. I was a confused that it had to be said.

PS though you don’t have to wear it on the way there if your driving… though don’t do what my brother did & take the jacket/shirt and forget the trousers.. though he did get the job, even with ripped dirty jeans.

chambord
    Free Member

Jacket and jeans

Double denim?

legend
    Free Member

Double denim ftw

Lolz, sniped by 24 seconds!

rickmeister

Suit. Once you get through the door you will know what to dress down to.

Can you go in mufti and change just before the interview to save the crumpled sweaty suit scenario ?

scaredypants

Double denim ?
    For losers !

midlifecrashes

Suit. Travel in whatever’s comfy, have a McCoffee, McShit and McChange near the venue.

I currently work in media…it’s a long ol’ journey to get there (c5hrs)

Salford? You got time to grow an Artisan beard?

pondo

Suit. Once you get through the door you will know what to dress down to.

That. I start a new job a week on Monday, wore a suit for the interviews and everyone I saw was smart casual, but I’m still going to wear a suit on day one, until I know the lay of the land.

spacemonkey

<swoon>

“I have Nicko74 in reception for you, sir. I’ll send him right up.”

</swoon>

eckinspain
    Free Member

most blokes in media look like tramps 😉 but definitely a suit for the interview.
    Once you get the job you can check out the identikit jeans and white shirt uniform that everyone wears.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Jacket and jeans

Planning a short interview then?

nicko74

hahaaa! Nice, thanks everyone.

Point taken, I’ll dig out the suit and see if I can still get the zip up the trousers.

And for the jacket and jeans haters, I used to be adamant that I would *never* wear any combination thereof. Unfortunately in internet-based stuff, you get weird looks turning up in a suit to meetings, so I had to just accept it. The self-loathing only occasionally surfaces though, so that’s good

legend
    Free Member

Nice try, this entire forum is made up of IT bods.

BillMC

Suit, cotton shirt, silk tie plus a serious pair of English shoes. Rubber shoes on a suit make you look like a pox doctor’s clerk.

buck53

I’ve been told that it’s best to turn up to an interview ‘one step up’ from what ever the office dress code is.

You could always try what I’ve just been told is called ‘business casual’, essentially a suit with shirt but no tie, apparently the Americans are big on this.

66deg
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

You are Mr Jobs, and I claim my £5. 😉

obadiah
    Free Member

If your dig out doesn’t “suit you Sir” you could try below – all the best whatever you choose to wear!
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ot-anyone-interested-in-a-suit-or-two

mikertroid
    Free Member

Better to be too smart than not smart enough.

Top hat and tails.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Always a smart suit for an interview. White or light blue shirt too. Also pick tie colour carefully. I’d go for royal blue or purple – as they are generally perceived as giving the impression of loyalty and trust. Avoid power colours like red and orange.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Avoid power colours like red and orange.

Also, your moonstone this month is topaz and you are likely to have an encounter that leads to a thing.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Interview dress code’ is closed to new replies.