Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Interval training
  • theteaboy
    Free Member

ok, in competition with the Zone 2 training thread, I’m planning to actually train properly in 2012.

Time is very tight, and I’m sold on intervals, so my plan is something like this:

M 60mins
    T 4x5mins 2mins recovery
    W 60mins
    T 2 x 20mins, 5min recovery
    F rest
    S 60mins OR 15x1min 1min recovery.
    S Long

I’m planning to do this more or less throughout the year, but my question is what happens as I get fitter? Should I be doing more reps at the same speed, increasing rep speed, reducing recovery, or something else completely?

And I thought riding a bike was easy…

phil.w
    Free Member

There doesn’t seem to be much structure to your sessions. What is the goal of each session?

For example, why 15x1min 1min recovery

EDIT: I have a load of interval sets that are good for short sessions and each has an explanation of what area of your cycling the workout will improve.

If you want them send me an email (in profile) and I’ll send them on. (off home now so won’t be able to send them till Monday)

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member
    kcr
    Free Member

Based on your proposed timing, it might be worth looking at the Chris Carmichael Time Crunched Cyclist book.
    This is aimed at maxmising the training benefit for people with limited training time. It is very intense, but will give you a structure, with progressive loading as you work through the programme.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Thanks

Phil – the 15*1 is based on this HIIT study (though recovery is 75s): http://jp.physoc.org/content/early/2010/01/20/jphysiol.2009.181743.abstract

2*20 is long intervals; 4*5m, to be honest, I made up as I do it when running and it’s my favourite session!

Sufferfest sounds brutal but I don’t have a turbo, so I’m trying to find quiet roads to do all this on!

theteaboy
    Free Member

Thanks kcr – I’ve heard good things about that but don’t have a hrm. Can I do it without, or do people think that a hrm is now an essential bit of kit?!

mrblobby
    Free Member

+1 for the TCC book. The sessions can be hard. It also does warn that you’ll be able to perform at the level you’ve built up to only a few weeks then need to take a break. Found this to be true and felt quite burnt out at the end of it. Did help me put in some good performances though.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

your intervals need a goal, intervals are mostly used to increase sprint ability, anaerobic. I would say you’ve mixed them up to much and you should stick to improving one aspect of the sprint at a time, the initial burst or the strength of a couple of minutes sprint. Do six week blocks of sprint intervals with a specific goal. A heart monitor will help as it will more accurately measure how hard you are going… once you’ve done it for a little while, a few months, you should know and recognise the pain levels and maybe wont need one, but initially it would help.

EDIT: and take a week off between the 6 week training bocks, it will tire you out.

njee20
    Free Member

Power is even better (and getting cheaper) if you were really serious, far easier to measure performance gains and make the most of little time. Was thinking of selling my PowerTap wheel if that’s of any interest.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yup, good point, the TCC book’s intervals are all based around power, so would need some way to measure that.

Njee20, what model power tap and how much?

njee20
    Free Member

2010 PowerTap Pro, on black Open Pro handbuilt with black DT Competitions, new bearings and batteries, dunno what it’s worth, open to offers!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is that an ant+ compatible one? I think the pro isn’t, which is a shame.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes it is, wireless and ANT+, I use it with an Edge 705 (which I’d also sell if you’ve not got one…). It’s also got cadence, and it’s far lighter than the Elite, it’s the same as the SL, but without the carbon ‘inlay’.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds interesting. Hiring an SL at the moment that I use with my 500. Is it the shimano or campag one?

njee20
    Free Member

YGM!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Interval training’ is closed to new replies.