• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Del.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Internet security software for home use
  • cinnamon_girl

A q for the oh so knowledgeable and helpful IT peeps, if you would be so kind. 🙂

Have recently installed Kaspersky and, oh my word, my PC has almost ground to a halt. Is it one of those bloaty things?

Thanks!

cp

Are you on mac or windows pc? Which version of OSX/Windows?

cinnamon_girl

cp – thanks, Windows Vista but will be upgrading to 10.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    allthegear
    Free Member

Is it still called Windows Defender? The Microsoft one that is free? Use that. Nothing else. Spend any money you save on learning more about tech so you avoid situations where you’re likely to pick something up.

Your greatest defence against malware is you.

Rachel

P-Jay
    Free Member

Win10 has defender built into it which is very light on resources, but isn’t the most secure solution.

If you think you need very good security and don’t want a massive drain on the PC have a look at the ESET home products, they’re very good.

cp

If you’re going to upgrade to Win10, then don’t bother with extra AV/firewall, just use Windows built in stuff.

cinnamon_girl

Rachel – I did research before buying and Kaspersky came out better than Windows MSE. Am a luddite unfortunately. 😳

dirtydog
    Free Member

MSE, Microsoft security essentials, for Windows 10 you don’t need anything, comes with it’s own and none are 100% effective.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks all. I download a lot of text so just trying to be as protected as one can be.

jimwah
    Free Member

Bitdefender AV works well for me, I avoid the all-singing ‘Security Suites’ as they do tend to kill performance, £7 for a Bitdefender license key off eBay.

Also would recommend a fresh install of Windows 10 (you can download the media/DVDs), rather than a system upgrade.

budgierider67

A new study finds that installing security software can actually reduce your level of protection;

http://www.publicnow.com/view/A12CFFBC7975F939E784D825962B16E94869224D?2016-05-04-15:30:48+01:00-xxx3865

nickc

I think that some anti malware software don’t play nicely along with already installed stuff.

Mind you I use a chromebook, so what would I know…

mattyfez

A lot of them have various ‘active scanners’ running in the background constantly which casuses performance issues, really you only want it to spring into life when you do something like download a file/document, and then scan it.

scotroutes

You’d think this had never been covered in here before…

Uninstall Kaspersky, upgrade to Win 10, let the inbuilt AV do its thing and run the free version of Malwarebytes occasionally (quarterly ought to be enough)

Del

make sure you get rid of kaspersky before installing replacement or, if going to 10, just uninstall it after you’ve done that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Internet security software for home use’ is closed to new replies.