Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Internet Radio advice needed.
  • PJay
    Free Member

My wife is a passionate radio listener and we have a well used Revo Domino DAB/Internet radio in the house.

Unfortunately the BBC mucked about with the codec used for their On Demand (Radio IPlayer) service so the Domino no longer works with this service. As I understand it the Domino won’t be updated (or just isn’t able) to work with the Beeb’s new On Demand service so we need a new model. There’s nothing on Revo’s product pages that I can see that advise whether their current models will now work with BBC On Demand (I’m waiting to hear back from tech. support).

So, I’m looking for recommendations for combination Dab/Internet radios that’ll work with BBC Radio IPlayer. Audiophile sound quality isn’t important and I’d need to keep the cost to £100 (the Revo Pixis RX is affordable); streaming from NAS would be nice (the Domino already does this) and Bluetooth streaming a non-essential, but useful, bonus. If any are available Ethernet cable connection would be great (wi-fi’s generally fine but occasionally temperamental.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

You just need a speaker for your smartphone.

Far more versatile and you’ll never have the firmware issue you encountered with that Domino thing.

itsallgood

We use amazon dot + small stereo in kitchen. Everything streams via TuneIn.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dmck16
    Free Member

TuneIn radio app (or BBC iPlayer Radio app) via your smartphone via a set of speakers.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Radio app on your phone and Bluetooth speaker of your choice.

I just use a Mighty Sound Mug that cost £5

sirromj

Today found links from beebotron.org useful for playing bbc radio on raspberry pi vi MPD.

somafunk

I bought an amazon dot to use with my tivoli model one through the aux in and it’s great, I walk into the kitchen and ask for 6 music, R4 , podcasts, songs etc. Before this I used my old iphone4s with a unresponsive cracked screen but it was a faff to stand there and prod with bleary eyes when all I wanted was my morning espresso.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Smart phone options about as handy as shitting your pants.

Turns a on ebutton operation into find phone . Unlock it find app select station plug it into speakers turn speakers on …..

Where as with a dedicated unit you get up in morning give the on button a prod job done.

My phone’s ok in a pinch but I much prefer my radios.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I have a Google Home (imported from USA) and Chromecasts connected to various devices (Hifi etc), I just say “Hey Google play BBC Radio 4 to xxx” and it broacasts to the device via wifi. I also have groups setup so I can broadcast the multiple devices at the same time.

winston
    Free Member

Roberts Stream 93i looks good – I am thinking of getting one so don’t have first hand knowledge but reviews and feature set all look positive and it definitely now works with BBC as well as Spotify

Smart phones are rubbish for listening to radio in the kitchen – never have enough battery, nowhere to put them, get water on the screen, bluetooth connection is low quality audio etc etc. Much prefer a proper radiogram!

nuke

Bluetooth speaker & smartphone is really the simplest. We also have an Echo Dot which we connect via aux to our old Roberts radio and that works very well

timber

Don’t know if the on-demand part of BBC works on any of the internet radios now, licencing stuff or something? No longer an option on any of our Internet radios (Monitor Audio, Sondstrom and Yamaha).
    Fully get why you wouldn’t want to Bluetooth from a device when it used to be a couple of push buttons. Archers Omnibus used to be a preset on the radio along with Giles Peterson and would play the latest edition.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

bluetooth connection is low quality audio

In any digital radio/streaming solution, I don’t think the Bluetooth will be the audio weak link 😉

flap_jack
    Free Member

You just need a speaker for your smartphone.

Far more versatile and you’ll never have the firmware issue

Sadly not true – iplayer just stopped working on iphone 4 for same reason. I’ve got a dedicated iphone 4 dock speaker thing that I’ve been using as an internet radio for years now rendered obsolete 😯

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Internet Radio advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.