Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Internet providers and BT infrastructure
  • toby1

I have a flakey BT connection, regular drop outs that self heal but are annoying.

Having just waited in all morning for an engineer to be told there was an error in booking it and no one will be coming I’m done with them. However, if the problem is between the cabinet and the house it’ll still be a problem if I move to another provider won’t it?

Virgin isnt an option and the village didn’t warrant investing in as there aren’t enough people.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

My low speed fibre BB contract with Plusnet is coming to an end after 18 months, I’m looking for unlimited data mobile SIM deals with some talk time and texts… To ditch landline BB and landline phone altogether.

seosamh77
    Free Member

n0b0dy0ftheg0at

My low speed fibre BB contract with Plusnet, I’m looking for unlimited data mobile SIM deals with some talk time and texts

My virgin was off for the last week, it was a brutal experience!

I feel for you all in broadband poverty! 😆

Just note that the unlimited deals are unlikely to be unlimited. I used a giffgaff unlimited one while my bb was off, they started limiting speeds severely and sending texts saying you are using too much after using 40gb.

Mobile unlimited isn’t something I could live with.

Speeds were ok 15 up 15 down mind before limiting, which is ok. It was a relief to get back 110 down 10 up though!

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Just note that the unlimited deals are unlikely to be unlimited. I used a giffgaff unlimited one while my bb was off, they started limiting speeds severely and sending texts saying you are using too much after using 40gb.

Fair usage limits on EE and (I think) Vodafone unlimited data plans are 1TB. Even then the policy only states that they reserve the right to move you to a business plan. In actuality, there are many comments online of people breaching the 1TB on regular occasions without any comeback.

I’m looking into 4G as well as with a family of 4 consisting of 2 Fortnite/Minecraft obsessed kids and a partly work from home spouse (with seemingly endless hours of conference video calling!) my FTTC line at 6Mbps down and 384kbps up isn’t really cutting it in any shape or form anymore and the chances of FTTP are non-existant in the foreseeable future. (We could get FTTP through community broadband scheme from BT but at a cost >£60k)

joeegg
    Free Member

We ditched our landline after years of excuses from Openreach.”Oh,its rained and the box is flooded “.”A farmers driven over your cable “.Eventually an engineer admitted that we had a rotten underground cable that Openreach will never spend money on to replace.Our neighbours broadband works fine so we give them a few quid every month to use the connection.

pirahna
    Free Member

Living in the middle on nowhere (Hertfordshire) I have no mobile signal and an Internet connection that drops several times a day. I have to divert my mobile to the home phone, if I forget it’s a 5 minute walk to get a signal, 10 minutes for 4g. I’ve got BT Superfast Broadband that delivers a fantastic 12mbps. The broadband is on years freebie upgrade, when it’s up I’ll go back to ADSL, almost as fast and cheaper.

And now a history lesson. Back in the 80’s BT had two factories producing fibre cable and the associated hardware. The plan was to replace all the copper on the phone network with fibre, Britain was, at the time, the World leader in fibre technology. Thatcher ruled it uncompetitive and put a stop to it, the factories were closed and the technology sold to the Japanese. So here we are in the dark ages thanks to Thatcher and the Tories.

nixie

@toby1 in a lot of instances going with a different provider will be using the same infrastructure that you currently are. I think where a third party has kit installed that’s at the exchange rather than any further down stream so if the cabling is the issue then it’ll make little difference. If there is no virgin then it’s 4g or one of the micro fibre schemes that some villages have (would take a lot of work to get that sorted).

benpinnick

Have you checked to see if you can get fibre to the home? But of a faff to get it in but if you can it’s a game changer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Internet providers and BT infrastructure’ is closed to new replies.