Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Internet privacy?
  • nick1962
    Free Member

My wife has been looking on Amazon for Xmas gifts for the kids. She’s not on Facebook but I am and all the things she’s been looking at are coming up as ads on my FB feed.Now I’m assuming this is some sort of targeted advertising based on our shared IP address. No big deal for kids presents but if she was looking for a surprise Santa Cruz or Alps trip for me then it wouldn’t be a surprise.Also if I start to get ads on FB for dating sites coming up should i be worried? 🙂 Is this breaching privacy legislation or have either of us opted in to something on our respective sites?

fossy

Using the same PC – usually cookies within the browser.

nick1962
    Free Member

No,I’m on my laptop and she’s on her laptop or tablet.

Drac

That’s why some sites value your privacy.

nick1962
    Free Member

🙂

ajaj
    Free Member

Ever logged in from each others’ machines?

Are these Amazon adverts or third parties?

You could try asking Amazon. I did, they said they’d investigate and then closed the ticket after six months having failed to explain it.

If you want to get aggressive, a subject access request to both Amazon and Facebook should give you the answer, but you’ll have to fight for it and the ICO won’t help.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did you get a better price on any of the presents?

kayak23

You could use it to your advantage the other way. Anything you want?

bikebouy
    Free Member

She’s cloned You..

HTHs

iancity1
    Free Member

Had exactly the same thing. Me on PC browsing, then the following night wife’s FB stated giving recommendations for the things I had been looking at. We have no linked/joined accounts whatsoever, I am not on FB. Can only presume it was the IP address …

ajaj
    Free Member

Done a bit of reading. The Facebook Ad engine does indeed allow targeting by IP address. Which is just one more item on the long list of iffy Facebook activities.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Don’t mean to sound smug but……….. I don’t get any of these problems including on this site 😀

Any adverts I do get are unrelated to my searches and nothing cross relates between sites or devices. Content providers hate me and are actively trying to make this kind of browsing more difficult!

molgrips
    Free Member

Although if my wife searches for bike stuff for gifts for me the resulting ads will be lost in all the ads generated by my own searches for bike stuff, so I’ll be none the wiser 🙂

Any adverts I do get are unrelated to my searches

I quite regularly get good deals and special offers on stuff I might actually buy pointed out to me.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I quite regularly get good deals and special offers on stuff I might actually buy pointed out to me.

Works for you then! I prefer to choose when and where rather than being told my privacy matters when it clearly doesn’t.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Internet privacy?’ is closed to new replies.