Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Internet music experts
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

Are there any good free music down load sites site out there please?

sc-xc
    Three_Fish
    Free Member

Why don’t you want to pay for music?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    john_drummer
    Free Member

you can have one of our songs for free – “Is There Anybody Left”.

Go to http://www.reverbnation.com/chasingglass and set it going on the player, then hover the mouse over the player.

timc
    Free Member

john drummer, do you have a sound cloud / mix cloud?

john_drummer
    Free Member

not sure. I did for my last band, but not sure about Chasing Glass. hang on…

john_drummer
    Free Member

nope, i didn’t think so

donsimon
    Free Member

Could it be because the OP agrees with musical artists like Robbie Williams who think that the artists have enough money and it’s the music companies that are screwing the public, could it be this?

CountZero

Three_Fish – Member

If he can get free music legitimately, then why not? I have loads of ebooks that I got for free, most on the Kindle app. I get regular updates showing the latest free books. Why shouldn’t I take advantage of it?

john_drummer
    Free Member

who think that the artists have enough money and it’s the music companies that are screwing the public

maybe, for the handful of artists like Robbie Williams. But for every Robbie Williams, there are thousands of artists in every country – possibly even in every town – who have never made a penny out of music. Some of them deservedly so 😉

Personally, I’m of the opinion that if someone is willing to pay for my music, that’s great. If not, well they can have one or two for free – like a supermarket “loss leader”. For me, it’s a bonus, I have a career in the real world.

I would love to make a decent living from music, but I’m old enough & ugly enough to know that it’s not going to happen

donsimon
    Free Member

But for every Robbie Williams, there are thousands of artists in every country – possibly even in every town – who have never made a penny out of music. Some of them deservedly so

I won’t shed a tear if I never have to listen to having crap dressed up as being the latest and greatest thing.
    A few will be the Robbies and quite a few will be able to make a living.
    I don’t see anything wrong with that.
    Your level of disagreement will depend on how honestly you can desribe yourself… 😛

I would love to make a decent living from music, but I’m old enough & ugly enough to know that it’s not going to happen

No reason why not, if you’re prepared to work and have the talent and can offer a product at a price people are prepared to pay. Supply and demand, innit?
    How many more units would the record companies sell if they dropped the price? And how would that affect their overall profit? 😀

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Could it be because the OP agrees with musical artists like Robbie Williams who think that the artists have enough money and it’s the music companies that are screwing the public, could it be this?

Possibly. Possibly not. I don’t know; that’s why I’m asking the question.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I won’t shed a tear if I never have to listen to having crap dressed up as being the latest and greatest thing.

I couldn’t agree more. Beady Eye, are you listening? 😉

timc
    Free Member

don simon – Member

back this statement up with an example of how the music companies are screwing the public??

Infact, elaborate & explain how music companies are screwing the public & Robbie Williams isn’t??

Lets be honest, its a feeble attempt to justify steeling music, just admit it, your a petty thief, thats the top & bottom of it…

donsimon
    Free Member

back this statement up with an example of how the music companies are screwing the public??

Could I refer you to this for starters?

Lets be honest, its a feeble attempt to justify steeling music, just admit it, your a petty thief, thats the top & bottom of it…

You assume I’m a thief, I can see you’re an idiot. 🙄

john_drummer
    Free Member

DS you appear to have linked back to this very thread – are you sure?

timc
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    You assume I’m a thief, I can see you’re an idiot

You have openly admitted downloaded music for free from illegal sites previously, suddenly all shy about it when your confronted for being a thief?

what makes me an idiot? your the one who messed up a link after all? 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

100% sure, if the record companies didn’t charge so much, I guess the OP wouldn’t be looking for free downloads. 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

You have openly admitted downloaded music for free from illegal sites previously, suddenly all shy about it when your confronted for being a thief?

Where?

timc
    Free Member

charge so much? £0.59 / £0.79p / £0.99p for a single? presume you think it should be £0.10p 🙄

lets cut to the chase, you don’t actually know anything about the music industry do you?

donsimon
    Free Member

lets cut to the chase, you don’t actually know anything about the music industry do you?

I know enough. And I also know huge amounts about the customer industry.
    Tell me as you feel the need to protect you job, and I get the feeling you’re not a musician, what value does the music industry add to the whole art?

john_drummer
    Free Member

TBH the DIY route is so easy these days, the only reason you need a record company is to do the marketing for you.

I’ve been in bands on & off for 30 years now – it’s a damn site easier to get your music onto a “record” now than it was when I started. No, the hard work now is with the “selling” of the record, and for that, the major labels still have a place. IMVHO

timc
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    Supply and demand, innit?

like supply a record to millions of people to enjoy & receive payment, what a crazy notion

don simon – Member
    How many more units would the record companies sell if they dropped the price? And how would that affect their overall profit

Any evidence to suggest this?

donsimon
    Free Member

the only reason you need a record company is to do the marketing for you.

And probably you don’t even need them for that if you’re good enough. If you’re savvy enough with the internet you’ll get listened too and we, the listeners, will get better quality music which more people, I guess, will be prepared to pay for. A win/win situation I think.

Any evidence to suggest this?

Supply and demand? Ah but you’ve already read that, haven’t you?

timc
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member
    TBH the DIY route is so easy these days, the only reason you need a record company is to do the marketing for you.

putting a record on sale is one thing, it selling is very different

cynic-al
    Free Member

What’s the “customer industry”?

I was thinking the other day, when I was 13 or so (30 years ago) albums were maybe £6? They’re what £8 these days? What’s inflation over that time?

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ll answer that one don. In plenty of instances the record companies are a leech, feeding off peoples ability. But I can think of plenty of record labels who are a bastion of quality. People like warp, mute, domino etc. etc These people have nurtured the careers of hundreds of great bands and brought them to a much wider audience. That definitely has value in my eyes.

timc
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    And probably you don’t even need them for that if you’re good enough. If you’re savvy enough with the internet you’ll get listened too and we, the listeners, will get better quality music which more people, I guess, will be prepared to pay for. A win/win situation I think.

your funny, you clearly don’t know enough

timc
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    I’ll answer that one don. In plenty of instances the record companies are a leech, feeding off peoples ability.

Rich mate, your going to have to elaborate with some examples here…

john_drummer
    Free Member

And probably you don’t even need them for that if you’re good enough.

and you have a big enough budget and some friends who know the right people…

putting a record on sale is one thing, it selling is very different

indeed it is. I give you my previous band, The Wick Effect,for example.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go/dp/B003XD35OY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1322259621&sr=8-12 and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Numb/dp/B0035YL07K/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1322259621&sr=8-16

Making the records for sale/download was relatively easy & painless; between the 6 songs we spent less than £1000 on studio time at some pretty top notch studios. But with no marketing budget, nobody knows they’re available

dmjb4
    Free Member

I’m interested in this as well. Last time I downloaded anything I used WinMX. I’m not sure if it is still up and running. Is there still a good peer2peer music download network? I’m not sure if the single song approach still works, as usually torrent sites cover whole albums. A shame, as sometimes you just want one song.

Any recommendations on peer2peer sites with the depth of Napster/WinMX at their peak would be useful.

timc
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    Supply and demand? Ah but you’ve already read that, haven’t you?

if i was to tell you over the last 24 months singles have in general gone up in price & so have sales, what would you then tell me…

donsimon
    Free Member

your funny, you clearly don’t know enough

Is that it? Insults and hot air? You can’t defend the postion with a clear example of adding value.

But I can think of plenty of record labels who are a bastion of quality. People like warp, mute, domino etc. etc These people have nurtured the careers of hundreds of great bands and brought them to a much wider audience. That definitely has value in my eyes.

I’d tend to agree with that.

if i was to tell you over the last 24 months singles have in general gone up in price & so have sales, what would you then tell me…

It would tell me that Bit Torrent sites have had their marketing budgets capped, that the record companies are using their immense wealth and legal servants to close down the free market and bleed the public dry. As I said it’s the record companies screwing folks and not the artists, it’s the record companies that are demanding the anti theft software and therefore pushing the prices up. Supply and demand would tell me that as demand increases you should be able to decrease the prices, except if you’re greedy f*****s milñking the public. And your reaction here tells me it’s the record companies who have the attitude problem as the musician here seems quite cool you on the other hand… 😆

RichPenny
    Free Member

Don, would you rather see fledgeling musicians spend their time on marketing or on their music ?

timc
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member
    Making the records for sale/download was relatively easy & painless; between the 6 songs we spent less than £1000 on studio time at some pretty top notch studios. But with no marketing budget, nobody knows they’re available

And here is where you all fall down, you do not need a magic pot of cash to have a successful record, although i understand your situation

flap_jack
    Free Member

Buy from Hospital. Excellent value for top stuff. Don’t tell me you can’t afford £5 for about 30 tracks…

john_drummer
    Free Member

or, god forbid, auditioning for X-Factor 😯

john_drummer
    Free Member

And here is where you all fall down, you do not need a magic pot of cash to have a successful record

no you need talent, a good song, possibly most important of all, a market for that song, and also some cash to pay to advertise it.

Face it, it could be Bohemian Rhapsody*, but if you don’t spend any money on advertising, or god forbid, any time & effort slogging up & down the motorways in the back of a knackered old transit, playing it night after night after night to three men and a dog, nobody’s going to know about it, are they?

* other examples are available

timc
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    You can’t defend the postion with a clear example of adding value.

It wasn’t an insult, it was an observation from your nonsense comments, your making it up as you go along based on your opinion, not the facts of the industry, see above about price increase & sale increase as a prime example.

an example of adding value, are you for real, look at all the Major artists, all on record labels, says it all, you really don’t know anything, but lets pretend you do & that justifies you being a petty thief…

donsimon
    Free Member

Don, would you rather see fledgeling musicians spend their time on marketing or on their music ?

Not necessarily, but treat it like any other business, so why not? If the record company is simply a marketing tool, then they fall into the same category as the shopping channels or those crappy catalogues (not all of them, just the pushers of crap), who have no place in the marketing world. There is nothing wrong in a band making enough money to pay for the services of a marketing company, but now there are too many people looking to make money which pusher the price up. Restrict the supply and you’ve got opportunity to abuse the customer.

that justifies you being a petty thief…

There you go again.
    Have you read what I’ve posted.
    Control supply.
    And you can then fix the price even if demand goes up. You know, just like the petrol companies? Another value adding company.
    There’s only one thief here, and that’s why I get my music from where I get my music. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Internet music experts’ is closed to new replies.