Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Internet cuts out when using landline phone
  • lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Always lose wifi connection for a couple of minutes when we start using the landline phone and also lose wifi when we end the call for a couple of minutes which is very frustrating. Any idea what causes this?

cerrado-tu-ruido

Similar problem here, internet disconnects when the landline rings, any help will greatly appreciated.

Cougar

internet disconnects when the landline rings

Faulty microfilter. Or you’re posting from the 1990s. 😁

Always lose wifi connection for a couple of minutes when we start using the landline phone and also lose wifi when we end the call for a couple of minutes which is very frustrating. Any idea what causes this?

Is it actually the Wi-Fi, or is it the same problem (and solution) as the second poster? A couple of minutes could suggest the router reconnecting.

If it is the Wi-Fi and the WAN connection itself stays up (ie, wired connections still work) then I’d be changing Wi-Fi channels and then looking at trying a different phone. I’m assuming a DECT (cordless) phone, yes?

martinhutch

Just like the good old days.:)

Channel change via the router, as suggested above, and make sure the base station for the cordless phone is as far away from the router itself as possible.

franksinatra

Landline phone? How quaint.

chrisyork

Good lord this made me laugh, back in the days of those crappy micro filters!

On with the ISP who had you do tests and checks and sent you out another 50p microfilter and it fixed the issue…

Hope you get sorted, great advice by others here

Cougar

Landline phone? How quaint.

I mean, there is that too of course.

There’s a logic to it if you have issues with mobile reception at home and don’t have any sort of Wi-Fi calling. Or, you’re my mum.

Pre-Virgin cable (and now FTTP) I really begrudged paying twenty quid a month for “line rental” that was only there as a DSL bearer and hadn’t had a phone connected in like a decade. Even with Virgin they still insist on a “landline” as part of the package which is no such thing, it’s a VoIP connection; they knocked a chunk off the bill for me having an RJ11/BT adapter plugged in. Gods know what the logic is there, even the sales bod eventually admitted that they couldn’t tell me.

One of the first things I did here after ordering VM was get a pair of snips and rip out half a mile of scabby internal cabling and extension sockets.

scuttler

Happened to me a while back after upgrading broadband speed to superfast. It was traced to a redundant second socket that when disconnected at the junction was stable again. It wasn’t an issue with the previous gen broadband as that is less sensitive to whatever fault was occurring on the line.

Things to consider:
    – if you have filters try a new one
    – connect computer to router via wired connection to rule out Wi-Fi issues
    – try inbound and outbound calls to see if disconnects relates to one in particular
    – disconnect everything else to see if it’s the line or attached equipment – you can still call your house number even without a phone attached
    – remove micro filter and connect to engineer connection in the master socket
    – call your broadband provider and book an engineer

Cougar

On with the ISP who had you do tests and checks and sent you out another 50p microfilter and it fixed the issue…

Or, didn’t, because the one they sent you was also faulty. And of course, you then go “well, it can’t be that because I’ve replaced it…”

I’ve thrown away so very many at work back when I worked in the area that configured DSL routers. “See these? They’re shit. Stop sending them to customers.” Return after return of £300+ routers over the sake of a part worth pence. I purged the warehouse of them in the end, took the box off the shelf and hoyed it in the skip outside.

cerrado-tu-ruido

It’s made me chuckle knowing it’s made some of you chuckle.

Problem persisted when changing from normal broadband to FTTC – so that’s two different routers.
    Tried different micro-filters
    Router plugged into master socket – I’ll have to look up connecting to engineer connection in the master socket.
    I have tried unplugging the two landline phones and ringing the number, the router still disconnects

sorry OP for hijacking your thread

Cougar

Router plugged into master socket – I’ll have to look up connecting to engineer connection in the master socket.

Assuming a modern-ish NTE5 socket with a “dongle” style microfilter splitting voice and data, removing the faceplate exposes the test socket but also disconnects any internal wiring. If it works in the test socket then it’s a fault with the router / microfilter / phone / externally. It the issue persists then it’s something relating to extensions (and step one here is ripping out the orange bell wire on pin 3, it’s not been needed in decades and can act as a bloody great antenna for interference).

Flaperon

Just buy a new master socket from eBay. I’m assuming most of them fall off the back of Openreach vans but it’s worth it.

Not only do you ditch the need for silly micro filters but it also lets you redirect the internet bit to a more convenient socket inside the house.

[waits for someone to come along to hysterically exclaim that fiddling with the master socket is “illegal”. While I’m sure Ooenreach would like it to be, it isn’t]

Cougar

(Again) assuming a modern-ish NTE5 socket with a “dongle” style microfilter, you shouldn’t need to touch the socket itself, you can just replace the faceplate.

joshvegas
    Free Member

The fix for this is to tell at your sister to get off the phone to her boyfriend.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.