Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Internet Connection woes
  • Premier Icon jerseychaz
    Subscriber

We are on EE Broadband. I know its working because Alexa is rattling around. However, my ASUS laptop keeps losing internet connectivity while remaining connected to the EE hub (other devices keep working) – its all a bit of a mystery and any suggestions as to cause and solution will be welcomed. TIA

Standard IT solution. Off, on. Repeat if necessary.

If too much repetition, try installing a different browser, see how that flies.

Probably something to do with laptop caching of the DNS or some such mystical network woo wah voodoo magic.

sharkbait

Is it getting an IP address from the router?
    The wifi can be connected but without an IP addy it won’t connect to the webz.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Try 5ghz/2.4ghz, different WiFi channels.

How exactly is it manifesting itself when the laptop loses internet, is it dropping WiFi or just internet? Can you connect to something on your network when it loses connection?

Try tethering a phone to see if it’s an issue when connected to the WiFi or your phone too.

Premier Icon simon_g
    Subscriber

Yep, splitting WiFi so you have 2.4ghz on one SSID (name) and 5ghz on the other helps on a lot of low-end routers. Update everything on laptop too, esp WiFi drivers.

The free version of Glasswire is good and might help to show what’s going on when this happens.

houndlegs

I’m with Plusnet which apparently is EE, and I get the same. It’s off now and can’t get it back on. Tried restarting laptop but made no difference. Everything else in house works. Laptop is hp though.

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

My laptop kept losing internet connectivity. I solved it by turning off the 5GHz channel and has been rock solid ever since.

houndlegs

How do you do that please?

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

I just logged into my router and turned it off in one of the menus @houndlegs

houndlegs

Thanks, I’ll see if I can give it a go

Premier Icon jerseychaz
    Subscriber

Probably something to do with laptop caching of the DNS or some such mystical network woo wah voodoo magic.

^ this 🙂

Thanks all will have a fiddle in the morning

Premier Icon jerseychaz
    Subscriber

Fixed it 🙂

houndlegs

How’d you fix it?

Premier Icon jerseychaz
    Subscriber

It seems to be the power management in the wifi adapter – allows the laptop to turn off the wifi adapter. I’ve disabled that function and so far so good….just have to contend with our dismally slow broadband now. I’m still to work out why there wasn’t a problem when I connected to the EE 4g hub that I have.

Premier Icon jerseychaz
    Subscriber

Spoke too soon! Back to dropping out this morning but it does seem to reconnect more quickly….deffo something going on between the wifi adapter and the EE Brightbox. Interrogating the Brighbox doesn’t seem to give me many obvious options for fiddling about!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.