Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)
  • Internet Bullying is a fact of life…
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

It is easy to avoid DezB i mean in the real world you could move house, never go outside, hide in your room to escape a Bully for example.
    I mean if you go outside you must want to be picked on 😕

Internet bullying may be just as real for some people nd just as “real ” as actull life bullying would be.

As Mark says this forum is still the real world.

Seems strange to blame the victim for this tbh

I do agree that some people have a low threshold and this may not be helpful on the forum.

philconsequence
    Free Member

if somebodies being a complete idiot, and its the majority of forum users that think they are….. is it bullying if, without prior co-ordination, a large amount of forum users express their displeasure or disagreement with that said idiot?

this leads nicely on to whether a troll can be bullied…. a perceived troll pops up on parenting thread and says, purely with the intention of winding people up, ‘i slap my kids hard if they misbehave, they dont mess around at home anymore and the bruises are easily explained away as they play rugby on saturdays’…. would the rest of the thread turning around and saying ‘your an idiot, you’re a troll, get off the thread’ be bullying? what if that idiot turned out to be telling the truth and they felt bullied by the forum?

its a minefield!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t believe that there is any ‘real’ bullying on this forum, personally.

The mods don’t allow it for one.

Phil makes another good point above.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Give me your credit card details, and I start being nice to you.
    I charge 5 pounds for each positive post.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont think you can bully a troll as they want a reaction and attention..i doubt they care much whether it is positive or negative.

I agree with TSY there is no actual bullying on here but sometimes it depends

Lok at the Kasae laser eyes postal thread.Now I found it very funny but he left after that so he did not. i dont know if he thought it was bullying though
    Was it bullying or just lack of humour on his part …..I am not sure tbh.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m full of good points 🙂

*awaits jamie coming on the thread saying i’m not pointy, i’m round and wobbly*

its something i have to consider on a daily basis working with paranoid schizophrenics who constantly feel the world is against them and feel bullied by people who often aren’t there! there are definitely times on the forum where i identify the same behaviours and similar thought patterns as my paranoid patients display. feeling the victim purely because somebody disagrees with you is a vulnerable position to be in on a forum with a varied demographic accessing it! i dont feel it should be up to the other forum users to hold back from expressing their opinions for fear of possibly offending somebody though. i certainly wouldn’t expect the general public to do so for fear of offending my patients as my patients need to learn to cope with the world if they’re going to survive in it!

EDIT:

I dont think you can bully a troll as they want a reaction and attention..i doubt they care much whether it is positive or negative.

agreed, but with the caveat that just because people think someone is deliberately trolling doesn’t always mean the person isn’t actually just being honest and their opinion goes against the social grain. TJ on a helmet thread for example, he definitely believes what he posts about helmets, the other forum users jump on him and accuse him of trolling because they can’t understand that he’s got a differing opinion and is unwilling to change it because he’s being told he’s stupid.

DezB
    Free Member

It is easy to avoid DezB i mean in the real world you could move house, never go outside, hide in your room to escape a Bully for example.
    I mean if you go outside you must want to be picked on

That, I must say is an utterly crap comparison. Those are things you can’t avoid doing. Looking at a forum link is not the same.

DezB
    Free Member

Which means that you have been unsuccessfully bullied.

ftfy

Ro5ey
    Free Member

If you’re getting bullied then you must want to be! It’s piss easy to avoid.

+1

Step away from the computer people, step away.

But stepping away also goes for all the silly arguing that goes around and around in in ever more boring circles on here

Dont get dragged in and if your on the wind up … know when to stop.

Cougar

I find it hard to see how a forum populated by mostly 30- and 40-somethings can have much of a bullying problem. Surely everyone’s old enough to either MTFU, take it to the mods, or simply walk away?

A completely different story would be when you’re 14 and using a site that all your peers use (Facebook or whatever the latest fad du jour is). There you’re essentially stuck; walking away would ostracise you from a primary social network used by all your friends, it’s an integral part of daily life.

Ie, you can’t use STW as an example when discussing Internet bullying. It’s just not the same.

Single_tracker
    Free Member

This thread is pretty pathetic, indeed even sad. Its no mystery what Phil and Yeti are doing and I’m just surprised the mods have let it run.
    They are complicite or ignorant to what these two are doing.
    Its types like you two that mean I rarely come here and post.

Junkyard
    Free Member

DezB theissue is you should not have to stop doing anything because of what others are doing to you [bullying] whether online or off line.

You are still expecting the victim to alter their behaviour due to bullying the point is they should not have to and at that point the “bully” has won.

donsimon
    Free Member

agreed, but with the caveat that just because people think someone is deliberately trolling doesn’t always mean the person isn’t actually just being honest and their opinion goes against the social grain.

+1, I don’t think for anyone else but for the victim to make decisions as to whether it was…

Was it bullying or just lack of humour on his part

It’s too easy to be overly aggressive to someone and fall back on the line of it all being a joke when it goes pear shaped.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Which means that you have been unsuccessfully bullied.

ftfy

Well you’ve fixed for yourself in an attempt to cover your embarrassment over your ridiculous statement that if someone is forced off a thread or forum they haven’t been bullied, not for me.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Say what Single_Tracker?

Do you have another log in?

yunki
    Free Member

consider on a daily basis working with paranoid schizophrenics who constantly feel the world is against them and feel bullied by people who often aren’t there! there are definitely times on the forum where i identify the same behaviours and similar thought patterns as my paranoid patients display

could it be that internet forums are a refuge for the mentally ill..?
    are the sane a silent minority here..?

DezB
    Free Member

DezB theissue is you should not have to stop doing anything because of what others are doing to you

I totally disagree with you JY, but I ain’t TJ, so you can have your view, I’ll have mine. They can be different..

Oh and cos I disagree with Ernie_Lynch my statement is totally ridiculous? Fool.

philconsequence
    Free Member

could it be that internet forums are a refuge for the mentally ill..?
    are the sane a silent minority here..?

i think everyone’s a little mentally ill in their own way, its only when it gets to the point that it’s stopping the individual from leading a ‘normal’ (as defined by the society in which the individual lives) life that people like me step in to help.

me stating that i sometimes observe paranoid behaviours on this forum isn’t the same as accusing people of being schizophrenic, its just identifying a behaviour that is amplified and horribly debilitating for some people suffering from schizophrenia.

single_tracker, please could you explain what you feel i am doing apart from discussing what bullying is? your post would suggest that you feel persecuted or that i’m going out of my way to persecute a particular forum member with my contributions to this thread? i could of course be wrong and it might be a small amount of paranoia on my part by feeling that way.

yunki
    Free Member

me stating that i observe paranoid behaviours on this forum isn’t the same as accusing people of being schizophrenic

I didn’t say it was old son

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Oh and cos I disagree with Ernie_Lynch my statement is totally ridiculous? Fool.

Oh I’m a “fool” because I don’t agreed with you ?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i know yunki, i was purely putting that in to avoid other forum members accusing me of accusing them of being a paranoid schizophrenic 😀 apologies if, and i can see why it did, it read as being specifically directed at you!

(not that being a paranoid schizophrenic is a bad thing, i’d definitely rather spend my time with my patients that some of the forum members)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Single Tracker – I just looked at your posting history… I like the way you structure your posts… 🙂 😳 8) :mrgreen:

donsimon
    Free Member

Oh I’m a “fool” because I don’t agreed with you ?

Do stop being so paranoid! 😈

yunki
    Free Member

I was purely putting that in to avoid other forum members accusing me of accusing them of being a paranoid schizophrenic

but surely you must agree that the sane on this forum are a silent minority..? 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

honestly… i dont think anyone one individual could be universally agreed on as being ‘sane’.

one man’s sane is another man’s insane. its all down to societies changing idea of what normal is.

yunki
    Free Member

oh

philconsequence
    Free Member

for example, a man hearing the voice of god 300 years ago would be worshipped, now they’re given tablets and more often than not, the voice of god goes away.

anyway, back to the thread… using a second log-in to target certain forum members could be classed as bullying no?

alex222
    Free Member

for example, a man hearing the voice of god 300 years ago would be worshipped, now they’re given tablets and more often than not, the voice of god goes away.

Didn’t Moses trip Baws though? So he was taking tablets to hear god. A bit like a raver, or a hippie

I am not citing Moses as the only person whom spoke to God/a god(s)

[EDIT]By take tablets I mean get his harem to rub oil full of psychotropic drugs all over him[/EDIT]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

using a second log-in to target certain forum members could be classed as bullying no?

Ummm… yeah, you’d have thought… I only ever used my2ndlogin’s for good.

My Mrs had her log-in banned recently because someone assumed it was me, I digress.

MrsToast
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz2jbCJXkpA[/video]

Warning for language… 😛

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“for example, a man hearing the voice of god 300 years ago would be worshipped, now they’re given tablets and more often than not, the voice of god goes away. “

Racist

Mark

Multiple accounts are not allowed for very good reason. By registering an account you are agreeing to that rule. Anyone on this thread who would like to contact us and let us know which account they would like to continue and which we should close will NOT face a ban. An amnesty if you will. Make sure you contact us before Monday lunchtime tho or the ban hammer will come down.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My view – having been on both sides of this perhaps I think there is little if any true bullying on here however some behaviour can get close to it if not become bullying.

My interactions with cynic-al could be seen as bullying either way depending which bit you read. I found him to be making personal attacks on me multiple times a day and for a period of time returned the favour who bullied who?.

Teamhurtmore continually calls me a bully, I have been on the receiving end of concerted attacks from others.

It is different to interactions in real life in a way – in real life you can walk away from one person and still maintain friendships with others – here you cannot do that. Its either be open with interaction with all or none ( unless you use the killfile)

If one person makes your life very unpleasant on a forum by their actions you are left with a choice – to stop using the forum or to accept their actions

If people leave forums because people have been deliberately unpleasant to them then they surely have been bullied off

However here – the mods generally keep it on the right side of what is acceptable -the line between trolling, robust debate and bullying can be very hard to define

There is a good example of this on a recent closed thread where one person only contributed to the thread to make nasty personal attacks on me and after a couple of these I let rip at him.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would like my second and third logins TandemJeremy and Junkyard banned please. Apologies etc.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mark – Can you reinstate MrsYeti… hard to believe, maybe, but it actually is my Mrs.

philconsequence
    Free Member

as above, quite a few of us have met mrsyeti (or claire as shes also known) and she’s real, she made a point on facebook of her disappointment at being banned as she wanted to come on here and tell us all how fat yeti is.

alex222
    Free Member

yes but he has very well defined calves covered in tattoos of his own face – or so he says.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

During my school years, there were a few attempts made to bully me. I adopted the strategy of responding by hitting the bully as hard as I could. The bully went away and didn’t come back.

I recently found on STW, that adopting an “internet” version of this, resulted in the same outcome…

Dobbo

I would like my second and third logins TandemJeremy and Junkyard banned please. Apologies etc.

I’ll do that now.

[Edit] Must remember to log out and back in as Mark.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I recently found on STW, that adopting an “internet” version of this, resulted in the same outcome…

Who have you been hitting Woppit ? You big ol’ bruiser you.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘Internet Bullying is a fact of life…’ is closed to new replies.