• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • International Women’s Day
  • ddraiggoch
    Free Member

Today is International Women’s Day.

So what, I hear some of you ask. Well, a few years ago, I probably would do too – amazing what a spot of growing up can do for a bloke. In many ways its a sad indictment that it’s necessary for such a day to exist at all.

Well, today, something rather remarkable happened in my workplace: I didn’t get offered an internal job to the next level of management. Not that remarkable? Perhaps. But ten, or even five years ago in the same place, there would probably have been a different outcome. Two candidates, roughly similar experience, one male, one female. In my industry (science), this is precisely the point in the hierarchy that the roughly 50:50 m/f split falls sharply. The level above that position, for example, there are 10 positions, 9 of them held by blokes in their late 50s. I’m in my mid 30’s, hardly a set-back for me to be worried about long-term, and finally good to see a level or meritocracy slowly seeping in to the old boys’ club.

locum76
    Free Member

Decent. 😎

doris5000

good post. Stand by for shitshow in 3…2…1….

It’s interesting to see Western countries start to get on board with IWD in such a big way. Some 15 years ago, I was given a telling off by my Soviet-born girlfriend who was dismayed that her dinosaur of a boyfriend had not even heard of Women’s Day, much less bought her a card or token to celebrate it.

Feels like it’s only in the last 5 years or so that it’s become a bit of a thing here now. Probably a sign of progress. I hope.

(Before anyone complains, yes there is also an international men’s day)

locum76
    Free Member

I wonder if there’s something I should be doing to celebrate this? 🤔

ddraiggoch
    Free Member

In my case, after calling my wife to let her know I didn’t have to become a stressy middle manager (at least some on what the role in question sadly entails), she sent me this from my 5 year old who was off school:

“I just want you to be my daddy. You don’t need boss job to do that”

timmys

My favourite thing about this day is always Richard Herring’s twitter crusade where he politely replies to all the morons who tweet along the lines of “imagine the outrage if there was an international men’s day” by pointing out it is on November 19th.

He also uses this to promote raise funds for Refuge, £150,00 last year, £65,000 at this point this year;
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/whensinternationalmensday2019

slowoldman

It’s been quite a week. Pancakes, pies, women.

singletrackmag
    Free Member
    raybanwomble
    Free Member

In my case, after calling my wife to let her know I didn’t have to become a stressy middle manager (at least some on what the role in question sadly entails), she sent me this from my 5 year old who was off school:
    “I just want you to be my daddy. You don’t need boss job to do that”

This!

There are a couple of sticking points though, the first are sexist male attitudes towards women in management positions – the second are the women who also internalize those ideas. I’m lucky in that my wife is career oriented and doesn’t mind if she earns more than me (she is in wealth management, I’m in biotech – it’s a given that she will). I’m also way more patient when dealing with animals and kids. But we both know loads and loads of women who absaloutely can’t handle being the ones who earn more than their other half – one even told us that “if you’re not model hot or earning more than me, what value do you bring? You have to offer something”. My wife works with a bunch of typical male bankers, all they want to do is be at home with their family – and none of them really truly like being at work.

alpin
    Free Member

I wonder if there’s something I should be doing to celebrate this? 🤔

Paint your nails and wax your legs.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think it’s a good thing, a few years ago I might have argued it wasn’t needed anymore, but it is. Sexism isn’t overt anymore, it’s subtle and often unnoticed by the person doing it.

Women’s Day isn’t ‘anti-Man Day’ (although I know there’s a Men’s Day now which is also a good thing for other reasons).

rmacattack
    Free Member

Arlene foster got female politician of the year. That alone will tell you what sort of award charade this is.

slowoldman

“Arlene Foster?”. Who on Earth got to vote on that poll?

rmacattack
    Free Member

It’s like making Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon PM

doris5000

Arlene foster got female politician of the year. That alone will tell you what sort of award charade this is.

That was at the Asian Voice Political & Public Life awards ceremony.

Which, let’s be honest, is basically the same thing as International Women’s Day, so I can see how you got them mixed up

DezB
    Free Member

This is good (few days late, I know. But worth bearing in mind for next year 🙂 )

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2019/mar/08/protests-placards-and-prayers-on-international-womens-day-in-pictures

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘International Women’s Day’ is closed to new replies.