Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • International “Park like a @&#+=* day”
  • timmys

To be fair, even if their tyres were scuffing the kerb that parking bay is way too narrow for that car.

Which tells you the stupid car is too big. I’ve never seen a standard car that hasn’t fitted in before. It was blocking the road for anything larger than a normal car (ambulance, fire engine etc.)

shuhockey
    Free Member

Have some Sheffield Parking on the Twitter universe https://twitter.com/ParkinginSheff

therealthing
    Free Member

I take great pleasure in shoving the pushchair along cars that park on pavements. Should be fair game to remove wing mirrors to increase clearance. Entitled pricks.

As much as I dislike inconsiderate parking, you sound just as ‘entitled’ as the pavement parkers.  Well done.

willyboy
    Free Member

I carefully pointed out to a lady this morning that she shouldn’t be parking outside the school on a yellow line with timed restrictions (right opposite the entrance).

Came out of school, after dropping kids off, to have her go nuts at me. She stated that I was ‘very rude’ and that she can park where she likes as it was outside her house. I then pointed out that there was a yellow line with a restriction. The restriction  sign was right next to to her car.

She wasn’t having any of it and continued to shout off her mouth to all and sundry that I was very rude.

I wish I hadn’t bothered.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I wish I hadn’t bothered.

I’ve had a few run ins with people, and when I realised I was getting a bit too close to a punch in the face, i just stopped saying anything. Trying to take the approach now that someone less concerned about the outcome than myself might come along and key their pride and joy

People are dicks, and they seem to be spreading at an alarming rate

tjagain

the real thing – the difference is he is entitled to walk with baby buggy along the pavement, the car is not entitled to drive and park on the pavement.

tjagain

Willyboy – photograph her with the sign / yellow lines in view and walk off making sure she has seen you

GrahamS

how come these wundervagons, fitted with all manner of electronic driver aids, fail to end up “nice and square”.

My father-in-law has a Jag with front and back parking cameras that show an overlay of where the car will end up based on how you turn the wheel. It can also park itself automatically if requested.

It literally couldn’t be easier, but somehow he still regularly ends up at an angle, several feet from the kerb.

theotherjonv

After talking to the club with little result it took the best part of 6 weeks of calling the police on a Sunday morning to ticket the cars before things started getting better.

We have the same in our road with the kids football club opposite, but I had a word with the chairman who i know anyway, he sent a letter out and the parking got a lot more considerate. Even to the extent that one time i pulled up across a dropped kerb and before I’d even blipped the car shut a parent had come across and was starting to berate me for blocking a drive. His concern abated somewhat when i pointed out it was my own drive and i was only unloading the shopping anyway…… we both saw the funny side.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My latest one next to our Xtrail today, I nearly keyed it but that would’ve been silly. The car that was there when I parked up was parked spot on, & that was there when I got back.

https://flic.kr/p/2bF53bx

I might start a Facebook page on crap parking.

tjagain

esselgruntfuttock

There already are several

njee20
    Free Member

As much as I dislike inconsiderate parking, you sound just as ‘entitled’ as the pavement parkers.  Well done.

Thanks! Faced with that or walking in the road I’ll shove through. Any damage is purely accidental, and of their own doing. If there’s still room to get through I won’t scuff along the car, though, that’s unnecessary and I agree would make me as entitled as the pricks who can’t park.

markcurtains
    Free Member

Monster

An old one tbh but this was the official branded truck at Sheffield Decathlon.  Parked across 2 (two) disabled bays.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had to chuckle, at home having a late lunch, and its nearly kicking out time for the nearby primary school. Car comes up and due to one of the other mums taking a space and a half, they have the half space and partially block the neighbours drive. Then their son in law turns up and they had to move so he could get in the drive. Ha!

globalti
    Free Member

Ever been to France?

Its a “thing” there fo’sho’ and has been for decades.

Find a spot 1mtr smaller than your vehicle, and bump/wedge/bump your way into the spot.

This. You are all parking pussies; when I lived in Paris you always left the handbrake off so that neighbours could shunt your car forwards or backwards to create space. Most cars had cracked bumpers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ever been to France?

Its a “thing” there fo’sho’ and has been for decades.

Find a spot 1mtr smaller than your vehicle, and bump/wedge/bump your way into the spot.

This. You are all parking pussies; when I lived in Paris you always left the handbrake off so that neighbours could shunt your car forwards or backwards to create space. Most cars had cracked bumpers.

Indeed.

I lived and worked in Bordeaux for a couple of years, I had a Company Car at the time. Within 2mths of new ownership it looked like a relic from a a few laps around the local grass track club circuit.

I bought an old VW Polo off a colleague down there which was smattered with all manner of scrapes and scratches and then I proceeded to drive and park like a local.. using the bump and grind method.

One thing it teaches you is that it’s suprising just what size car will fit in the most inconceivable gaps.. with some effort.. obvz.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Ive got an excellent picture of a Toyota 4×4 parked at right angles across 2 disabled parking bays.

Unfortunately I have no idea of how to post the picture !

kayak23

I went to a Screwfix yesterday and there was a bright yellow Lotus or some such pose-mobile parked diagonally across two bays right outside the store.

Either they can’t park, or just don’t gaf, or maybe it was strategic to prevent others from dooring their pride and joy.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Fill your boots:

Parking like a tit in Cornwall Facebook group

ETA: Usually a bit busier in summer

Ha there was one of those parking like a …… Facebook groups in our village

Heinous little shite that ran it was a very brave keyboard warrior till it got made public who and where he lived and he wasn’t so interested in calling people out on the www

Serves him right really I reserved the right to park acrossa all the motorbike bays at tesco

cubist
    Free Member

i used to live in Maids Moreton. There was rugby club that had a very good turnout on a Sunday for kids rugby with several pitches being used. Trouble was there was next to no parking, so on a Sunday morning the parents would turn up with one child per 4×4 and because the road past the club was busy they would park half on the pavement so you couldn’t walk past. If they were prepared to walk a couple of hundred yards there was enough on street parking available.

After talking to the club with little result it took the best part of 6 weeks of calling the police on a Sunday morning to ticket the cars before things started getting better.

Surely the men’s first team could have saved the police a chore?

Kit
    Free Member

Morrisons in Dumfries.

CountZero

I’ll just leave this one here, ok?

CountZero

They make the pavement especially wide in my road for the safety of everyone…

kateezdad2
    Free Member

tuboflard

Had a word with this bloke today. Told him he was in a bus stop bay and he basically said tough if a bus showed up and it would have to stop elsewhere. Arsehole.

diz

Kateezdad2 is that the Formby Tesco?

Sandwich

TBF to the Honda above it always was permissible to use bus stops for parking after a certain time.

tjagain

not in Edinburgh – bus stops are always no parking

therealthing
    Free Member

the real thing – the difference is he is entitled to walk with baby buggy along the pavement, the car is not entitled to drive and park on the pavement.

Well, obviously.  I doubt anyone needed telling that.  But thanks anyway.

I take great pleasure in shoving the pushchair along cars that park on pavements

Regardless, purposely damaging the cars (and taking pleasure in doing so), makes him just as much as an entitled dick.  To fall back on a cliché, two wrongs don’t make a right.

therealthing
    Free Member

If there’s still room to get through I won’t scuff along the car, though, that’s unnecessary and I agree would make me as entitled as the pricks who can’t park.

Just caught up with the posts…..in that case, fair enough.  Doesn’t quite excuse the ‘great pleasure’ in causing damage though does it?

tjagain

IMO we are far too tolerant of bad parking in this country.

One reason why no one parks in cycle lanes in the netherlands – despite a chronic shortage of parking in the cities is that if you do park in a cycle lane you can guarantee you car will be scratched by a cyclist annoyed at the parking.  Vigilante enforcement! – that and a calvinistic abide by the rules attitude to everything.

Car drivers in the UK feel entitled to break the law / rules all the time and get incensed when rules are enforced – the ” war on motorists”  Its high time this was rebalanced

ayjaydoubleyou

I take great pleasure in shoving the pushchair along cars that park on pavements

If we can moan about how cars have got so much wider, why do the buggies get a pass? Some of those are ridiculous these days. Often pushed by arseholes who have zero intention of sharing the path with anyone else.

jekkyl

while we’re on the subject how come disabled badge holders are allowed to park on double yellows? you often seen them parked in very dangerous places, on bends, outside shops etc. often compounded by the fact that they are driven by elderly people wearing hats! Being disabled in some way doesn’t magically make that parking spot less dangerous.

therealthing
    Free Member

Car drivers in the UK feel entitled to break the law / rules all the time and get incensed when rules are enforced – the ” war on motorists”  Its high time this was rebalanced

I get the feeling your view of ‘balanced’ would be incredibly unbalanced in your favour.  Do you own a car?  Not trying to excuse the atrocious parking in any way, but damaging badly parked cars is not the answer.

There are always going to be dicks who preach ‘live and let live’, but really mean ‘let me do things my way because I am unable to comprehend other peoples point of view’.

philjunior
    Free Member

while we’re on the subject how come disabled badge holders are allowed to park on double yellows? you often seen them parked in very dangerous places, on bends, outside shops etc. often compounded by the fact that they are driven by elderly people wearing hats! Being disabled in some way doesn’t magically make that parking spot less dangerous.

I think the idea of double yellows is regarding convenience/traffic flow rather than safety.

The fact somebody is disabled might make it harder to walk even around the corner to the shops. I’m pretty surprised I have to point this out!

Also whilst I’m on that note, disabled people are entitled to drive fancy cars too! A friend of some of my friends until recently (RIP) got lots of suspicious looks when parking his sports car in a disabled bay, but he was in his 70s or older and was indeed disabled.

jekkyl

The fact somebody is disabled might make it harder to walk even around the corner to the shops. I’m pretty surprised I have to point this out!

Very valid point and no you do not need to point this out. If they do have trouble walking then surely it would be common sense to go to a different shop or facility where there is adequate and safe parking so that they are not obstructing traffic or making an area unsafe. They are in a car after all.

tjagain

Its very unbalanced in the car drivers advantage right now.  A 2 mile ride into the town centre can often see a dozen card parked in a clearway on the cycleway.

I woulod be very much in favour of “zero tolerance” towards anyone who breaks the rules.  Within a couple of years either behaviour would change or there would be no cars left on the road a they would all be banned

If the powers that be will not enforce the rules why can we not?  As I said – try parking in a cycleway in amsterdamn – if you can get past the tutting you WILL find your car dmagaed.  Would you park there again?  No.

Flaperon

Pavement parking boils my piss, because of the thought process behind it.  “Ooh, I don’t want to block the road and inconvenience traffic, so I’ll move as much of the car as I can onto the pavement.  Look, if I fold in the mirror you can still squeeze past if you turn sideways and scrape your way along the wall / hedge.”

Few things quite as satisfying as watching a tired mum with a pushchair aiming for an interference fit between the car and the wall.  Obviously I can’t condone deliberately damaging a car, but I do think that if every car parked on the pavement had a scrape running down the full length of one side then the problem would disappear quite quickly.

philjunior
    Free Member

TBF to the Honda above it always was permissible to use bus stops for parking after a certain time.

Not when it’s marked like that.

I once parked near a bus stop that they decided to mark up like that whilst I was away for the week. No parking restrictions prior to that. Somewhere I have a photo of the lines that extended under both bumpers but not quite to the wheels 🙂

rsl1
    Free Member

Double yellows are often for safety, for example there’s normally double yellows at the end of a road to make sure the view for cars leaving the road isn’t blocked.

Case in point my road from which turning right requires you to be pretty much all the way across the road before you can see when all the taxis double park for a swift one in the pub before they go on shift… Don’t even get me started.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘International “Park like a @&#+=* day”’ is closed to new replies.