Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 163 total)
  • International Men's Day – November 19th
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

That is not the same thing though as saying that one problem is more important than the other, which is where we end up when we take an adversairial, my problem is bigger than yours, approach to these issues

I think I agree there too. However, this argument usually emerges when one group identifies and issue which affects them particularly, then the other group shouts “me too”.

geetee1972
    Free Member

then the other group shouts “me too”.

The irony of that particular tag isn’t lost on me!

outofbreath
    Free Member

The person making the assertion is not irrelevant: their history of posts on similar topics is an important factor when trying to determine where they’re coming from.

Where they’re coming from *is* irrelevant. Ad Hom Fallacy/Genetic fallacy.

ransos
    Free Member

Where they’re coming from *is* irrelevant. Ad Hom Fallacy/Genetic fallacy.

The only fallacy is to assume that Ad Hominem is a logical fallacy.

johnx2
    Free Member

excellent. An argument about how to argue 😀

wwaswas

An argument about how to argue

No it’s not!

outofbreath
    Free Member

An argument about how to argue

😀

The only fallacy is to assume that Ad Hominem is a logical fallacy.

<sniffs bait>
    <swims off>

geetee1972
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/XNkjDuSVXiE?t=5[/video]

ransos
    Free Member

<sniffs bait>
    <swims off>

Suit yourself. To anyone else interested: “he would say that, wouldn’t he”, said by Mandy Rice Davies during the Profumo affair, is perhaps the most famous ad hominem in our political history. That’s what I mean when I say that it’s important consider who is making a point, and why.

geetee1972
    Free Member

That’s what I mean when I say that it’s important consider who is making a point, and why.

I agree with you.

It’s also important to consider the bias of the person making a point about the person making the point because it’s also entirely possible that they would also say that wouldn’t they.

kerley
    Free Member

83% of suicides are by men

That’s some quick progress, it was 85% yesterday. Will be down to 50% by the end of November and everyone will be happy.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Will be down to 50% by the end of November and everyone will be happy.

Which means it will be down to 0%

geetee1972
    Free Member

That’s some quick progress, it was 85% yesterday. Will be down to 50% by the end of November and everyone will be happy.

Thankyou for your contribution. It was a typo.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s also important to consider the bias of the person making a point about the person making the point because it’s also entirely possible that they would also say that wouldn’t they.

It’s also important to consider the bias of the person making a point about the person making a point about the person making the point because it’s also entirely possible that they would also say that wouldn’t they.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s also important to consider the bias of the person making a point about the person making a point about the person making the point because it’s also entirely possible that they would also say that wouldn’t they.

Mornington Crescent

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ve answered with clarity. If you think otherwise then you’re trying to make something out of nothing or perhaps, as usual, you’re both just looking for internet points and/or an argument.

O h I have this one here

In fact, you seem to be trying to tell me what I meant in my post, which is a bit weird considering I was the author.

Ironically it was what you wrote after that – you seem to like doing what you object to FROWNS

IMHO its an insult to binners just adding “some may think that” or “it appears that” or “you come across as” is is just some way of saying what you think whilst having an unconvincing get out that enables you to some how say you are not being insulting whist delivering an insult

I long gave up trying to work out what Charlie things he is smart but he wastes it IMHO with odd arguments I dont care much for and cannot always follow – sorry I meant to say it appears that he 😉

Not read thread after that post so sorry if a rehashing etc

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I long gave up trying to work out what Charlie things he is smart but he wastes it IMHO with odd arguments I dont care much for and cannot always follow – sorry I meant to say it appears that he

Really? I really thought my points here were pretty clear and conciliatory. No, really i did. You constantly see me as trolling and i never do. I may occasionally post ironically, because some folks in here seem to have normalised some pretty way out / unacceptable views. but most of the time, i’m being serious

For my benefit, tell me what odd arguments you mean?

geetee1972
    Free Member

IMHO its an insult to binners just adding “some may think that” or “it appears that” or “you come across as” is is just some way of saying what you think whilst having an unconvincing get out that enables you to some how say you are not being insulting whist delivering an insult

Yeah that’s maybe what he did, but let’s be honest, that’s also not something you see Binners doing is it. I mean he doesn’t tend to be particularly ambiguous or careful with his insults, he just wades right in.

He’s said some trully vile and horrible things, personal things to me at least based on nothing other than the simple fact he doesn’t agree with me (and I don’t think he understood the points I was making either). It doesn’t bother me as I said earlier but he can’t know that before he opens the sluice gates of his thoughts.

I wonder if he remembers that he and I have actually met and enjoyed each other’s company?

binners

The sluice gates of my thoughts?

I quite like that actually. Sums up what’s going on in my head most of the time 🙂

When did we meet GT? I’m not being rude. I’ve met absolutely loads of people off here over the years, and liked all of them

I gather we didn’t get on subject matter like this? Not really your usual post-ride pub banter. 😀

I’m just going to leave it now. I think we can just agree to disagree. I think one thing we both have in common is that we clearly have a ‘water off a ducks back’ attitude to what people think of us, and a propensity to talk utter shite!

teasel
    Free Member

Ironically it was what you wrote after that – you seem to like doing what you object to FROWNS

You just can’t help yourself, can you.

Face it, Junkyard – you’re wrong in this instance – you have no idea what I mean when I write anything and you’re now just making yourself look pretty argumentative and quite stupid. I’m not trying to wriggle out of anything or give myself some sort of excuse or whatever the **** you’re trying to get at. Just accept that you’re wrong in this instance and move along.

If you continue to engage in internet arguments (and you most certainly will, cos, y’know, you see it as some sort of badge of honor or something) then you’re likely to lose a few. Take this as one of those and give it a **** rest. I know what I wrote, you’re presuming you know. Stop trying to make me out to be some sort of hypocrite or something. As I wrote above and in true tautological stylee – you’re wrong.

TBH I have no idea why you’d think I feel the need to beat around the bush when it comes to insulting folk – I have form for being direct and my posts removed so what you’re claiming doesn’t fit the poster, does it.

You’re an unnecessarily argumentative addition to this forum, Junkyard. Perhaps it’s time to take a long, hard look at what really motivates most of your posts and visits to this place, eh…

binners

Can I just settle this? I really couldn’t care less whether you implied i’m a ****, or directly called me a ****, or suggested I just come across as a ****

Thanks for defending my honour though JY, you gorgeous, hairy, bunny-loving bugger! 🙂

teasel
    Free Member

And just so we’re not cross-posting with edits again…

Let’s take a scenario – you engage in something and lose your shit and say some inappropriate things to a stranger. One of your mates witnesses this and calls you on it for coming across as a bit of a dick. Is he calling you a dick or is he suggesting that you behaved in a dickish manner?

And, more importantly, do you feel he would be insulting you for claiming as much?

teasel
    Free Member

Can I just settle this? I really couldn’t care less whether you implied i’m a ****, or directly called me a ****, or suggested I just come across as a ****

Good.

I don’t know you so can’t make an assessment either way and hope you can get the gist of my original and following post.

You ****

binners

Cheers, you ****!

😀

teasel
    Free Member

🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

When did we meet GT? I’m not being rude. I’ve met absolutely loads of people off here over the years, and liked all of them

Well it would have been around 2006 maybe, I joined you for a ride over Rivington Pike with MartynS, Bunnhop and NBT. There was a moment where I thought two of the others in the group (that I hadn’t met before either) were a (gay) couple, much to everyone’s mirth. I’m pretty sure that a few other STW ‘big hitters’ were there also.

sbob
    Free Member

teasel – Member

Binners – do yourself a favour and stay away from threads in which Geetee is the OP or at least write something other than you do. You come across as a complete **** and a particularly nasty arsehole. It’s not funny to anyone with a modicum of respect for other folk.

Despite being the champion of Tory toast and paedophile pasties, he can do no harm; leave him alone. 🙂

You know if you squint, STW and SJW look almost exactly the same…? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

well it a turned out nice again and thanks for the usual level of love.

Stevet1
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

geetee1972 »
    No it’s another name for men are 85% of suicides days (among other things).

Woo hoo! Winning! Take that feminazis.

This comment made me smile.

Peyote
    Free Member

This entire thread made me smile.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You find the fact that society is failing a large number of men resulting in them committing suicidce funny?

Stevet1
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

You find the fact that society is failing a large number of men resulting in them committing suicidce funny?

No I find it very troubling, and like many on here have at times felt the pull of stepping off into the abyss. Which is why I found the knowingly inappropriate comment very funny. Humour is a very good coping mechanism for life in general I find.

wwaswas

I’m with Stevet1 – laughing at stuff is often a good way to stop yourself crying.

geetee1972
    Free Member

No I find it very troubling, and like many on here have at times felt the pull of stepping off into the abyss. Which is why I found the knowingly inappropriate comment very funny. Humour is a very good coping mechanism for life in general I find.

I’m glad I didn’t bite down on your original comment. I think you make an important point.

wwaswas

Harry Venning is a bit ambiguous about how Clare sees things…

aracer
    Free Member

Haven’t read the whole thread, got bored, but just wanted to point out the reason for my boredom is there’s far too much playing the man rather than the ball on this thread. Could the mods please just delete every post which is either bullying gt or defending him (yes I know that includes this one, and it will probably leave less than 1 page of posts)?

bikebouy
    Free Member

People are allowed freedom of speech, there are some nasty comments on here but those personalities intrinsically involved have rather thick skins.
    It’s also brought out some other posters comments which have been interesting to say the least.

Junkyard
    Free Member

This comment made me smile

Its the funniest thing i have read on here for a very very long time as for GT I think he needs sympathy[ in general] but he also must know what will happen when he tries this weeks MR thread – it seems many on the forum are tired of it and find some of his posts sexist and extremist and he is in happy to cite some very very dubious and troubling sources.

Were someone to say be alt right about everything this would happen on here as its largely a rational pace though it defends this in a rude dismissive manner.

funkmasterp

Genuine question for STW men. What issues do you face? I have depression and have posted about it on quite a few threads. However, it’s in no way related to the fact that I’m a man. It’s simply a chemical imbalance (serotonin). I genuinely can’t think of any issues I face simply from being male.

Is the 85% suicide rate quoted worldwide? Is it skewed by certain cultures or countries?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is the 85% suicide rate quoted worldwide? Is it skewed by certain cultures or countries?

In almost every developed nation the rate is significantly higher for men than women, but I couldn’t confirm that it was as high as that everywhere.

Interestingly the attempts at suicide are roughly the same, it’s just that men are much more determined to succeed than women. It’s been argued that there is a difference in the nature of suicide as an option between men and women.

For men it represents the need/opportunity to regain control (and thus the efforts are very focused on succeeding). For women it’s about an emotional cry for help so the attempt is ‘half hearted’, i.e. there is a hope that they will be found in time.

As I say, these are just theories, they aren’t proven.

I’m touched that some people think the instances of ‘bullying’ should be removed. I’d rather they stand as I think they are a good testimony as to people’s realy character.

As far as I can tell I’ve said nothing remotely ‘extremist’ and the only thing I have ever said that others feel might be ‘sexist’ is the stuff I posted about the empirical data that shows small but important differences in personality measures between men and women.

You understand though, that stuff isn’t ‘my view’ it’s ‘data’ – it’s not stuff I’ve made up right. I mean you do understand that right?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘International Men's Day – November 19th’ is closed to new replies.