Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • International Driving Permit
  • oldtennisshoes

That’s an hour of my time and £16 (£10 for the passport photos) I won’t get back.
    Getting it made up was like going back to the 80s, a grey trifold cardboard document with rubber stamps in it. Looks like a ration book.
    FFS!

The only slight silver lining is the jobs in swansea it will create to GDS the bloody thing.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Maybe we can Take Back Control and outsource it to France after Brexit, as they did the production of our passports.

tjmoore

They still have the gray cardboard thing?! 😮

Had one of those 20 years ago to drive in the US, and then discovered they’ll accept British licenses anyway, especially once we got photo cards.

Wondering about EU after Brexit though but just done my card renewal and has nice EU flag on it as well as UK so might keep them happy. I also seem to be able to drive a lot more vehicles now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    colp

Damn, I’ll be in France for an hour on my way to Austria. Belgium, Lux, Germany & Austria all ok with U.K. photocard licence, France want a 1968 IDP

eskay

I paid for one about a year ago for one of the brexit deadlines and never used it, going on holiday in March so will probably need to go through it again.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Why do you think you’ll need an IDP to drive in France? (You don’t, at least not in 2020.)

JP

Poopscoop

I got one a few years back and was stunned at how 1930’s it was.

How long they valid for?

Another Brexy bonus eh.😟

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Poopscoop

Subscriber

I got one a few years back and was stunned at how 1930’s it was.

How long they valid for?

Another Brexy bonus eh.😟

You don’t need one currently as a result of Brexit and it’s unlikely that you will. It’s amazing how much confusion there is out there about this.

JP

oldtennisshoes

You don’t need one currently as a result of Brexit and it’s unlikely that you will. It’s amazing how much confusion there is out there about this.

JP

Looks like I need one for Italy

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit-international-driving-permits

jjprestidge
    Free Member

This is where the confusion lies, because that part of the site is poorly written. I quote, from the same site:

“Driving in Europe after Brexit

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you’ll need an IDP to drive in some EU and EEA countries. Check the table to find out if you’ll need one for the country you want to visit.”

The IDPs for Europe only apply if Britain leaves the EU without a deal (very unlikely). It doesn’t apply during the transition period (ie this year).

Edit – here is the page that is from:
    https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Poopscoop

Best not to forget that there is still a very real chance we do leave without a deal end of this year.

The Gov site is bs partly at least as it’s trying to predict the future plain and simple. Even if there it’s a deal, who knows what will change our stay the same?

rone

Had one of those 20 years ago to drive in the US, and then discovered they’ll accept British licenses anyway,

I’ve had to get one last three times for USA.

Bit of a pain as have to go to a special post office.

Vortexracing

I had to get two last year, one for Italy and one for France. It was stipulated on the hire car requirements.

BTW, the timing was just around when we should have left the EU i.e. October. I think they were just covering there arses.

ebygomm
    Free Member

It was stipulated on the hire car requirements.

Did they actually ask for it?

I recently hired a car in Australia through holiday autos which specified International Driving Licence on the requirements for UK licence holders but the car hire was through Budget which has no such requirement unless the original licence is in a non Roman alphabet.

I didn’t actually have a permit because i only saw this requirement on the voucher when queuing up to collect the car, it wasn’t included in the mandatory documents on the original booking confirmation.

tjmoore

I’ve had to get one last three times for USA.

Half a dozen times driven there in last ten years including last year. Mostly Utah. Not one hire company has asked for one but accepted UK licence no problem. I even printed out the special DVLA code thing for hire companies which American ones are supposed to be able to access. They didn’t look at it.

Though I’ve never been stopped by a cop in the States. Though can’t believe they’d insist on the cardboard thing over the photo card.

Only issue I’ve had with photo card is using them for ID and one time had a rather clueless girl in a bar refuse it because she couldn’t understand the dates being the correct way round. Even arguing with her she claimed these must be fake. Her boss came out and laughed.

Vortexracing

Did they actually ask for it?

No they didn’t, but I wasn’t going to risk it

revs1972
    Free Member

I paid for one about a year ago for one of the brexit deadlines and never used it, going on holiday in March so will probably need to go through it again.

If you are going to an EU country that requires a 1968 variant then it lasts 3 years anyway. I did same as you before travelling to Holland last year .
    Regardless of confusion of UK gov website, you just know those nice foreign policepeoples will be pulling us in and dishing out fines like sweets wherever possible 😁

maccruiskeen

Getting it made up was like going back to the 80s, a grey trifold cardboard document with rubber stamps in it.

I used to have a Home Office Green Card that allowed me in to (and more importantly out of) prisons

it looked exactly like a library ticket – a small folded bit of green card with my details written on in biro.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘International Driving Permit’ is closed to new replies.