Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Internal Hose Guides – An Impossible Job?
  • GeForceJunky

Good Day All

I have just started a rigid 29er build using a Orange Clockwork 109 frame, Genesis forks and a load of spare parts I had lying around. I’ve got as far as doing the internal cabling and discovered what seems to be an impossible task – fitting the plastic cable end caps into the frame!

Does anybody have any tips on the technique for fitting these? I have tried with and without cables, but it does not make much difference as they don’t compress much. They are a semi-flexi hard rubber/plastic, so they flexi a little but not very much. I tried soaking in boiling water, but that didn’t help. I have measured the plastic as 10x27mm which has to go into a 7.5×24.8mm hole so it’s quite a bit of squeezing required!

Orange Cable Guides

Orange Cable Guides 2

Cheers!

coatesy
    Free Member

Have to do them regularly, and it’s a horrible job, but they are far more secure than the plastic jobbies they used before.  I usually insert one corner, and feed it in along it’s length until it’s almost fully in,then a very careful and controlled push downwards and inwards using a wide bladed flat screwdriver in the groove usually helps winkle them in. I accept no responsibility if you slip and damage your paintwork, or if you use too narrow a blade, and pucture the rubber 🙂

iainc

Also, put some lube on them, reduces friction !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

Aha, I know these well having just built up a Stage 6 frame.

I followed the seller’s advice and added a bit of light grease to the edges to get them in – and it worked for 3 out of 4, with a lot of struggling. The last one is still only 2/3rds in, but isn’t likely to pop out soon – I gave up in exasperation.

Discussing with Orange’s demo guy, he said the factory guys can do them in a jiffy and press in with a plastic tyre lever – Pedros-style working best.

It’s still not worked on my awkward one, but might be worth a try before cracking the screwdriver out?

GeForceJunky

Thank you good sirs, we have success! A good covering of wet chain lube around the frame hole and a plastic coated metal cored tyre lever worked reasonable well. I laid the bike on the floor to apply a lot of pressure without it moving around. Not sure the ends of my thumb are every going to be the same again!

DezB
    Free Member

Get rid of them and use Sugrue?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Is that a river outside your back door !!??

chakaping
    Free Member

I love it when a plan comes together.

GeForceJunky

Thankfully just a patio! Optical illusion with the steamed up window.

DezB
    Free Member

Aah, sweet little mini-insulation pipes for bike cables! Nice.

GeForceJunky

Next question, where did I put the silly little cable clamp from the bottom of my Command dropper post??? Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Internal Hose Guides – An Impossible Job?’ is closed to new replies.