Internal gear cable

Home Forum Bike Forum Internal gear cable

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Internal gear cable
  • andypandy85

Get rid of the inner, tape the new outer to the existing outer, Robert’s your fathers brother!

toyrobot

I imagine there’s a post on here about this but my searches keep turning up endless ‘for sale’ posts instead.
    I have a 2013 Canyon Strive and the rear shifting is getting a bit dodgy, I think it’s new cable time.
    I’m looking for tips or tried and tested methods for feeding the internal cable. I’m pretty sure the outer doesn’t run through the frame which could cause issues.
    How, for example, can I attach the new cable to the old so when I pull the old one out it pulls the new one in? Anyone got a proven technique?

woolymonster

Mate, it’s a ball-ache that’s for sure….However there are a few techniques. You say the outer is not through the frame, in which case it’s either in a channel especially for the cable, or more than likely just going solo through the frame and a complete pain in the A! If it’s the latter, get a magnet and as you feed the cable in, put the magnet on the frame so it connects with the cable through it (should here the cable moving against the frame as you you guide it down). After that you’ll need the guile of a fox to guide it down to the exit point which I hope is a decent size to get it out either luckily in that it just comes out, or with long nose pliers if you can fit them in.

If the housing is all the way through, then leave the inner in situ and pull out the outer completely (leaving only the inner cable in place). After that you’re not bothered about kinking the inner so feed the new outer back through until in place. Then remove the inner cable and replace it and vwal-the-damn-la! 😀 …Believe me you’ll be swearing whichever option you choose, but hope it helps.

shackster

When you got your bike, was there a strange piece of tubing that looked surplus to requirements? Well, that was for this. Remove outers, slide tubing over inner, all the way through frame. Remove old inner, slide new inner through tube, pull out tubing. Done.

If you don’t have that tubing, or can’t get similar, then remove outers, securely tape the old inner to the new, and pull through very gently. It’s made easier on the nerve at least because there is a plastic insert at the bottom bracket end, which you can remove to leave a bigger hole to aim at/fish around through. It does sound like a nightmare but it’s not that bad really.

toyrobot

Three cheers for Shackster!!!
    Strange tubing located. Came in the same bag as the supplied reverb bleed kit so I had assumed it was part of that. I can see how it’ll be a piece of cake with that. Though Woolymonster’s magnet tip is very tempting – sounds like the sort of thing that would lead to huge levels of man pride if you got it to work but more likely to lead to huge levels of baldness as you rip your own hair out with frustration.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Internal gear cable’ is closed to new replies.