• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Internal Doors, where do you buy yours?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

As above really, I’m utterly clueless with this sort of thing.

I’ve had prices range from £20 to £900.

I want 5 ‘solid’ as in you can’t see through them doors, and 1 with glass in made of, or look like they’re made of Oak, lets say Oak coloured for arguments sake. and I’d like them not to weight too little and feel cheap, other than that I don’t really know what I’m looking for.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Are they standard sizes ?

Howdens do a decent range of standard size internal doors but lots of timber merchants will make doors to custom sizes.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Are they standard sizes ?

I’d think so, it’s a typically 70s Semi, everything seems to be standard.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Standard for the 70’s when decimalisation was optional in the construction industry?

Measure the width of the doors and compare them with the sizes on Howdens / Wickes / B&Q websites to see if you can swap them for modern standard sizes.

The thickness of the door matters too unless you want to be altering the door checks as well.

grtdkad

Howdens fitted here recently x10
    Contemporary-style oak doors inc a fire door on the kitchen. Pretty happy with them https://www.howdens.com/joinery/doors?door_location=Internal&colour=Oak

trailwagger
    Free Member

Got mine from here, good price and nice doors

https://www.building-supplies-online.co.uk/

globalti
    Free Member

We are buying ours in MDF, primed white for painting this time around. The same 4 panel style that we had for our last house refurb in a wood veneer.

Here: https://www.doorstore.co.uk/product/contemporary-doors/contemporary-4-panel-white-primed-door-40mm/4576-660/

edhornby

We have a local DIY who does Doors, they are really good if you are N Manchester

relionus-diy.co.uk

I’d agree with Perchy though, get a tape measure on all of them and ideally a right angle/spirit level as well

yetidave
    Free Member

we purchased on account from a company called Finewood joinery products. But the doors are available in many places, but buying through a joiner saved about 40% on rrp. House is 1960s ish and every door is a different size and importantly shape..if you measuring yourself, measure in a number of different places, and the diagonals etc.

nickdavies

I’ve got a 70’s semi. My kitchen has 3 internal doors lined up in a row. There is 20mm difference in width and height on both dimensions across them. No other doors measure the same. Don’t assume they’re standard, I ended up keeping the old ones cos I couldn’t get any cheap ones that fitted!!

Daffy

I chose LPD doors for our place and had them supplied untreated from Leader and oiled them myself. Each of the doors was 44kg. These were solid wood with a 3mm veneer on the faces and 20mm solid on the edges.

Very few solid oak doors are actually solid. There are a few, but they usually start at around £400.

Daffy

I’ve got a 70’s semi. My kitchen has 3 internal doors lined up in a row. There is 20mm difference in width and height on both dimensions across them. No other doors measure the same. Don’t assume they’re standard, I ended up keeping the old ones cos I couldn’t get any cheap ones that fitted!!

My house (70s detached) was similar. Of the 11 doors, only 5 were approximately standard and even those needed work. In the end I replaced 9 door frames to get them square and consistent.

project
    Free Member

Been fitting doors for a long time now,and every customer says theyre just standard sizes,i
    have yet to know what a standard size is,here are Metric doors,taller and fatter on thickness than an imperial door, 80 inches high,and imperial doors, thinner and usually 78 or 80 inches high, 24 27 30 32 or 33 wide, then there are a few homes with 29 inch door openings.

Most of the Oak doors are a chipboard core,slightly lighter than the MDF core doors, both have their problems with veneer lift,veneer spliting at edges, thin side lippings,intolerance to some varnishes/stains oils,add on the weight, are your frames solid and not split,will they take weight of the doors,and finally the MDF core doors, once youve put a screw into the side, the very long screws required will sometimes pull out, re splinting them doesnt always work just splits the door open even further, think putting your finger in between the pages of a book , it can easily be pulled out and makes the book thicker.

When you go to buy a door or doors, easure the opening size of frame, and remember the lipping thickness, plane to much off and your through to the pine frame or mdf, looks terrible, take door out of rack carefully theyre heavy, tilt on side and look at short edge top or bottom, and you can see the lipping and the softwood frame usually, may need to remove the plastic bumper first.

Finally ask your fitter if they have fitted oak faced doors before, and how many they have done and any problems they have had.

db

Howdens for us but our fitter said don’t use their hardware as it’s ****. So hinges and handles were sourced elsewhere.

Fitted a couple of years ago and look great

DT78
    Free Member

Bookmarked

BigJohn

Magnet is often cheaper than B&Q if you have an account. Easy to mock up a letterhead to open an account and last time I opened one there I got a £60 case of Reisser screws free. Fantastic bonus. Best screws I/ve used – better than Spax.

stumpyjon

Bought our oak veneer doors through Screwfix, Jeld-Wen, there’s quite a range of styles, glazed and unglazed.

null

More than happy, range of sizes for each style. Delivered straight from the manufacturer. Our 2001 house does have ‘standard’ doors, still needed a lot of trimming to fit though, some went straight in, others needed 15mm taking off. The door frames were not installed well.

I finished them using a commercial 2 part finish, lovely Matt effect, they dont look coated but water bobbles up on them rather than soaks in. Unfortunately it came in an unmarked tin. Some people don’t treat them but they will get grubby around handles. Used screwfix hardware, Smith and Locke, assume it’s their house brand, again worked fine.

Sui
    Free Member

All my doors are XL-Joinery doors – in white Oak. They are bloomin heavy and i’ve had a number f people in the house that love them. Paid ~£150 each for my Ravenna ones;

https://www.doorsuperstore.co.uk/product/xl-joinery-internal-oak-ravenna-contemporary-grooved-flush-door-30-x-78.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA1L_xBRA2EiwAgcLKA178q9fmUbBzd_U4b6BUgpKJW76xIjykyJ6kxP4Kc8SLJLZTXaRLwRoCbXMQAvD_BwE

Project is right though, if you want “proper solid” 1, they will be ££££, 2, you may need to put some extra fixings on the frame (even these XL ones need it), 3, probably want min 3 hinges per door (always sold in bloomin pairs). 4, you need to be careful selcting door sizing and not shaving off too much of the outer edge/veneer with no solid i.e. equal amounts all round is correct way if you need to take off a lot.

Other than that, the XL ones are very good doors, i’ve got 10 singles and 2 doubles, 1 double is glass insert.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Internal Doors, where do you buy yours?’ is closed to new replies.