Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Interior decor conundrum
  • DezB
    Free Member

Only a minor one 🙂 I can’t hold the painting to check where would be best.
    Diagram represents wall where this painting is going. White is the understair cupboard door. Yeah, I wish it wasn’t there, but it is. Black is the telly.
    Does it go centrally over
    (1) The telly (probably not) but just to show I criminally own a tv
    (2) Centrally, measuring the whole wall
    (3) Centrally on the main part of the wall discounting the understairs door

Hoping for a diverse range of opinions so I can take a guess. Or maybe choose a different wall 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, there’s a pic of my old dog over the understair door. Maybe should’ve included that. Hang on.
    Might make a difference

fooman

Bigger telly to obscure painting, problem solved.

grum
    Free Member

Somewhere else entirely imo

nbt

4) centrally between edge of TV and edge of wall

DezB
    Free Member

grum

Somewhere else entirely imo

Someone else’s house would probably be better yeah.

tjagain

Not centralised to anything ( probably) I probably would be putting it 2/3 of the way across the whole wall But very unsure. Its move it around until I found a space where the proportions of wall around it looked right daft tho that sounds.

DezB
    Free Member

Then it would behind the door when it opened 😆
    I knew this would go well.

superlightstu
    Free Member

on the understair cupboard door, centrally aligned (vertical axis) with the dog picture and the top of the picture horizontally aligned with your eyes in a seated position. It conceals the door, visually extends the picture framing due to the door’s colour and you don’t strain your neck whilst staring at it. Sorted!

dc1988

The TV needs to be central on the main part of the wall

DezB
    Free Member

If I moved the TV, I either couldn’t open the door to get in/out of the room or, I’d have to move the tv every time I opened the understair door (it’s where the vacuum is kept, so quite rare, but you know, would still be a pain)

scotroutes

To the right of the TV. Left edge roughly at the right edge of the white box.

DezB
    Free Member

Left edge roughly at the right edge of the white box

That’s a very dark corner behind the open door. It’s a nice picture.

scotroutes

Shut the bloody door then.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s still dark 🙁

nickc

centrally to the wall ignoring telly position

sc-xc

Could you bku tack a similarly sized pic in the various positions to give you an idea?

timmys

3 for me, but I’m mainly posting to say congratulations on being able to put a picture above the TV in the first place. It seems 90% of the cretinous population want to mount their TV at standing height and wouldn’t be able to do that.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just take a picture of the painting, use it as a screensaver on the telly and throw the original away. Job jobbed.

DezB
    Free Member

Yes! Blu-tac idea! Thanks sc-xc 😀

Cougar

… is the right answer.

If I moved the TV, I either couldn’t open the door to get in/out of the room or

Your diagram is pissed, then. From the picture it looks like your TV needs to move to the right (as we look at it) to centralise it, your explanation sounds like you’d need to move it left.

Cougar

Yes! Blu-tac idea! Thanks sc-xc 😀

Coming soon to STW: the “what glue for reassembling a dropped picture frame” thread. (-:

andrewh
    Free Member

It’s a nice picture.

It’s just four stripes, even I could do that!

DezB
    Free Member

even I could do that

Ah, but you’ve got to have the idea

ps. the diagram was not to scale 😛

wooobob

Put the picture on the front of the TV and flip it behind when you have someone visit who needs to watch telly.

joshvegas
    Free Member

ceiling

nickc

… is the right answer.

No, it’ll look wrong, paintings should be measured JUST to the wall they’re on…ignore what’s in the room. If you change the telly and it’s a different size, you’ll end up having to move the painting, and from every other aspect the painting will be in the wrong place..Just measure the wall, put the picture in the middle of it.  Failing that, do it in thirds (again aligning with the wall, not what’s in the room)

avdave2

nickc is right. I was at a friends last week helping her put up pictures and my take on it is you only line up with immovable objects, everything else can and probably will change. Not that I’d personally put a picture above a tv anyway.

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, looks best in the middle of the whole wall. That’s (2) for all those who ignored my handy numbering system! 😀
    But it actually looks better on the wall at 90deg to that wall (cos of the telly)… I think I’d prefer it above the telly due to being more visible though. OH I don’t frickin know! Gonna bung it up and move it around occassionally I reckon :S

BigJohn

Balance is more important than symmetry.

johnx2
    Free Member

Hoping for a diverse range of opinions so I can take a guess.

…whilst expecting seven pages, descent into culture wars, and a fistfight?

It’s about balance, harmony, Feng Shui ya bastids

maccruiskeen

Centre of the picture approx halfway between the centre line of the telly and the edge of the wall

maccruiskeen

I can’t hold the painting to check where would be best.

Get some command strip hooks – allow yourself a few trial positions without marking the wall

maccruiskeen

Not that I’d personally put a picture above a tv anyway.

I would but it depends on what it is (I could go into my long thesis about artworks that are ‘here’ and artworks that are ‘there’)

In my eyes TVs are sort of invisible  – you don’t look at them you look through them to something else. So in a domestic setting (I used to build galleries and install art works for a living) I don’t really think a telly is an important feature in a room. So long as its not actually in the way of anything else just decorate your room as if it isn’t there

………

unless you’re one of those weirdos who mounts their telly on the wall like its some sort of work of art 🙂

If you’ve got it in some sort of niche or alcove like a wayside shrine then theres nothing that can be said or done to help you.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Centre the telly in the space remaining from the cupboard door, place pics against wall according to rule of thirds.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

From the options you’ve given, position 1 is best best, as positions 2 and 3 are close enough to the centre line to just be annoying that they’re not actually on it.

Either move telly or supposing you can’t, consider a position 4 that is sufficiently off-centre of the telly to not be constantly annoying

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

if that’s the cupboard under the stairs, where in the scheme of things are the stairs?

maccruiskeen

if that’s the cupboard under the stairs, where in the scheme of things are the stairs?

By definition the stairs will always be above the cupboard under the stairs 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, the other side of that wall.

Centre of the wall is damn close to centre of telly in fact (the blu-tac trick helped with that), so it’s going there.
    Thanks all 😊

espressoal
    Free Member

A painting beside a tv? competing? no..can’t do that, just wrong on so many levels.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Interior decor conundrum’ is closed to new replies.