Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • Interesting unknown engineering landmarks in the uk
  • gonetothehills
    Free Member

Truly an excellent thread – well done everyone. Quite inspiring stuff. My thoughts (before seeing other posts) were also:
    [*]The Mersey Viaduct in Stockport – you just want to count the bricks – it's staggering![/*]
    [*]Winter Hill – anything you can see for so far around is an achievement in itself.[/*]
    [*]The tunnels under the likes of Liverpool, Manchester and of course London – weird when you think about it.[/*]
    [*]Ladybower reservoir, and everything that goes with it.[/*]
    [*]The M62 betwixt Manchester and Leeds – fascinating to think how they built it.[/*]

However – what about these (from where I grew up)

Some seriously old engineering at Maiden Castle (and there's a bridleway along one edge of it, IIRC.)

Head north west on bridleways along the Ridgeway and you get to Hardy's Monument (Admiral, not the author)

Just visible from the monument (if you look South) is Portland Harbour – impressive in itself, but home to remnants of the Mulberry Harbours used around D-Day.

Great stuff – thanks again, OP.

porterclough
    Free Member

Nuclear Structure Facility, Daresbury, Cheshire:

Harry_the_Spider

Emley Moor Mast

…and the one that went before it that came down in bad weather.

ononeorange

Thnaks Matthewjb and skiboy. Never knew it was there, and not far from me too.

Reading about building the Wapping tunnel (the first tunnel under water) was quite something. How do you rescue a tunnel that's been breached by the river abopve using basic tools? Good old Brunels.

cassin
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

Here's my little contribution. It's a disused wind pump near Winchester.

cinnamon_girl

Can I make another polite request for kind folk to organise rides so as we can enjoy these structures? A culture ride, as it were.

Thank you so much. 😀

Talkemada
    Free Member

But these are dotted all over the country, Cinnamon Girl. It would be a bloody long ride to include them all! 😯

Regional rides could be a good idea; routes that string together several local landmarks, that folk could join up to ride.

A London one would be fantastic. Why hasn't someone thought of that before, I wonder?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

(Lowey)Thirlmere Aquaduct. Amazing bit of Victorian Engineering. Water is never pumped. Gravity all the way from Thirlmere to Lostock. Takes 4 days.

that's what I wanted to put too! It actually runs near Lancaster, though I haven't seen it, but I did spot a pipe syphon from the train near Kendal which is either it or the Haweswater aqueduct. For some reason I've not been able to find an accuate map of its course so I can photograph nearby features 🙁

cinnamon_girl

I'm trying to encourage people to organise one in any part of the country! Nothing interesting where I live but am pretty busy with organising forum rides anyway!

One was organised at short notice over Easter, it sounded really good but I couldn't make it.

Would definitely be interested if it was Southern, South West, Midlands areas. Volunteers please?

Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.robedwards.com/2009/08/faslane-poses-risk-of-societal-contamination-says-mod.html

The ship lift at HMNB Clyde Faslane and its associated rail system of craddles can be seen from the hills around Gare Loch.

brassneck

How about Crofton Beam Engines? Oldest steam engine in the world still capable of performing the job it was built for.

Last summer, the electric pumps on the K&A broke down, and the volunteers fired up the engines to rescue stranded boaters.. I think British Waterways should just pay for them to run every weekend as a sort of hot stand by.

Can I make another polite request for kind folk to organise rides so as we can enjoy these structures? A culture ride, as it were.

I did and nobody turned up.
    If anyone's still interested in seeing the UK's longest steam railway, the UK's only inland funicular railway, the UK's only current driven ferry and the Elan valley pipeline crossing the Severn on it's way to Brum all on one 35km ride, I'll give it another go.
    The ground's drying up now. I'll check my diary and pick a Sunday when I'm not trailquesting or racing and see who else can make it.

cinnamon_girl

MilitantGraham – oh, that must have been disappointing for you. 🙁

Do post up another date but with plenty of notice please. 😀

lowey
    matt_outandabout

Great thread. I am slowly exploring all this local to us, amazing feat(s) of engineering through the 40'-60's.
    54 power stations, 78 dams and 300km+ of rock tunnels built….One book I read claims that a 3 mile tunnel, dug from both ends at once was less that 1/2" off maximum in any direction – remember this was all sighted and measured by eye and theodolite.
    Who said 'green energy' is new or innovative – it is simple engineering.
    Clicky for PDF of more.
    [img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4490407235_2dbfb7a856_b.jpg[/img]

matt_outandabout

Oh, and if anyone wants a ride to see a few, then my Hydro / Scotaland ride would be a goer…

muddy@rseguy

er, possibly quite well known this one but as I've been lucky enough to be allowed inside I can testify its as cool as a Bond villains lair:-)

The MacLaren HQ in Woking.

The London Array…who says wind turbines look horrible?

and also for some reason the M6 at Shap…possibly cos it leads to some ace mountain biking territory

Karinofnine

Wow – I was supposed to be vacuuming this afternoon, but have spent it looking at this thread. Fascinating, and I haven't managed to look at all the links properly – yet.

Here's a little one that fascinates me: The New River, runs from Hertford into North London, supplying drinking water. Originally ran by gravity but now some pumped sections.

The New River

If you go into Whitewebbs Park (Waltham Cross area, Herts) you can still see parts of the original river AND, still there, but not used (sorry, getting excited) – an iron acqueduct or flash.

One of the pumping stations is now Whitewebbs Museum.

How cool is this?

It's very very exciting isn't it? I love all this kind of stuff. I'm going to lie down now.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I think that Skerryvore lighthouse trumps Bell Rock. A few year later, more exposed, bigger, equally epic effort to build it.

There's also a great little museum on Tiree at Hynish and in summer you can go on boat trips for the 20 mile each way trip to Skerryvore.

In the distance:
    http://www.tireeimages.com/detail/surfers-skerryvore-01.html

coolhandluke
    Free Member

It never ceases to amaze me how they'd have built this (these actually as there are two of them)
    Ladybower reservoir overflow holes.

Apparently a bloke wanted a water chute ride one day so went down one.

Water chute FAIL.

Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)

The topic ‘Interesting unknown engineering landmarks in the uk’ is closed to new replies.