Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 222 total)
  • Interesting unknown engineering landmarks in the uk
  • aP
    Free Member

At least a half of the Tube is above ground, some sections of tunnels on the Northern Line date back to the late 1890s – in the 20s they increased the tunnels whilst the trains still ran – right up until there was a collapse. Some of the original tunnel remains at Kennington. I've been in a room there with a small hatch on a wall which no one knew where it went to -opened it, looked out aaassrrggghhhh! Train!
    Stockwell has the remnants of the inclined railway that led to a surface level depot where the trains were stabled – until you guessed it, there was runaway.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Just posted this on the Castles thread. But it's definitely an engineering landmark as well. Horse Sand Fort.

It is 240 foot (73 m) across, built between 1865 and 1880, with two floors and a basement, armour plated all round.

Stoner
    Free Member

Not in the UK any more, but came from here, now languishing on the French coast, what's left of it:
    The Mulberry Port – temporary quay for Operation Overlord. The scale of the engineering and deployment is unimaginable!

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2009/06/d-day-after/
    What's left of it:

nickhart
    Free Member

ok i see your tunnels and i raise you with the totley tunnel. the longest non electrified tunnel in the uk.
    it's unlikely anyone will have seen it but plenty will have travelled through it. it takes peeps from sheffield to the peaks and runs under blacka moor and totley moss. the strange turrets on top of the moors are to vent steam and smoke and probably some air pressure too.
    i'll second tinsley viaduct too.
    int our country great!

rootes1

Yep Inverkip looks great on the coast in that part of the world, shame it never really produced much power – bad luck opening an oil fired power station at the height of the oil crisis… anyway it is still be stripped for spares for other stations – did a transformer move assessment a few years ago

yossarian
    Free Member

one from our french chums

rootes1

one from our french chums

yep Millau viaduct – awesome plus English architect

another view when completed

rkk01
    Free Member

Levant Mine, Cornwall

Most of the workings are under the sea bed – and reputedly the miners would follow the lodes upwards until they could here the pebbles rolling around on the sea bed above their heads….!!

This might sound like an anachronistic fariy story – but the sea did breach into the Levant workings, through a known area of weakness that had been worked to close below the sea bed.

Amazingly the hole in the sea bed was located and sealed in the early 1960s, using a combination of divers, pioneering civil / mining engineering and big pumps!

The work allowed Geevor mine to pump out and re-open Levant. I worked on the site in the early 90s when Geevor was closing – fascinating bit of history / engineering and not well known outside of mining engineering circles.

More info here…Levant Breach

Sadly Levant is also known for one of Cornwall's worst mining disasters (and not due to the sea coming in!!). 31 men died when the man engine collapsed throwing the men down the shaft

leggyblonde
    Free Member

yep Millau viaduct – awesome plus English architect

Grrrrr, that really annoys me! Bridges like the Millau are amazing from an engineering point of view, but because a famous bloke drew a curving line over a valley, everyone bangs on about the architect. I genuinely feel sorry for the unsung hero engineers on that project.

rkk01
    Free Member

Staying with mining in west Cornwall –

Crowns Engine House, Botallack. Better known than Levant, but an impressive location.

rootes1

Grrrrr, that really annoys me! Bridges like the Millau are amazing from an engineering point of view, but because a famous bloke drew a curving line over a valley, everyone bangs on about the architect. I genuinely feel sorry for the unsung hero engineers on that project.

yep true, but the french seem to miss the point that the english were involve.. architects as you say seem to get the headlines.. but that as an architect ones told be is because architecture is an art, whereas engineering is a science..

either way still an amazing bridge.

rootes1

quite like the old london hydraulic accumulator sets up after findingout about them… savoy hotel lift powered from an accumalutor miles away for example thay also had a water powered vaccum cleaner system until 1937..

ononeorange

Millau is amazing, I managed last year to go through the access way inside the thing (it's underneath the road and is suprisingly roomy). In fact it's incredible how big the whole thing is, as written above the engineers did an amazing job and they are rightly proud of it. When they pushed the two parts of the bridge together and met them up in the middle, they put a large bottle of champagne between them and broke it as they finally joined up.

ocrider

When they pushed the two parts of the bridge together and met them up in the middle, they put a large bottle of champagne between them and broke it as they finally joined up.

[sarcasm] That was the Belgians, but of course the French seem to miss the point that they were involved [/sarcasm]

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

BTs retired Goon Hilly

Arthur, now a listed structure.

cuckoo
    Free Member

High Peak Junction and it's pump house, also Middleton Top on the High Peak Trail – make a nice little bike ride between the two.

And a pair of aqueducts over both a river and a railway, which is somehow rather satisfying. Oh and a nice enough tunnel too.

Some facts from wikipedia on the line The Cromford & High Peak railway…

The steepest adhesion worked incline of any line in the country (1 in 14 at Hopton)

The sharpest curve, 55 yards (50 m) radius through eighty degrees at Gotham

The highest line in England at Ladmanlow, a height of 1,266 feet (386 m).

Also 3 inclines less than 1 in 10

Here's a few pics taken from a ride up there this winter.

Sheep pastures incline

The tunnel

Bunsall incline

Evesie
    Free Member

The lead smelting flues & chimneys, the remains of which are all over the Dales & Northumberland impress me. Flues were several km's long. Good examples are around Allenheads & Rookhope. Come to think of it – anything involving historical mining, what is left behind & the conditions they worked in facinates me – should I seek help…..

ononeorange

Evesie – no, you're in good hands here……!

Evesie
    Free Member

Mountain bikes are such a good way to get out & see all the disused indusrial archeology lying around in the more remote areas of the countryside – another excuse to get out & ride.
    The mines, leats, dams & impressive quantities of unwanted rock neatly layed out like hands & fingers at Greenside mine near Glenriding is a not so remote example.

Bream
    Free Member

Swarkestone Bridge just south of Derby has always impressed me.

Cut/paste from wiki:

Swarkestone Causeway The mediaeval Swarkestone Causeway was built in the late 13th/ early 14th century to cross the floodplain of the Trent. It has been reinforced and rebuilt in 18th and 19th centuries and still carries the busy A514 Derby to Melbourne road.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I'm surprised that This website hasn't been mentioned yet.

finbar
    Free Member

Ladybower Reservoir has been mentioned already, but i think we should have a picture:

CountZero

Just loving this thread so much. What a wealth of fantastic structures we have in this country. Great stuff.

alex222
    Free Member

no one has mentioned RAF Menwith hill or RAF Fylingdales.

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Magnus Production Platform. At the time the largest jacket built in the UK (40,000 tons) at Nigg in Scotland – then transported out and has been there in production since then in some pretty foul weather…. A snip at £1.1bn build cost.

Not too easy to see by bike, I grant you, but pretty impressive!

aracer
    Free Member

or if we're doing foreign things, I think this one is easily older than anything else on this thread (and we've ridden the tandem across it as a means to get from one place to another).

aracer
    Free Member

Though here's a feat of engineering in the UK which is a bit older than that, and has all sorts of interest as a bike trip

Wow, that Ladybower Reservoir picture. 😯
    I can just imagine a canoeist paddling like mad while getting dragged slowly backwards towards it…

tangent
    Free Member

brilliant response…like em all…answered first, thought about canal engineering , however after revieingv the geogrpahies I'd now propose that our O.S. maps are the greatest (civil) enginering 'landmark' of them all…(discuss / dispute if u like…)

alex222
    Free Member

that depends on how you define landmark

donsimon
    Free Member

Great thread, plenty of things I've forgotten about, some things I've seen and plenty I've never seen.
    I've just found this, I don't know how well known it is though.

Newport Transporter Bridge, more info here.

Harry_the_Spider

Anderton Boat Lift.

skiboy
    Free Member

Diamond light source, chilton ox

made and built some of the beamlines myself, quite proud,

manufactured parts for th LHC at Cern as well 😛

ononeorange

Skiboy – what is that – can you expand a little please?

Talkemada
    Free Member

My mate's wife has a mug with a picture of Newport Transporter Bridge on it. I covet it.

The mug, not my mate's wife…

mamadirt
    Free Member

Another Newport Transporter Bridge pic . . .

Sadly no longer in regular use due to new distributor road . . . damn progress 🙁 .
    Also walked across the Bilbao (iirc) transporter bridge on a fairly recent hol to Spain.

Incredible thread btw 8)

skiboy
    Free Member

ononeorange,

that website expains it better than i ever could,

here's some early build pictures of the buisness end of the optics hutch beamline, pre-test etc,

doing this for a living pays for plenty of this,

😀

forgive the iphone pics, it is my day off

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Hambledon hill. I ride over it quite often. Lovely on a summer evening at sunset, you can see all the way to the somerset levels.

Salisbury cathedral. Not that unknown, but interesting to know that at 123m tall it's still in the top 20 tallest buildings in the UK. Especially considering it was built in 1400. It's the tallest medieval buiding in the world.

cinnamon_girl

Can I just make a little plea for local riders to organise Forum Rides so as we can all enjoy these structures?

For anyone that's a bit worried about organising, please don't be!!

MilitantGraham is doing a sterling job with the Severn Valley but unfortunately it was too short notice for me.

Looking forward to the next one in the South 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 222 total)

The topic ‘Interesting unknown engineering landmarks in the uk’ is closed to new replies.