Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Interesting reasonably fuel efficient car that will carry a bike…
  • solamanda
    Free Member

A 335D estate will do 36mpg average driving with the occasional fun or around 30-32 ‘flat out’.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Room for kids, bike and kit? Check.

Nippy and drinks fuel? Check.

Loud cans? Check.

Torque steer? Check.

Holds its value? Ah…

But otherwise – I can’t see that there’s any other options out there. 😉

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

davosaurusrex – Member
    [/quote]Just a thought but do you know how strict your firm are with the rules? My firm has similar rules but they are routinely ignored. I know guys driving astra vans over 10 years old who have been trousering the cash for years.

I’m looking into this quietly, as I’d be happy to keep the golf, it won’t loose much more money for a start and will do 35ish with the run type driving I’m doing.

hot_fiat

@Pimpmaster: Bro-in-law has a Meriva VXR with a 220brake Thorney map (it’s a 1.6 corsa VXR in a Meriva body). Now that is a bonkers little car: 0-60 in 6.5, leaves the abarth for dust, but still manages 35mpg on a run. Seriously underrated piece of kit.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve been test driving a few cars recently, some of which would satisfy your criteria (although only the S4 and golf could be described as “interesting”).

A6 3.0 S Line – most recent version, you can get a 2011 within budget. Big, but fast for its size. The new A6 feels a millions times better than the previous version. Not exciting, but very quick and a lovely place to spend some time.

Golf R – new one comes within your budget. I loved it, but mrs PF says it made me look like a ned.

S4 – 2010 comes within budget. Seems to tick all the boxes. Fuel economy is rubbish though (seems to be mostly 20-25mpg), which gives something like a 335i a slight advantage if you can’t split them otherwise

335i/335d – 2008-2010 will be within budget. Great fun, but come out of a 5 series or A6 and get into one…it’s like leaving the Waldorf and checking in to an Ibis. The new (2012) onwards is much better inside, but you’ll struggle to get a decent engine in budget. I had my heart set on one of these when I first started my search, but after having been in the A6/530, it just felt a bit naff and pokey.

530d – you can actually pick up the F10 within budget. Incredible car, I loved it. The only thing stopping me from buying it is that it’s just so bland and salesrep looking. I was completely sold on it though…until I got in the S4 anyway!

pixelmix
    Free Member

VW Scirocco fan here. Ours is the 140 TDI, but you could get the 2.0 TSI (which is the same enginge as the Mk6 GTI) or the R. Handling is pretty good for a FWD car, as it is short, low and wide – I think you’ll find it handles better than your Golf. I have roof bars now that we have a young son, but when his seat isn’t in, you can easily get a bike in the boot with just the front wheel off.

Alternatively, the Mk7 GTI is a bit more economical than the Mk5/6 (at least on paper), partly due to stop/start. We looked at 2nd hand Mk6 Ed35s, but as they cost almost as much as a Mk7 GTI and will cost more to run, we’ve just ordered a Mk7 instead.

Unfortunately, the bike carrying requirement will rule out most more interesting things (unless you want to run a rack on the back of your Porsche?!)

rkk01
    Free Member

Been looking at BMW’s new i3

(although haven’t yet been able to arrange a test drive)

Satisfies “interesting” on so many different levels…!

hot_fiat

As seen at Cannock on Saturday

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

@Pimpmaster: Bro-in-law has a Meriva VXR with a 220brake Thorney map (it’s a 1.6 corsa VXR in a Meriva body). Now that is a bonkers little car: 0-60 in 6.5, leaves the abarth for dust, but still manages 35mpg on a run. Seriously underrated piece of kit.

It’s only a semi-serious knock – I perversely quite like them. I know the Astra VXR had torque steer problems at 200+bhp (I believe there’s an engine management workaround), but there’s something quite pleasing about a really practical wagon that goes like stink. Just a shame (or not, as the case maybe) that they depreciate like a stone.

Sui
    Free Member

There was a Gallardo at BPW the other week!

oi PF, stop knocking the 5 series!

peterfile
    Free Member

oi PF, stop knocking the 5 series!

Ha! I said I loved it! It’s just that if I look out of my window I can see 30 of them 🙁

richmtb

M135i every day of the week

Stupid leasing deals around at the moment that are less than £300 per month

Failing that one of the new Golf Mk7 based VAG rocket ships. Take your pick from Cupra 280, Golf R or Audi S3. All the MK7 based stuff is actually pretty economical (relatively speaking)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ha! I said I loved it! It’s just that if I look out of my window I can see 30 of them

Have you got a very big garden?

molgrips
    Free Member

My mate likes to drive but also needs space. He recently got an Alfa of some kind, large estate with V5 diesel, 210bhp.

peterfile
    Free Member

M135i every day of the week

Stupid leasing deals around at the moment that are less than £300 per month

That ship sailed months ago unfortunately.

_tom_
    Free Member

Sorry to jump on this but I was just about to make a similar thread, seems pointless having two! Whats the general view on leasing as opposed to finance? Just wondering as finance seems to work out a bit cheaper per month but with lease you dont have to worry about any depreciation etc which is a concern for me considering I do about 25-30k miles a year for work.

Also I think I may be going for a Focus, which is the funnest model that will still get a decent mpg without spending more than £9k on it? Any other suggestions as well, I currently drive a Fiesta Zetec S which is fun enough for me but only gets about 40mpg if I’m careful with the right foot.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

[/quote]I’ve been test driving a few cars recently, some of which would satisfy your criteria (although only the S4 and golf could be described as “interesting”).
    A6 3.0 S Line – most recent version, you can get a 2011 within budget. Big, but fast for its size. The new A6 feels a millions times better than the previous version. Not exciting, but very quick and a lovely place to spend some time.
    Golf R – new one comes within your budget. I loved it, but mrs PF says it made me look like a ned.
    S4 – 2010 comes within budget. Seems to tick all the boxes. Fuel economy is rubbish though (seems to be mostly 20-25mpg), which gives something like a 335i a slight advantage if you can’t split them otherwise
    335i/335d – 2008-2010 will be within budget. Great fun, but come out of a 5 series or A6 and get into one…it’s like leaving the Waldorf and checking in to an Ibis. The new (2012) onwards is much better inside, but you’ll struggle to get a decent engine in budget. I had my heart set on one of these when I first started my search, but after having been in the A6/530, it just felt a bit naff and pokey.
    530d – you can actually pick up the F10 within budget. Incredible car, I loved it. The only thing stopping me from buying it is that it’s just so bland and salesrep looking. I was completely sold on it though…until I got in the S4 anyway!

Good experiences/ideas thanks. That’s the issue I’m having, finding interior of 5 series or xf so much better than 3 series or any golf-ish vag pocket rocket that I get led to that direction, ten lead myself away because I don’t need all that space. Sending myself round in circles!

pixelmix
    Free Member

Good experiences/ideas thanks. That’s the issue I’m having, finding interior of 5 series or xf so much better than 3 series or any golf-ish vag pocket rocket that I get led to that direction, ten lead myself away because I don’t need all that space. Sending myself round in circles!

Driving a Scirocco, and having driven a new Golf, I’d be put off 5 series size cars by the handling. Having driven an A6 avant for the day, it felt like a barge compared to our Scirocco. Fine if you like going fast in a straight line, but you would definitely enjoy Golf R/S3/135 more if you like the twisty bits I reckon.

The Germans do fast big cars well, but you can only defy the laws of physics so far…

TheFlyingOx

finance seems to work out a bit cheaper per month but with lease you dont have to worry about any depreciation

Eh?
    At the end of the lease you own nothing. At the end of finance you’ve got a car you can sell, depreciation or not.

The only way I’d ever lease a car would be if I was given the money from work with a caveat, as OP seems to have been.

Daffy

Z4M coupe? 350bhp, 30mpg on a run, 2 sears and a boot big enough for a 29er.

_tom_
    Free Member

At the end of the lease you own nothing. At the end of finance you’ve got a car you can sell, depreciation or not.

I thought the point was after two years you upgraded to a new car on a new lease etc so you’re always changing for something newer.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

As above… No way I’d be having this conversation if I wasn’t given a car allowance with the caveats on age.
    Much better to have a car at circa 7yo that’s done most of its depreciating (like my golf).

Z4m is a good shout, had no idea a bike would squeeze in!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A friend had the original Z4 fitted 2 bikes on a boot rack, it was a perfect biking car handled anything without tarmac uncomfortably and had that bambi look in a wet muddy field.

hot_fiat

Private plate the golf, lie and pocket the cash?

Daffy

The catch is, you’d have to find a 59 plate model…I’ve only seem them registered as late as 09.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not generally a lover of BMWs, but that Z4M is gorgeous.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’d be put off 5 series size cars by the handling. Having driven an A6 avant for the day, it felt like a barge compared to our Scirocco.

Have you had a shot in a 5 Series rather than an A6? You might be surprised. My older 5 Series had an amazing ability to feel stable at a cruise while still being amazingly fun and agile on twisty roads when required. Coming from Imprezas and an old VW Corrado for reference as knowing what a decent twisty road car handles like.

hooli

hot_fiat – Member
    Private plate the golf, lie and pocket the cash?

If only it was that easy, normally they ask for copies of V5, insurance docs, current MOT etc.

lodious
    Free Member

I’d get a 330D…test drove one a few weeks ago, they are really nice cars.

lodious
    Free Member

I want a Z4M…there is one on Autotrader for 12K, which looks nice. They look great.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Have you had a shot in a 5 Series rather than an A6?

Sadly not,. Using the barge like A6 as a reference point was probably a bit narrow minded. No doubt the A6 lovers will be along in a moment to tell me it handles brilliantly.

Z4 would be interesting. Rare enough and different enough to be interesting cars. I’m sure a bike will go, but I wonder how much of a faff it is?

We thought about a 1 (now 2) series too, but decided against the faff of the boot. A 1M or 135 could be a good giggle I suspect.

mboy
    Free Member

Have you had a shot in a 5 Series rather than an A6? You might be surprised. My older 5 Series had an amazing ability to feel stable at a cruise while still being amazingly fun and agile on twisty roads when required. Coming from Imprezas and an old VW Corrado for reference as knowing what a decent twisty road car handles like.

It’s a crap cliche I know, but 5 series shrink around you. I’ve driven a number of 5 series through the ranges E34, E39 and E60 (though not an F10 yet), and owned a couple too. Though they’re physically quite a big car, they always handle far better than they have any right to, and feel more like a 3 series to drive than you would imagine.

5 series also depreciate a lot faster than 3 series, so you can buy a lot more car for your money 2nd hand.

I feel the age related thing for your “company car” is a bit crap though, given they only give you an allowance per month rather than giving you a car to drive. Have known a couple of people get jobs like this, get told they must go out and get a car that’s under 5 years old for a mere £300 per month, then 3 months later they’ve been made redundant and the £10k car they just bought is worth £7500 now if they’re lucky! A bit of spit and polish, a £250 private plate, and would anyone know your Golf is as old as it is unless they looked at the V5?

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

It’s a crap cliche I know, but 5 series shrink around you. I’ve driven a number of 5 series through the ranges E34, E39 and E60 (though not an F10 yet), and owned a couple too. Though they’re physically quite a big car, they always handle far better than they have any right to, and feel more like a 3 series to drive than you would imagine.

5 series also depreciate a lot faster than 3 series, so you can buy a lot more car for your money 2nd hand.

I feel the age related thing for your “company car” is a bit crap though, given they only give you an allowance per month rather than giving you a car to drive. Have known a couple of people get jobs like this, get told they must go out and get a car that’s under 5 years old for a mere £300 per month, then 3 months later they’ve been made redundant and the £10k car they just bought is worth £7500 now if they’re lucky! A bit of spit and polish, a £250 private plate, and would anyone know your Golf is as old as it is unless they looked at the V5?

The more I’m asking around, the more this is an option. I don’t think anyone who cared would ever see my car!

I’m going to ask around, can always plead ignorance if needs be.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Interesting reasonably fuel efficient car that will carry a bike…’ is closed to new replies.