Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Interesting reasonably fuel efficient car that will carry a bike…
  • oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

I’ve got a 55 plate mk5 Golf GTI at present, but I’ll be getting a car allowance at work shortly.

Whatever I get has to be less than 5 years old at the point I buy it. Can spend upto 350pm so I was thinking of a 3 year PCP deal to make the best use of the car allowance (cant go longer than 3 as car will be too old for the work rules. Should see me looking for cars in the 17-22k area, less is obviously better, will spend for the right car if needs be.

Looking for something interesting that wont depreciate too hard, which would be easy if it didn’t have to be reasonable on fuel. (300 miles a week just getting to work, before social use). Doesn’t need to be brilliant on fuel, the emphasis is more on the interesting car, than the fuel efficient. Over 30mpg average, 35+ on a run will be fine.

The other thing is it needs to be capable of carrying a bike, and a pushchair (not at the same time), wether that in the car, on the roof or with a stealth towbar. The Mrs has the big baby wagon, I just need to drop him off with his pram occasionally. Don’t need more than 2 seats, I don’t think the rear seats on my golf have been up ever in the last 6 months.

Only 1 bike as if i’m going with friends it goes in their cars. I generally only drive 4-5 miles to meet with them.

I’d love a cayman S or an M3, but both too heavy on fuel I fear. Jag XF 3.0 S diesel interest me, lovely inside and drive well, but way bigger than I need (not really an issue, but seems a waste when I want something fun-ish.

I suppose one interesting idea is getting something so good at depreciation, it makes it worth using up extra fuel…

Suggestions welcome!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Skoda Octavia TDi? 50-65mpg? Does the TfD support fine 🙂

Baby & Missus whats the need for something childish 🙂

wilburt
    Free Member

Whirlpool 1200…sorry something German probably, with good aircon, a dab radio and nice cup holders other than that what does it matter?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

not really after a 140bhp octavia to replace my 250bhp Golf GTI to be honest……

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yeah, I’m sure but why do you actually want a hot hatch to put a bike in and move a baby round in?

Just joking buy what you want but once you get into 50+mpg then 30 feels like tossing twenties out the window. Especially as much of the UK is traffic bound.

stumpy01

Audi TT? Dunno what the latest one is like, but the original one had a surprisingly large boot?
    VW SScirocco?
    BMW 1 series, although you’d need to check the pram in the boot requirement. Boot is pretty meagre.

Leon FR?

How about that new Toyota/Subaru coupe that they’ve done together? No idea on boot space, but easy enough to check out.

Dunno how they drive, but the Astra GTC looks nice.

njee20
    Free Member

Mk6 Golf GTI? May even get a mk7 GTD which will score very highly for fuel consumption.

singletrackmind

Octavia VRS Estate.

Moon – on – Stick. I want something that goes really really fast and does 60mpg, not going to happen .

Been in a couple of VRS Octavias . Both would do 50 – 55mpg whilst being driven within the posted speed limits, and not alot less whilst being driven progressively.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

I never said 50 or 60mpg…. her car does that quite nicely if We’re going a long way, and carries the baby and the bike 80% of the time as we just swap.

Mine just needs to be capable of carrying bike or baby separately on the odd occasion its necessary. I said fast interesting and over 30mpg!! As in not a v8 lol.

martymac

impreza wrx estate?

mboy
    Free Member

Just joking buy what you want but once you get into 50+mpg then 30 feels like tossing twenties out the window. Especially as much of the UK is traffic bound.

Without wishing to sound like the fun police, I couldn’t agree more! If I was driving more than 300 miles per week, just to get to work, a car that does 30mpg is likely to cost £40 a week more in fuel than one that does 50mpg! Buy what you want for sure, but I’d rather save that money and spend it on something else…

There’s plenty of “fun enough” cars out there that will do 50mpg+ and meet all your other criteria. A diesel, even on with miles on the clock, is more depreciation proof than any modern petrol car anyway, short of something made in very small numbers with a 7 figure price tag!

Octavia VRS diesel isn’t a bad shout, though plenty of others out there too. BMW 320D Touring would fit the bill too I expect, or if you managed to find one somehow, an Alpina D3.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Mercedes estate or Bmw estate. If not Discovery Diesel.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

250 bhp? Standard?

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

RaveyDavey – Member
    250 bhp? Standard?

That’s exactly what I was thinking… 200 at a push standard ain’t they?

smatkins1
    Free Member

BMW M135i, or lesser model in budget.
    Toyota GT 86, should be fun to drive.
    Golf R32, something a bit more special than your gti.
    Mitsubishi Evo X?

midlifecrashes

MX5, sorted.

dang100
    Free Member

there’s a 2012 BMW 328i on Parkers for 21k.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

no not standared, just a remap. 246bhp 318ft lbs torque.

Its not an easy car to replace as it ticks most boxes (I’d prefer RWD), just isnt new enough for me to keep it with works car rules…

jonnym92

Mk5 GTI is 200bhp standard. Stage 1/2 will see 250 mind.

130i/135i 1 series are supposed to be fun. Might fall short of your MPG criteria though.

The new Focus ST (2T ecoboost) could fit the bill. Possibly will depreciate more so than the German brands but to me it fulfils your criteria, estate versions could also be had.

Audi do a cracking 3.0tdi engine which can be had in the A4/5 etc. 240bhp 40+ mpg.. but it will not be as good as the Focus/your Golf.

ps. if you golf has sensible miles and is in good nick, let me know 😉

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

YGM Jonny!

I’m thinking something with a big diesel engine to be honest. anything else will feel like a downgrade, or not upgrade from the golf I already have!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Get in quick for a late 2009 Golf R32

geoffj

Toyota GT 86 +1

loddrik
    Free Member

An R32 or 130i won’t feel quick after your GTI. Plus neither are particularly fuel efficient.

TheFlyingOx

Toyota GT86 -1

Never have I been more underwhelmed by a car. The interior is like some awful mid-90’s poverty-spec Beemer, and needs its neck wringing to extract any fun out of it. It’s not even that quick. You might struggle with the bike/pram duties too.
    Diss credentials: my sister has the BRZ variant and after a thoroughly average test drive it took all my composure not to tell her she’d made a huge mistake.

Something like an Audi S3? Surprisingly quick and lots more power to be released with exhaust and remap, if that’s your thing.

aP
    Free Member

What town do you live in?
    Just so’s I can make sure I don’t go near it, whilst you ‘make progress’.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

What town do you live in?
    Just so’s I can make sure I don’t go near it, whilst you ‘make progress’.

Not sure how relevant this is, or who your supposed to be getting at. Are you suggesting brisk cars aren’t allowed? Or judging my driving from your keyboard?

Go clog up someone else’s thread.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

S3 is a decent suggestion, similar idea to the golf I’m happy with but more so… worth a look.

Agree with GT86’s being gutless, shame there is the basis of a good car there. 200bhp would be fine if it had any torque at all!

aP
    Free Member

Not sure how relevant this is, or who your supposed to be getting at. Are you suggesting brisk cars aren’t allowed? Or judging my driving from your keyboard?

Well, you’re talking about fast driving, you’re talking about 250+bhp cars, you’re talking about exciting driving…
    As an everyday cyclist, I’d say it’s pretty relevant.
    Obviously if you live in the north, I don’t care, you can do what you want.

nickewen
    Free Member

335i/d wagon. 300+ bhp and RWD. Probs get a late facelift e91 (12 plate) with lowish milee for that money. Finding a manual one may prove difficult tho

hot_fiat

Nearly new Alfa guilietta cloverleaf?
    New Audi s3 is meant to be bonkers quick but probably beyond your budget.

TheFlyingOx

OP – Make sure you post whatever you decide here prior to purchasing, just so aP can approve/disapprove accordingly.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Well, you’re talking about fast driving, you’re talking about 250+bhp cars, you’re talking about exciting driving…
    As an everyday cyclist, I’d say it’s pretty relevant.
    Obviously if you live in the north, I don’t care, you can do what you want.

I haven’t spoken about driving in any way shape or form. Go and womble somewhere else!
    I’m not entirely sure what is wrong with wanting a bit of power in my car, or what its got to do with you!

I’m sure I’ll meet you in the middle lane of a southern motorway at 65mph, with a clear inside lane one day. Get out of the thread, its obviously not for you!

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

335i/d wagon. 300+ bhp and RWD. Probs get a late facelift e91 (12 plate) with lowish milee for that money. Finding a manual one may prove difficult tho

Probably the best shout so far. If I could find a alpina B3 I’d be happy, but there isn’t many about!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I really like the GT-86/BRZ, however it’s going to feel gutless after your golf. I am considering one to replace my Celica which has similar power to the GT 86. I don’t know if your children need child seats but getting them in/out is a ball ache, the boot is reasonably wide but is very shallow however it can take a pram but once in notch else. I found the interior nice enough looking but the plastics are as Ox said poor. However after all that I like the way it drives and think they are good value overall (not the TRD kit though) it really does need more power but I don’t rag around like I used too. I like RWD and the flat four, skinny wheels. I was tempted by a BRZ a few months back at a bargain price, a guy had gone from an impreza to buying it new and was disappointed with its lack of power after his impreza, so he traded it in for another imp losing £5k in the process.

Octavia seems to have become a default answer, I’m sure they are very nice but they are a but when the OP wants an interesting car after a 250bhp golf it’s hardly going to excite. S3 however is a good shout.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I get 43mpg from my vivaro. Carries several tandems easily. As for fun, maybe it’s a different sort of fun than you are aiming for 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@oasksey – Cayman S 25mpg, inc city driving (where it’s quite heavy on fuel). Not sure you’ll get much better out of an S3. Not so bike friendly although it will take a roof rack.

davosaurusrex

Just a thought but do you know how strict your firm are with the rules? My firm has similar rules but they are routinely ignored. I know guys driving astra vans over 10 years old who have been trousering the cash for years.

jota180
    Free Member

Is the £350pm to spend calculated after tax and NI?

hot_fiat

I know guys driving astra vans over 10 years old who have been trousering the cash for years.

Guilty as charged. Bought my main barge for £1600 @ 7 years old. Put ~120k on it over three years during which time it cost me, including tax and insurance, a further £2000. I only upgraded to newer cars once my motorway pounding days were well behind me. If I ever have to go back to consultancy I’ll be straight on to ebay, looking for a banger to drive into the ground.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Focus ST Estate would feature highly on my list especially since a FL is due and apparently thats having a knock-on effect to their current new prices.

Octavia looks good and will be massive and reasonably well built but in no means an ‘interesting’ (ie, quick and fun) car to drive. My old mk2 was on coilovers which transformed the handling and made it feel a load better.

335 estate either in petrol or diesel format would feature probably just above the Focus ST estate in my list but I’m not even sure you can get manual versions. To me that wouldn’t be a downside though – devastatingly quick, very well built, plenty of room (despite what the internet hearsay says) and should have a good selection in your budget. Its what I plan on replacing my 330I M-Sport with when the time comes…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Interesting reasonably fuel efficient car that will carry a bike…’ is closed to new replies.