Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Interesting new chain ring for 1×10/1×11
  • Mackem

http://wolftoothcomponents.com/

To fit normal cranks, might not need anything to keep the chain on.

30T too.

njee20
    Free Member

Been discussed a few times, agree they look interesting. They’re doing 88mm BCD for XTR M985s too, tempted.

svalgis
    Free Member

Works are soon coming out with their take on it. Blackspire and e*13 shouldn’t be too far away either.

scaredypants

how does

The unique wide/narrow tooth profile of Wolf Tooth chainrings helps prevent chain-drop

and might they also increase the likelihood of chainsuck ?

Mackem

I suppose if you’ve got a clutch mech pulling the chain you shouldnt get chain suck.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve been running the KCNC ones, (without a guide), this year and haven’t dropped a chain as yet. Proper training starts in a week so I’ll reserve judgement until I hit stuff at racing speed.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Best of all, you are not locked into just one drivetrain brand or a specific crankset — we make chainrings to fit almost everything.

No 102 BCD… grumble grumble…

Trimix
    Free Member

Im really not sure how this works. Also you dont need a clutch rear mech if you have a short cage one and a suitably shortened chain, that will keep any slop / slap out of your chain.

Anyone have any science for this, or is it marketing carp ?

scaredypants

I suppose if you’ve got a clutch mech pulling the chain you shouldnt get chain suck.

or chain-drop ?

Trimix
    Free Member

Agreed, but a short mech and short chain do the same thing as a clutch, dont they ?

Under very extream bouncing down a rock gully for half an hour in the Alps, your chain may stand a small chance of bouncing off. But only a small chance.

legend
    Free Member

Our tooth profile requires much more machining time and tighter tolerances than a standard chainring but the results are worth it.

In short, it’s gonna cost you!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m guessing you need to line the chain up so the wider links sit on the wider teeth?

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Nice. But I’ve found, with a clutch mech, on a 1x10sp setup even over rocky stuff the chain stays where it’s at.

njee20
    Free Member

No 102 BCD… grumble grumble…

Are you surprised!? A proprietary size used on one crank which became obsolete 6 years ago!

Agreed, but a short mech and short chain do the same thing as a clutch, dont they ?

Not really.

A clutch mech stops the chain falling off the bottom of the ring by keeping the lower run taught. However (IMO a bigger issue) is that with the top run flapping around when you’re not pedalling it can get bounced off the teeth, this should help retention by stopping the chain being pulled off as easily.

Trimix
    Free Member

njee20 – my short chain and short mech keep the lower run very taught, just like a clutch. So no advantage for a clutch there.

But as you say, its the top run that needs to be kept taught. I still dont see how this new ring will stop it comming off the top ?

svalgis
    Free Member

It’s been proven to work with XX1 so why not on 1×10? Sure there’s some magic in the XX1 mech but the chainring plays a big role.

Trimix
    Free Member

Perhaps its magnetic then, that will help hold your chain on.

I think I will just stick to a short mech and chain. Its worked fine so far.

andyrm
    Free Member

Looks good – and I can confirm that having seen my mate’s XX1 with no chainguide working, the thick/thin teeth thing works incredibly well – it’s stayed on through big rides, uplift days and enduro races with zero dropping.

Great to see the technology becoming available to more users!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Interesting new chain ring for 1×10/1×11’ is closed to new replies.