Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Interesting daily driver for £3500
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all,

We are currently running two Skoda Octavia VRS and don’t really need two cars that big so the idea is sell mine, stick a lump in the bank and for me to buy a daily for around £3500.

I commute 42 miles a day so need something that going to be reliable but also fun and interesting to drive. If possible with a bit of poke too.

Any ideas what to start looking at?

Cheers

Steve

Superficial
    Free Member

£3500 […] reliable but also fun and interesting to drive.

Sounds unlikely. Unless you have vastly different ideas of ‘interesting’ and ‘reliable’ to the general population.

For that price boring and reliable is maybe just about achievable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Smart Roadster. Can’t promise reliable but you’d get a sorted one.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I assume fun and interesting to drive means driving like a prick?. Slow doon, there’s enough helmets on the road, get something cheap and efficient instead.

renton
    Free Member

Smart Roadster. Can’t promise reliable but you’d get a sorted one.

Should have said I need to get my bike into it too!!

Was thinking Clio 182/197??

renton
    Free Member

I assume fun and interesting to drive means driving like a prick?

Thats a big assumption….. totally incorrect though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should have said I need to get my bike into it too!!

My bikes go in fine (one at a time).

mrb123
    Free Member

Fabia VRS? The old diesel ones were great although may be getting a bit long in the tooth now.

johndoh
    Free Member

I assume fun and interesting to drive means driving like a prick?

Why would you think that?

sharkattack

Fiat Panda 100hp. You’ll get a nice one for much less than £3500 and be able to experience real life Mario Kart.

I want to say Mx5 but for 3.5k you’re looking at ropey old mk2’s and the bottom of the barrel mk3’s.

BMW 325ti. Rear wheel drive, 6 cylinder engine, manual box and a massive hatchback boot. That’s a pretty unique combination. Buy a 318 if you want to use less juice.

oldtennisshoes

What happened to the Cayman?

trumpton
    Free Member

Can you get a bike in the back of a panda 100hp.guess youd need to take both the wheels off.as regards to the clio 182 I think from looking s while ago that you would get one for 4k with 100 000 miles on it. I was reading about people getting through gearboxes and suspension bits and other stuff.they don’t seem to be that well built for the power.i think theres other sporty clios that might fit the bill.

intheborders
    Free Member

We are currently running two Skoda Octavia VRS and don’t really need two cars that big so the idea is sell mine, stick a lump in the bank and for me to buy a daily for around £3500.

I commute 42 miles a day so need something that going to be reliable but also fun and interesting to drive. If possible with a bit of poke too.

– Octavia’s are not that big
    – Money in the bank will generate next to no income
    – £3500 is getting down into ‘fix it weekly’ money – and how ‘reliable’ does it need to be?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why would you think that?

A previous comment that a 1.8 petrol car didn’t have enough oomph for the OP.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

A fast Subaru Forester or Legacy?

johndoh
    Free Member

Still doesn’t mean the OP would drive like a prick though. And it is just as easy to drive like a prick in a 65bhp car as it is in a 650bhp one.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll take your word for it.

TheFlyingOx

EP3 Civic Type R.

Absolute riot to drive when you’re in the mood whilst still being pretty sensible as a normal car. £3500 won’t get you a minter but a quick scan on eBay suggests there are plenty of well-looked after ones at that price (as well as a lot of chavved up ones). Bike will fit with the rear seats down.

jake123
    Free Member

Suzuki swift sport.
    Cheap, fun and reliable.

johndoh
    Free Member

Suzuki swift sport.

I like them – great looking little cars.

trumpton
    Free Member

Suzuki swift sports are great but you have to put the bike on the roof as far as I can tell not enough room in the back.cannot use a rear carrier due to boot design and wing and cannot fit a towbar due to exhaust design.i would like to think I am wrong.

cynic-al
    Free Member

And it is just as easy to drive like a prick in a 65bhp car as it is in a 650bhp one.

The latter is potentially a lot more dangerous.

aldo56
    Free Member

Civic Type R FN2.

Reliable? Aye
    Fun? Aye
    Fast? Sorta alright!
    £3500? Easily

It’s also like a van in the back and the seats fold totally flat so it swallows bikes with ease.

mjsmke

Fiat Panda 100hp

That. Really miss my 100hp Fiat 500. Great fun and reliable.

Or even the twin air engine would be fun.

johndoh
    Free Member

The latter is potentially a lot more dangerous.

Errr. Yes. But it doesn’t alter that what I said is undeniably a fact.

5lab

you already have one hot hatch, so don’t get another

mx5, mk3 mr2

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

£3500 is getting down into ‘fix it weekly’ money

Sure it is.

For that kinda money, with bike carrying ability then as people have said, a semi decent FN2 Type R can be had for less than a semi decent EP3 now. For £3500 thats where my money would likely go. Or any number off this list:
    – Clio 172/182/197
    – mk5 Golf GTI
    – EP3 maybe, FN2 Type R
    – Polo 9N3 GTI
    – R53 Mini Cooper S (a late supercharged one)
    – can you pickup things like Corsa VXRs for £3500 now?
    – mk1 TT? Could get a bike in/on it.

mashr

trumpton
    Free Member

as regards to the clio 182 I think from looking s while ago that you would get one for 4k with 100 000 miles on it. I was reading about people getting through gearboxes and suspension bits and other stuff.they don’t seem to be that well built for the power.i think theres other sporty clios that might fit the bill.

Where’d you see that? I ran one for a few years and always faffed around on ClioSport as a result. Can only remember seeing gearboxes becoming an issue on turbos with over 300bhp and cant remember suspension ever being an issue (except for a Trophy, but then hopefulyl you’d know what you were getting into). If its rear shocks wearing out then they are around £85 each, so not an issue. They actually seem to have fewer issue that people running the likes of a 1.2 from the same era

However…..for running as a daily these aren’t the cars to choose. I sold mine, with a heavy heart, when i started using it to commute. Too many niggles that need time sorting (ever the newest ones are now 15 years old) and not particularly comfy places to be. Still miss that car……

They also aren’t as cheap as they used to be. Mine was £3k when it was 8 years old. Newer ones (197s and 200s) still need more money to buy and drink a LOT of fuel

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

By the way, SOTW on Pistonheads last week was a sub £1000 Panda 100HP. Looked pretty good… Get one of those and save another £2500.

sharkattack

Can you get a bike in the back of a panda 100hp

You can definitely get regular bikes in the back with both wheels off. There’s a few mountain bikers in the owners group on Facebook.

My Geometron had to go on the roof. Even with both wheels off and the shock removed it wouldn’t squeeze down to Panda size.

BMW Compact suggestion still stands. Massive boot.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Another option could be an early 2000s 5 series estate with a 3 litre petrol or diesel

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I would say a skoda ovtavia vrs would fit the bill well. Oh…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Errr. Yes. But it doesn’t alter that what I said is undeniably a fact.

Yes. Indeed. But unfortunately a pointless one.

renton
    Free Member

I’ll still stand by that comment, the car in question was a 1.8 civic with 140bhp, yes it had power but absolutely no torque so needed revving all the time to get moving. Still doesn’t mean I drove it like a prick.

What happened to the Cayman?

Cayman sold before i had chance to get to look at it again.

Octavia’s are not that big
    – Money in the bank will generate next to no income
    – £3500 is getting down into ‘fix it weekly’ money – and how ‘reliable’ does it need to be?

They arent big but we have two and dont need that size of car each.
    Money in the bank will certainly help with the current climate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll still stand by that comment, the car in question was a 1.8 civic with 140bhp, yes it had power but absolutely no torque so needed revving all the time to get moving

I had the exact same car, mibbe there was something wrong with it, as mine didn’t need ‘plenty revving’.

renton
    Free Member

I had the exact same car, mibbe there was something wrong with it, as mine didn’t need ‘plenty revving’.

Maybe,

The point is is that we don’t need two big family cars, our other Octavia we’ve owned from new and its an estate so would prefer to keep that one.

I would like a sport little hot hatch to get me to work and back that going to be reliable and have some poke. Doesnt mean Im going to drive it like a dick or whatever word you used previously

misteralz
    Free Member

We’ve got a mk5 GTI and a mk1 TT 225 on our driveway right now. The GTI we’ve had for six or seven years now. Either will do what you’re asking, happily.

submarined
    Free Member

Sounds unlikely. Unless you have vastly different ideas of ‘interesting’ and ‘reliable’ to the general population.

For that price boring and reliable is maybe just about achievable.

Username checks out.
    Nonsense. Over the last 20 years i’ve never spent more than 2.5k on a daily, and have had a fair few fun/interesting cars (numerous mx5s, mr2, 200sx, Clio Cup etc) that have been, on the whole, pretty damn reliable and cheap to run. Granted, the same cars are more expensive now as they’re older and there are less around, but their shoes will have been filled by something else.
    Pertinently to this thread though, the most unreliable by far was the Clio(172 Cup) – bought the Cup chiefly as there were fewer things to go wrong… but despite buying one with a great history, something minor packed up with alarming regularity. Usually electrical. Final straw was then the clutch plates seperated from the clutch centre on the way to get the clutch looked at.

Loads of good warm hatches in that price range that will be great, just decide what you want and don’t buy the first you see.
    Swift Sport, Panda 100, some sort of warm Fiesta, Legacy GT, some sort of Mini, Focus ST etc etc

renton
    Free Member

Audi TT ??

hopkinsgm

Can you get a bike in the back of a panda 100hp.guess youd need to take both the wheels off.as regards to the clio 182…

…you’ll still need to take both wheels off. I was riding a medium Pace RC405 when I had mine and frankly that was a bit of a squeeze without taking the rear seat base out completely. And bikes haven’t been getting shorter, or wheel sizes any smaller over the intervening 10 years or so. Depending on the nature of the commute, a 182 may not be a great plan anyway. The nimble handling that makes them great fun to chuck around on a track day or on twisty roads with good sight lines, makes then a bit nervous and fidgety for motorway mileage, and the gearing is pretty short too so they’re a bit of a buzz box.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Interesting daily driver for £3500’ is closed to new replies.