Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Interesting bicycling facts
  • alishand

I have a need to come up with an interesting cycling related fact, or facts. Having looked on t’internet it’s all simple one liners (“Did you know bicycles used to be made from wood?”) which is a bit…crap.

I’m looking for interesting, quirky facts from the cycling world which are a good read (any type of cycling…) What does the hive mind have? Anybody know some cracking cycling facts or trivia?!

welshfarmer

Grab a copy of Rob Penn’s book “it’s all about the bike” and have a read of that

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BruceWee

Anyone who says it’s not a Scottish invention is a liar. Fact!

DezB
    Free Member

I read a good article about Pierre Lallement last week. He’s supposed to have been the first person to put pedals on a bike. Can’t find the article, but he’s worth a Google.

DezB
    Free Member

Well according to paton’s link, Kirkpatrick put pedals on a bike before Pierre was born… so which history to believe eh?!

matt_outandabout

Interesting bicycling facts

Bikes are totes amazeballs.

#sciencefact

munrobiker
    Free Member

Decathlon’s range of bikes is called B’Twin because when said in a French accent it sounds like “between”, and bikes go between your legs.

epicyclo

Both male and female round the world record holders are Scottish.

epicyclo

The only world hour record holder who designed and manufactured his own bike is Scottish.

epicyclo

The inventor (or re-inventor) of the pneumatic tyre was Scottish.

peekay

In Angola, bicycles are legally classified as animals.

epicyclo

The inventors of the aeroplane (the Wright brothers) were bicycle mechanics and business owners.

pondo

In Angola, bicycles are legally classified as animals.

Best fact ever. 😀 #fact

epicyclo

The James company built a penny farthing that weighed 11 pounds.

epicyclo

Jack Lauterwasser built a singlespeed all steel bicycle for racing in the 1930s that weighed only 17½ lbs.

(Steel bikes don’t have to be heavy, just carefully made)

Bez

People who don’t like bicycles have more DNA in common with a crab than they do with you or me.

Neil Fox and a crab

phiiiiil

The first paved roads were for bikes, not cars.

stevied
    Free Member

Edward Elgar used to ride his bike on the Malvern’s quite a lot.
    I use this when confronted by walkers who claim that bikes should not be allowed on the hills..

hols2
    Free Member

The world speed record for cycling down a glacier is 242 km/h.

joemmo
    Free Member

Danny Macaskill is actually from Croydon but learned himself how to talk scottish so he could justify smashing his bike through ancient croft houses on his popular video series.

paton
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

I once telephoned a shop to order some pnuematic bicycle tyres…
    Come on paton.. 😉

joemmo
    Free Member

Nicola Sturgeon was the first person to land a triple tailwhip at the 1996 X-Games in Dundee

woody2000

The invention of the bike lead directly to boring old farts talking about bikes on the internet.

🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

Scotland was originally invented in England as a holiday resort to ride bicycles on until its rich deposits of midgies and sub-aquatic gas were discovered and it was sold off in order to fund a national network of hovercraft.

andrewh
    Free Member

In the UK more bikes are owned by 2 car households than by no car households

Bez

If you took all of the Santander hire bikes in London and put them nose-to-tail in one long line, they would fall over.

joemmo
    Free Member

By law, the dutch have to cycle a minimum of 25km a week with fully loaded baskets in order to press the country down on to the sea bed and prevent it floating towards Norway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you took all the hire bikes in Manchester they’d be in teh canals

rs
    Free Member

#fact

bearnecessities

An anagram of mountain bike is minutiae knob.

Bez

Looking at that scatter graph above and logically extrapolating from it, I think we should be looking into the predicted ultra low-energy travel options afforded by salmon on bicycles.

Also we may want to check whether a rat is actually a particularly large flying insect.

stevied
    Free Member

Road cyclist’s don’t shave their leg hair for reduced wind resistance, it’s to make their pubic shrubbery look more manly.

peekay

By law, the dutch have to cycle a minimum of 25km a week with fully loaded baskets

@joemmo
    you joke, but a question on “repareren van een lekke band“ (describing how to repair a punctured bicycle tyre) is actually on the Netherlands Citizenship Test.

Bez

Whereas one of the questions on the British Citizenship Test is listing three of the seventeen officially recognised swear words to shout at cyclists while leaning out of a van.

alishand

An absolutely belter of an effort! (which I hope will continue as its brilliant)

From the interesting…

The inventors of the aeroplane (the Wright brothers) were bicycle mechanics and business owners.

To the suspect…

Danny Macaskill is actually from Croydon but learned himself how to talk scottish so he could justify smashing his bike through ancient croft houses on his popular video series.

To the downright bizarre and hilarious!

Nicola Sturgeon was the first person to land a triple tailwhip at the 1996 X-Games in Dundee

Chapeau!

NewRetroTom

The furthest anyone has cycled in a 365 day period is 86,537 miles by Amanda Coker in 2017.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Interesting bicycling facts’ is closed to new replies.