Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Interest only mortgages
  • mnbv
    Free Member

Hmmm… one broker told me no you can’t get an interest only mortgages anymore, the other said yes no problem – in fact all of the interest rates don’t change whether you’re on a repayment of interest only mortgage.

Has anyone here got an interest only mortgage recently with a roughly 10-20% mortgage?

Thanks,

mnbv

(p.s. I’d be investing the difference between the repayment amount and the interest only amount, so please don’t divert my thread by telling me I’m a financially reckless parasite!)

scotroutes

I got an interest-only mortgage a few months ago (it was only for a few weeks though as I was using it for bridging). It was with Abbey National.

Hohum
    Free Member

The FCA became quite interested in interest only mortgages when it began its Mortgage Market Review and this caused a lot of companies to either severely restrict their lending criteria or pull out of the sector altogether.

samuri
    Free Member

We got one in August but that was on the house we were moving out of.

jon1973
    Free Member

It was with Abbey National.

Do they even exist any more?

scotroutes

As a brand name under Santander, yes.

oxnop
    Free Member

As a brand name under Santander, yes.

Err, not sure they do. And to confirm Santander will only let you do 50% on I/O

scotroutes

I could scan in the mortgage papers I suppose …… 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the other said yes no problem – in fact all of the interest rates don’t change whether you’re on a repayment of interest only mortgage.

Been able to switch to one recently. Though I would suggest asking the broker who said yes…

mekon
    Free Member

Why would you want an interest only mortage? Reason why they aren’t that available is because its a ticking timebomb.

ourmaninthenorth

[quoteWhy would you want an interest only mortage? Reason why they aren’t that available is because its a ticking timebomb.[/quote]

Not if you live in that London….

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Why would you want an interest only mortage? Reason why they aren’t that available is because its a ticking timebomb.

Or your partner isn’t working for a few years whilst the kids grow up and you only have one wage… When they say it is a 25 year deal it turns out you can actually swap before the end, who knew!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with them at all, provided you a) understand what it is and b) are sensible. Which applies to any borrowing.

oldnpastit

I got one in July (remortgage). The mortgage was a fairly small percentage of the property value though and I also had to provide quite a lot of proof that I had some kind of coherent plan in place to repay it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Interest only mortgages’ is closed to new replies.